Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be a flag on each game page that can be checked by a user if the game is out of print. I've seen the question asked repeatedly in forums and I've seen mutiple geeklists on the subject, but the most obvious solution is to have it located directly on the game page. Users could even do advanced searches for out of print titles from particular companies.

(edited for typos)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
use tags...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
arnest_r wrote:
use tags...

Why not use both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many BGG members consider a game out of print when it's easily available in Germany (for example). You'll need an out-of-print flag for each country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could add this to the Wiki part of the description. This would allow for dif. versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:
Werbaer wrote:
Many BGG members consider a game out of print when it's easily available in Germany (for example). You'll need an out-of-print flag for each country.

Having followed the OOP threads for a year, I agree with this statement; you'd have to define what it meant - no stocks with publisher, no stocks with distributor, no stocks with retail shops, no stocks with online shops, etc - and have to do it country by country, and then there's the problem of which version is OOP; the original German version, the Rio Grande reprint/re-issue/International version. The situation is too complex to simplify down to a simple tick box.

"Out of print" means out of print by the publisher, not whether it is still sitting on a shelf somewhere. That would be "out of stock".

Quote:
If you take it to mean "unavailable anywhere in the world", then the chances are that the information would be useless to most people as it would only apply to games 5+ years old, whereas most people are interested in whether newer games are still available.

I think it is hard to gauge what "most people" want, but I know that if I see several GMT games on the shelf of a retailer, for instance, I would like to know which ones are out of print. If I plan on getting several of them over time, but can't afford them all right away, it makes sense to buy the OOP one first.

Quote:
For now, I'm quite happy for people to create Lists of games going OOP on a country-by-country/continent-by-continent basis.

I'm not. It's inefficient and less likey to happen. Before posting this suggestion, I did a search for OOP lists and some were good, some only had one entry, but none had the information I needed.

I understand your position, though, because different people use the site for different reasons, so your feedback was useful.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Waldbauer
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a tag to just suggest that it "may be out of print in your country" could help. Then if it's marked OOP, you know that it might be available outside your country?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
I'm not saying this isn't a good idea, but this is exactly the sort of problem tags were created to solve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Prysock
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that if a flag were to be implemented, it would need to mean that the publisher is no longer offering the game for distributors to order additional copies.

The one thought that immediately sprang to my mind was that it would need to be a flag that was publisher specific. For instance, Britannia is OOP with regards to Avalon Hill, but not where Fantasy Flight Games is concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems a bit backwards to me. A vast majority of games in the database are out of print. It would seem to make more sense to note that a game is still available from a publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.