Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Werewolf: The Three Musketeers
A semi-introductory game based on the Dumas classic.

"Well, I am in a maze," said Porthos; "do YOU approve of what
d'Artagnan has done?"

"PARBLEU! Indeed I do," said Athos; "I not only approve of what
he has done, but I congratulate him upon it."

"And now, gentlemen," said d'Artagnan, without stopping to
explain his conduct to Porthos, "All for one, one for all--that
is our motto, is it not?"

"And yet--" said Porthos.

"Hold out your hand and swear!" cried Athos and Aramis at once.

Overcome by example, grumbling to himself, nevertheless, Porthos
stretched out his hand, and the four friends repeated with one
voice the formula dictated by d'Artagnan:

"All for one, one for all."

"That's well! Now let us everyone retire to his own home," said
d'Artagnan, as if he had done nothing but command all his life;
"and attention! For from this moment we are at feud with the
cardinal."

IMPORTANT: This game if first intended for new players. New players sign up in Cassandra, please (PM me if you don't know how). Other players can sign up via the thread and when start date arrives I will add you in the game by order of posts for the spots left.

Start date
I have this down for starting on April 2nd.

General Format
Pretty standard WW, but with a couple of twists detailed below.

3 wolves (1 wolf priest)
1 sorcerer
1 seer
1 vigilante/hunter
2 priests
1 bodyguard
1-3 white hats (just named roles, no power)
2-6 regular villagers

Team evil:
All evils win if the killers (wolves) reach parity with all others. The sorcerer counts as "others."

Cardinal Richelieu: Wolf. The King's most influential advisor, Richelieu is the most powerful and important man in France. Each night selects (with the other wolves) a player to "kill" - remove from the game. Has a chat room with the other wolves.

Lady de Winter: Wolf. A mysterious, beautiful, dangerous, and ultimately evil Cardinalist agent. Milady has a secret, and she kills anyone who finds it out. Each night selects (with the other wolves) a player to "kill" - remove from the game. Has a chat room with the other wolves.

Comte de Rochefort: Wolf. The Cardinal's private spy, a dangerous man. Each night selects (with the other wolves) a player to "kill" - remove from the game. Has a chat room with the other wolves.

Comte de Wardes: Sorcerer. A Cardinalist agent; Milady is in love with him. Does not know the identity of the wolves. Each night can pick a player to see if that player is the Seer.

Team good:
Wins by eliminating all the killers from the game.

Athos: Seer. The most important of the Three Musketeers, Athos is something of a father figure to d'Artagnan. He is tortured by a deep melancholy, the source of which no one knows. Picks a player each night to see if that player is a wolf or not a wolf. The Sorceror will result in "not wolf".

Aramis: Priest. A young Musketeer, one of the great Three. He constantly protests that he is only temporarily in the Musketeers, and that any day now he will return to the Church to pursue his true calling. While either Anne or Aramis remain alive all roles are revealed.

Queen Anne: Priest. Queen of France. Anne is Spanish, and her loyalties are divided between her Spanish heritage, her position as Queen of France, and her love for George Villiers, the Duke of Buckingham. The King does not trust her, or particularly like her, and the Cardinal hates her. While either Anne or Aramis remain alive all roles are revealed.

Porthos: Bodyguard. The third of the Three Musketeers, he is loud, brash, and self-important. He is extremely vain, and enjoys outfitting himself handsomely; but for all that, he is a valiant fighter and a courageous friend. Each night, picks a player. If that player is targeted by the wolves no kill will take place. Porthos may not pick the same target on consecutive nights not himself.

D'Artagnan: Vigilante/Hunter. The central character of the novel, d'Artagnan is a young, impoverished Gascon nobleman who comes to make his fortune in Paris. He is brave, noble, ambitious, crafty, and intelligent. Like any Romantic hero, he is driven by love and ruled by chivalry, but occasionally prone to fall into amoral behavior. Once per game during night D'Artagnan can choose one player to kill. Also, if one wolf remains with D'Artagnan at the end of the game, good wins.

George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham; Madame Bonacieux; Monsieur de Treville
:
1-3 of these will be in the game. They have no powers beyond that of having a named role. The number of these that will be in the game is random - and which of these will be in the game is random.

