Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"/ is a cavalry-obstructing approach. Cavalry is restricted in attack or defense of an approach with this symbol."

I'm unclear as to which side the / must be on to apply to the defender. If 9 attacks 8, then the leading attacking unit must be Infantry. Must the leading defending unit also be infantry? Or would that only be true if 8 attacked 9? In other words, I guess I'm asking if the icons on YOUR side of an approach ever affect you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
"/ is a cavalry-obstructing approach. Cavalry is restricted in attack or defense of an approach with this symbol."

I'm unclear as to which side the / must be on to apply to the defender. If 9 attacks 8, then the leading attacking unit must be Infantry. Must the leading defending unit also be infantry?

Yes, it must be infantry. Cavalry couldn't defend because the approach is cavalry obstructed.

ekted wrote:
Or would that only be true if 8 attacked 9?

It would not be true if 8 attacked 9, because 9 has a cavalry attack penalty but not an obstruction. Cavalry could lead the attack (at one point reduced strength), and cavalry could lead the defense.

ekted wrote:
In other words, I guess I'm asking if the icons on YOUR side of an approach ever affect you?

The icons on the defender's side of the approach always affect the attacker, and in the case of cavalry obstruction affect the defender as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
The icons on the defender's side of the approach always affect the attacker, and in the case of cavalry obstruction affect the defender as well.

So in this case, the icons on the defender's side affect them both, but the the icons on the attacker's side affect neither? It just seems a little inconsistent with all the other approach rules. I'm not disagreeing with you, just making a point for future design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how you think about it. An equally valid viewpoint would be that it is consistent because in every combat situation, the relevant icons are those on the defender's side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. You got me there. A great way to think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Quote:
Yes, it must be infantry. Cavalry couldn't defend because the approach is cavalry obstructed.

Is this absolutely true?? -- I thought a cavalry piece defending an obstructed approach is worth zero strength points. So, technically: It is allowed to defend, but it is no good idea, since it will lose the attack for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct that cavalry would defend at zero strength, Richard. Nothing prevents you from putting cavalry into the approach.

The original question was "does the leading unit have to be infantry". The answer to that is yes, because even if in the approach, cavalry cannot be selected as the leading unit.

So what I should have said was that cavalry can't be a leading unit, or that it can't add any strength to the defense. I didn't mean to imply that it couldn't die if attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
george,

you are absolutely correct ... I should have take a look at the rules first, instead of telling unqualified things ...

The rule is:
Quote:
Note: cavalry cannot lead the defense of a cavalry-obstructing approach.
to be found at step (4) of the attack procedure.

I could not find a rule which says that cavalry defending a cavalry obstructed approach is worth 0 points. -- So this has to be a ghost of my rules reminding ...

sorry for the confusion.

richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,

I don't think what you said was wrong at all; it's just that there are two slightly different but closely related questions here.

1) Can cavalry defend in a cavalry obstructed approach?
YES

2) Can cavalry lead a defense in a cavalry obstructed approach?
NO

These are exactly the sort of subtle distinctions that can confuse new players. Since the illustrated replay has no example of this occurring, it would probably be worthwhile to have a full example.

Let's say a strength two cavalry unit is in reserve in 8, and a strength two infantry piece in 9 makes a maneuver attack against it. The cavalry can defend by blocking the approach.

Assume both units enter the approach, and remain there in the next turn. Now the infantry can assault. When it does so, it's strength is reduced to 1 (because of the infantry penalty), but the defense strength is indeed 0, because the cavalry can't be a leading unit.

Both sides would lose a step in the combat, and the cavalry would lose an additional step because of the difference in adjusted strength (1 - 0 = 1). The cavalry is destroyed, and the reduced infantry enters area 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.