Subject: Tyrell going East rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Healy
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I've been popping about on this sight, and there seems to be a common thread that suggests that Tyrell goes east early, and contests Baratheon. Is this common?

In the games I've played, Tyrell just expands gently, and maybe contests Greyjoy/helps out Lannister in the Sunset Sea. Later he may go against Baratheon, but never very early.

At the same time, Baratheon is probably the house that most benefits from time to expand. I can see the appeal of a quick Tyrell expansion. But to move the navy east? That might make things easier for Greyjoy...

How does it normally play for all of you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Tyrell going East
I have had a lot of success with tyrell by going east quickly, beginning on turn 1 with an assault on Storm's End.

I will make the following moves:

march-1 on the fleet, move east, march 0 on highgarden, move to Dornish Marches. March+1 on Dornish marches, move the now two footman and knight: 1 footman to oldtown, 1 footman to the reach, knight to storms end. (Or flip the storms end and reach). Alternately, just move a guy from highgarden to the reach to start.

Generally, greyjoy and lannister are too occupied with each other in the first couple turns to do anything, and as Tyrell you cant allow baratheon to have the south.

Note that I might not hold Storm's end, but I will try to make it a battleground, going back and forth, and hope musters come up some time when I have it (especially after turn 1, since then its 5 muster for Tyrell, vs 3 or 4 for baratheon).

Your main hope is that Stark is also pressuring at lest somewhat, and Baratheon cant throw everything at you. If baratheon only has to fight one of Tyrell or Stark, they do extremely well, while Tyrell/Stark do poorly. This is not to say that Tyrell and Stark should all out gang up, but they both need to at least pressure Baratheon somewhat, or Baratheon will grow much too quickly.

After moving the fleet east, of course, Tyrell wants another ship in the west. the Greyjoy/Lannister battle will not last forever, and one of them eventually will become very strong.

You need the fleet in the east to raid against the sea of dorne, or other moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Tyrell going East
Alexfrog (#22553),

I hope this works becuase my attempts as Tyrell to play defensively wating for musters and barring blackwater to Baratheon (preventing them from getting supply, that was my foolish hope) proved to be disastrous.

Up to now, for me "when Tyrell played the game of thrones, they died or they died, there was no middle ground".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.