Villagers: The rest are plain "villagers." They all have the same exact role and cannot be differentiated. However, feel free to unofficially claim a servant, mistress, or any other thematic equivalent to villager.

Other game info

Lynch will be at 9:00 PM BGG time. Night actions are due by 8:00 AM; If these times aren't the best, let me know; my schedule is flexible.

If the wolves don't submit a kill order in timely fashion, a random non-wolf kill will be made. All others with night actions just lose the action if an order isn't put in. You may put in conditional night orders if you're not going to be around (i.e. if Player X is lynched, view Player Y...otherwise view Player X).

Ties will be broken by longest-held last vote.

Roles will be revealed on lynch AND death until both priests are dead. After that NO roles will be revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
How to Play Werewolf

Teams

The basic setup for Werewolf (or Mafia) is a game pitting two teams against each other. One team has greater numbers, but no knowledge of each other (the uninformed majority). This team is typically themed as the town, village, or good team. The other team has much smaller numbers (usually approximately 1/5 of the good team) than the good team - but they are an informed minority and know who each other are. In fact, they usually are the only ones able to privately communicate anytime during the game (typically). And they are usually themed as "evil" or the wolves. The village (uninformed majority) seeks to kill off the wolves (informed minority) and vice versa. Typical winning conditions are elimination of the wolves by the village - and parity with the village(reaching the same numbers) for the wolves.

Phases and Gameplay

The other basic setup is having two phases of gameplay - day and night. The moderator will begin the day phase by posting [Dawn] in the thread. During the day phase one person will be "lynched" or voted off the game. Typically this is a plurality. Whoever receives the most votes by the "lynch time" will be voted off. This is the only way the village can kill the wolves and achieve their winning condition. However, it is not easy since the village doesn't know each other from the wolves and the wolves do know each other and can coordinate (and usually communicate to do so). When day ends the player with the most votes is "killed". Usually his private role is revealed on "death"(if he/she is a member if the village or the wolves - and usually more specific than that, but we'll get to roles later).

After the day phase ends, night begins. This is the phase when players do "night actions". The main night action taking place is that the wolves get to choose to "kill" anyone - remove one player from the game. Other powerful good roles (which I'll get to in a bit) also submit orders during this time, but different orders than killing. After the wolves choose their "kill" and the other roles submit the orders night is resolves, the wolves' chosen player is removed from the game. The player killed is announced and generally that players' role is revealed on death. Dawn begins, and the cycle begins once again, and repeats many times during the game until victory conditions are reached.

Other Good Roles
As I mentioned, the two basic roles are village and wolves. The village tries to find and vote off the wolves, while the wolves kill the villagers while trying to avoid being lynched - voted off (obviously villagers want to avoid lynch too, so they can lynch wolves instead!). However, the good side always has some more powerful roles at their disposal. Here is a list:

Seer: Typically, this role gets to submit a name each night phase and the moderator will tell them if the name they submitted is a "wolf" or "not wolf". Seers are generally the only way for the village to get definitive information on who is who. However, once the seer gets the information, the trick is when to let on to everyone else that you are the seer (which makes you probably dead in the night) and making them believe that you are. Obviously, this is typically the role the wolves are trying to kill the most.

Priest: In some games either after the killing of a player by vote (day) or by nightkill (night) (or both) the newly dead player's role is NOT revealed to the public. The priest gets private access to this information. One variant is how it is in the Three Musketeers' game. ALL roles are revealed until both priests get killed.

Bodyguard: The bodyguard gets to pick a player each night and if the wolves target that player the bodyguard prevents the kill. Night will end with the announcement "No Kill". Typically, the bodyguard has a few restrictions. Sometimes the bodyguard dies instead on a successful block (and is usually called a "Martyr" instead). Sometimes the bodyguard is injured and will die on a second successful block. The most typical restriction is that the bodyguard cannot choose to protect him/herself nor can choose the same person on successive nights. This prevents a scenario in which (for instance) the seer comes out to the public and since the wolves don't know who the bodyguard is - the seer survives night after night.

