Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Tired of your own game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Swanson
msg tools
I've been developing a board game for over 3 years. During that time, it has changed miraculously. I can honestly say that in its current iteration, it is the best it has ever been. It has been playtested by about 30 different people (all strangers), and I have been able to refine the balance, rules, and overall "essence" of the game because of it.

But right now, I'm just tired of it. Not because I think it's bad, unbalanced, or intrinsically boring, but because I've played it so much.

Has this happened to any other game designers out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Put it aside and come back to it in a few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
Put it aside and come back to it in a few months.

This.

I'm at the 'artwork' phase of a games design with the aim to self publish, and I still can't get enough of it. BUT, I know others who have been where you are. I suggest, as above; give it a break and come back fresh, OR, take it to the next phase - forget the game, it sounds like it plays well and you are happy with it - Move to final artwork and design, think about another aspect of the game for a bit.

At the end of the day, you have to love it, it's part of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always work on more than one design so you don't get burnt out on playing one game too many times that you just start phoning in the strategy. I changed the theme on one of mine to breathe life into it for my sake, not others. It also gave me a two-theme pitch rather than a single theme, giving publishers a choice which works for some and not for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My father, who was a musician not a game designer, always said that you're not ready to perform a song until you're sick of playing it. Take that for what it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gaia
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The thing with creativity is that sometimes the spark at the beginning does not stay for the duration of the project. When it is one of your own projects, you can simple switch to something else or dive into another area that needs development. But, then there are some people who just push through those final stages. But I have yet to meet any person who does not become frustrated or bored, regardless of the work they do. It just human nature to want fresh and exciting things. If you do something totally unrelated (go for a hike, go out with friends, hangout at the park), you might find that spark is ignited once again. But most importantly, don't struggle with your project, if you want to push through, then do so, if you want to take a break, then do so. Don't compound the problem by feeling down about your lack of enthusiasm at this stage, everyone goes through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rollins
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Sounds like a pretty normal experience to me. I think being tired of your own game comes from the lack of challenge of playing it after having mastered it.

I'm also a game designer, so one thing I do to stave off developer ennui is by giving myself handicaps in the game when I play against others.

Stick at it. Your game is probably fantastic by now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.