Robert G.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am looking for some good games to introduce to 2 new gamers in my game group. They were first introduced to Power Grid (one of my personal favorite games), and they enjoy it immensely. I'm looking for other games that they would enjoy and am wondering if anyone has anything to add to a list I have made (seen below) I'm also wondering how good these games would be for new board gamers.

I am considering these games, some from my collection, and some not (incidentally, they are all games I am at least somewhat interested in cool ):

Ra
Samurai
Tigris & Euphrates
Caylus
Princes of Florence
Antike
Twilight Struggle
Battlelore
Ticket to Ride
El Grande
Goa
Age of Steam
Modern Art
Blue Moon City
Tikal
Santiago
Citadels
Hansa
Factory Fun

Edits For: Spelling, clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Sohn
United States
culver city
CA
flag msg tools
Check out my class: https://www.canvas.net/courses/game-design-concepts
badge
How are you today?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Good Games Needed To Continue New Gamers Journey Into Ho
New to board gaming...welcome to BGG this is where it all begins!

Try my geeklist, you can demo the games yourself on a computer:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8323

An added benefit it that you know that you are playing the games with the right rules.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert G.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Good Games Needed To Continue New Gamers Journey Into Ho
Thanks Sebastian, I'll have to try out some of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Good Games Needed To Continue New Gamers Journey Into Hobby
If they liked Power Grid, then all the games in your list look fine to me - I've played all of them (except Santiago) and they're all very good games..

Your friends are already beyond gateway games, obviously, so the field of eurogames is wide open.

In this case, pick some that you want to play. Maybe start with your favorites in your own collection, to learn more about what they like.

Or if in doubt go with the game rankings here - anything in the top 100 should be a good bet:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=game&sortb...

If they want more games like Power Grid - with its tight resource calculations - then I suggest Age of Steam, Caylus, Tikal, or Goa.

Also check into Shogun and Puerto Rico.

I would say the weakest on your list, while still good, are Hansa and Citadels.

Some of those on your list are 2 player, you probably realize already - Twilight Struggle, Battlelore, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buster Brown
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Depending on the type of gamers they are, I think Citadels would be a very good choice. The reason is that Citadels (and Boomtown and Liar's Dice as some other light games) are some very fun, interactive games that have never failed to produce some good times and get everyone into the spirit of meeting and knowing everyone else. And let's face it, that's one of the most important things to making any new gamers to a group feel welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Good Games Needed To Continue New Gamer's Journey Into H
Santiago and Ra, hands-down, best of the group you've listed for new players who like Power Grid. Hugely interactive, multiplayer (several of those listed are for 2 players) and a blast to play. I've twice been in the exact situation, with 2 newbies who learned and loved Power Grid as one of their first euros, and Santiago was even more of a hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We sound like board game sluts... but that entire list looks good... get them all... seriously, they are all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What did ur friends like about powerGrid?

Since it has a few different mechanics it might be worth while to think about what the appeal was. Of course PG is a fan favorite and there is a lot to like about it. It's certainly a heavier game and some of the others on your list are a significantly lighter...so that might be a consideration as well.

Ra - This is a decent light-med weight auction game and would likely work

Samurai - This is one of the best greatest games out there, easy to learn, good options and strategy is typically king
Tigris & Euphrates - surprise This one is not for everyone, and is not one for new gamers as it's fairly abstract. It's a good game though, and one that's a bit better to be taught than to try and learn.

Caylus - snore Caylus is a very good game, but it's not fun for everyone and can be a bit long. It's not more complex than PG though.

Princes of Florence - cry i personally do not like PoF, i feel it's a multiplayer solitare event and think there is really only one strategy, thus is if u get the right cards you'll win. People like it though, and will disagre with me

Antike - snore This is another very long game that i dont feel warrants the play time. I didnt think it was really fun. For a multiplayer light war/econ game go with Shogun.

Twilight Struggle - - haven't played it

Battlelore - - i'm on the bandwagon here. I really like battlelore, and if you feel you have people to play against go for it.

Ticket to Ride - cry boring and too simple, certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the other games on this list.

El Grande - This is a great little area majority game. the new edition is a beautiful game with nice components. It's a good for n00bies and hardcore fans a like

Goa - this is a good little game, features some nice mechanics and large appeal for those that enjoy euro's.

Age of Steam - have not played it, i understand it's not very forgiving for that get off on the wrong foot..

Modern Art - I love modern art, and am bias for this game. For me it's got everything you want, it's fun to do the auctions but at the end of the day it's all about that math and that's a good thing.

Blue Moon City - Haven't played this

Tikal - Haven't played this

Santiago - Haven't played this

Citadels - cry You may be tempted to get this game, but you can likely build a collection without it.

Hansa - Haven't played this

Factory Fun - Haven't played this

Some other games my group loves and plays regularly.

for sale: - simple auction game that is a great filler, we play it at almost every gathering

oasis: - it's a tanga piecemeal, so it's everywhere, but it's a good little game that everyone seems to enjoy.

shogun: - An adult and euroIzed version of risk to be simple. This game totally rocks for me though

keythedral: - Another great euro with a quick play time and low barrier to entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert G.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your great suggestions, everyone. I'm thinking my next order is going to look like this: Age of Steam, Modern Art, El Grande, Twilight Struggle, and Ra. Of course, all the rest will follow very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.