Hunter: The hunter role can be a bit nebulous, but typically the hunter is what's called a "parity hunter". That is if the hunter is the last one standing with a wolf, the village wins. Usually one person standing with a wolf at the end is a wolf victory (parity). However, this counters that. Thus, if the wolves get towards the end of the game and don't think they've killed the hunter, they have to worry that this scenario might occur. Alternatively, sometimes the hunter gets to kill someone on death instead.

Vigilante: This role just usually gets a one time (rarely more) kill ability like the wolves - but is working for the good side. A night kill is submitted like the wolves - but the vigilante is hoping to kill a wolf.

There are others that come up through variants and through different ideas, but these are generally the "Core" powerful good roles.

Obviously the good side won't only consist of these powerful roles. Some players are simply part of the uninformed majority - and are just that: uninformed with no ability except to vote. A village member who does not have a more powerful ability is referred to as a "villager". It is important for a game to contain a goodly amount of villagers, because it is necessary for the wolves to be able to have a place to "hide" (claim something without exposing themselves). In addition, the good, powerful roles also try to "claim" (announce it publicly in the thread) villager so as to hide from the wolves night killing them. For instance if there were no villagers - each person could "claim" their specific role and the wolves would have to lie and claim one, too. Then the village could vote off one of the claimaints that are duplicated. With villagers, there is a greater number and it removes this problem.

Other Evil Roles

There are usually a couple of other evil roles that are in the game. The two most common are the "cultist" and the "sorceror". These are called "auxiliary evil" roles or "aux evils". They are on the evil team, trying to help the evil team win. Unlike the wolves, however, these roles do not get to kill in the night - and do not get to talk privately with the wolves. In addition, the wolves do not know who the Cultist and Sorceror is. In fact, the Sorceror does not know who the wolves are. Only the Cultist does (again, typically) which is pretty much the "special ability" of the Cultist. Typically, the special ability of the Sorceror is to submit a name each night to try to find the Seer of the good/village team. Pretty much this role exists so that the Sorceror can masquerade (i.e. lie about their role) as one of the powerful good roles - especially the Seer. Usually, when the Sorceror find the Seer with their night action, they will accuse the Seer of being a wolf.

For a full list of roles, here is a good post: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1330834#1330834

Night 0 Actions

Many of the roles that have night actions get a free night action before the games - with the notable exception of the wolves killing someone. This enables there to be a little information privately floating about on game start. The seer gets a "view" and the sorceror gets a "view". These are the typical ones - there may be others depending on the game. After playing awhile we were tired of these guys getting lucky with their Night 0 picks, so now virtually every game has a Night 0 "random negative action". The players with that role are given a random name - but one that doesn't hit (i.e. The seer does not single out a wolf, and the sorceror does not single out the seer).

How to Play on Boardgamegeek

Cassandra and Threads

Games that are open for sign up and have not yet started can be found in the right column ("Games in Signup") at Cassandra (http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/). Simply click on the game name and click on "Sign me Up!" in the game page. Every game there either in signup mode, or of course in play or finished, will have a thread in the BGG forums. Often two threads occur for each game. First, is the signup thread on BGG that explains the rules and has a signup list - and then when game begins a fresh thread is OFTEN begun. Sometimes this isn't true and the game just begins on the end of the signup thread.

Playing a Game

The biggest part of Werewolf is voting and posting. You can post anything in the thread. You can tell the truth about your role. You can lie about your role. There are no restrictions. The only restriction is doing something that can somehow prove your role beyond the game, making unfair pledges ("If I'm lying I'll send you $100"), or something like that. And you cannot communicate with the players outside the thread about the game unless specified by the rules. Other than that the game is pretty open to anything. Diplomacy and psychology are huge - and associative analysis.

Voting is how the village can vote off wolves - and how the wolves can avoid getting voted off and getting another member of the team voted off instead. Voting is also open-ended. You can vote for someone. And then unvote them. Unvote them and vote for someone else. You can even not vote (not suggested, and generally scorned upon). To vote for someone you simply type Vote Username, enclose it in brackets and bold it.

For example: [Vote dbmurph22]

If you don't want to vote for that person anymore, do this:

[Unvote dbmurph22]

Or if you had wanted to unvote me and vote for someone straight away, you could have done this:

[unvote dbmurph22]
[vote Aldie]

The format of the voting is important because it allows Cassandra (the organizing site) to pick up the vote and add it to the tally. The site does it automatically. It does catch minor typical misspellings, but only some of them.

Dying

When you are killed, again proper etiquette is to not post anything more or talk about the game outside the thread until it is over. In some cases a person is allowed to make a farewell post enclosed by the zombie icons, but these must not contain any pertinent game content.

Cassandra During the Game

During the game Cassandra can be a valuable tool because not only does she/it tally up the votes, but also keeps track of all the posts and post counts per player. That way you can research easily a player without having to painstakingly go through the thread - although sometimes it is difficult to analyze a person's post taken out of context. She also keeps track of when the deaths occur so you can easily see who has died and when they died. Finally, she keeps track of the past voting tallies, so you can look back on previous days' votes in your analysis.

Cassandra During the Game - Private Communications

Cassandra is vital during the game if you have a wolf role - or any role that can communicate privately with another player. On the game page you can find a link title "communications". Go here and you have a private chat room with the Moderator (for any questions). This is the case even if you're not a wolf. However, especially if you are a wolf, you will have another room to privately communicate with other players. As a wolf, you are generally able to privately communicate with other wolves at any time. In other game formats or with other wolves, other players may be able to utilize private communications as well.

-----------

I *THINK* that covers the basics.

Don't hesitate to ask questions - even in the games. People are helpful with this regardless of their role.

And I'm open for any as well.

Here are a few more helpful links:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/118282
(lots of link at the bottom of the first post)

Mafia Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_%28game%29

Another Fun Link (still needs to be completed) of common terms:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/125185/page/1

Above role link I gave:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1330834#1330834

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Placeholder for General WW Strategy (and maybe a slight mention of a thing or two for this game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
CapAp
dalestephenson
dturnerfish
Geosmores
horrormike
Javal
mib668
nashja
Rjphelan
RoyalFlush
Rukasu
TheArchAngel
vandemonium
Verti
Werbaer
WereGhost

16 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1582...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In. If there's leftover space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~MUST LOVE~ ~Geeky Time Lords~
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In ... and if not enough space, I'll watch the game anyhow.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
Potentially in, pending the start date. If it starts April 2nd, I can't play. the weekend after (9th), I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up on Cassandra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. And i want to be one of the white heads

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the theme. Please put me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'll be tweaking the rules a little. I think there are too many false reveal outs for the wolves. I'll be reducing the Cardinal, putting Anne in the game for sure, and changing the priests to passive.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's no big deal. Just read the rules again before game start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
in, if you have room

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy lord, I can't believe I still remember how to sign up on Cassandra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pugh
Japan
Unspecified
Tochigi Prefecture
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be in if there's a spot left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making this game, Murph. I know at least in some small part that you had my tastes in mind when you went for it. Sorry to say I have to step aside on this one. Work and family will need some attention for the short term, once the two games I am in now wind down.

When luck treats my calendar better, I'll look you up.

Redbeard in 84

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
Redbeardin84 wrote:
Thanks for making this game, Murph. I know at least in some small part that you had my tastes in mind when you went for it. Sorry to say I have to step aside on this one. Work and family will need some attention for the short term, once the two games I am in now wind down.

When luck treats my calendar better, I'll look you up.

Redbeard in 84

Come back soon, dude...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dottie - I am female. Do people really think Dottie is a man's name?
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ok, not sure why my join post didn't show up when I signed up.

Sounds fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll stand in if there is still room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J N
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think we got enough. I'm going to go ahead and get everybody in. I think everyone who asked to be in is in.

I'm going to do roles now - but first lynch won't be until Monday.

That way I can give the new players plenty of time to talk to me about their role and ask questions.

Just remember new players - ONLY talk to me about your role. Anyone else is compromising. Especially Javal.

I should also have the "Rules" and "Strategy" articles written for this thread by tomorrow midday. I just don't have the energy at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've got the whole Cassandra dohicky all sorted. Looking forward to it!
Cheers,
Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.