California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Was wondering what people thought. Seems rather silly but then the game isn't suppose to be too serious. Still, was curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm half tempted to write a review, but I'm a little biased with this one.

cool

Anyway, here's my opinion on it. In a nutshell, there are two campaigns. One is the Moreau Campaign where all the players start off as the new "race" from this book - i.e. The Beastmen. The Beastmen are actually broken down by their different abilities by the type of animal that they are.

The second half is the "Seeker" campaign. This is for people who don't want to start over or for GM's who want to keep with the whole UREF side of the universe. You encounter Moreau and his Beastmen in this campaign and play against them.

In my opinion it gives a new choice as far as the type of being you want to be in case you don't like any of the races that have been released so far.

The nice thing about this expansion is that you do not need Galactic Civil War or Pax Galacticum, as this can be played with just the base Battlestations box.

Gameplay wise, it leans more on the RPG side of battlestation and it may open you and your players to the roleplaying side of things.

That's all I can state at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
As a huge Battlestations fan, I'm not drawn to it: and this coming from someone who *is* drawn to the planned Cthulhu-ish expansion referred to in the back of one of the recent books and other weird and unusual expansion concepts.

I'm very familar with Dr. Moreau: read the book (excellent), saw the movie (not the 1977 one but the 1996 one that I didn't care for), played a short RPG campaign influenced by it once(was pretty boring): it just isn't my cup of tea. Animal people? Not for me.

I'm drooling for the next official expansion book though and will buy *almost* anything they put out for this game; it just has to be at least somewhat interesting to me.

I could be totally wrong and end up buying this, but what the former poster said about it being completely independent of the 2 main expansions is actually a minus for me. I like that they have been building on this system, and hope they continue to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diamondspider wrote:
I could be totally wrong and end up buying this, but what the former poster said about it being completely independent of the 2 main expansions is actually a minus for me. I like that they have been building on this system, and hope they continue to do so.
It is independent of the two, but if you're players were to want beastmen in their campaigns, then this would be the way to do it. OR if you wanted to use the stats to create a unique group for your players to face, then this also would be the way to do it.

Don't get me wrong, you could use the rules from PAX and GCW. But all in all this module should be looked upon as just that, a module. It's not a full blown expansion, but it does add to the Battlestations Universe.

Maybe I should write that review...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
The strength of Moreau is that it's a really cheap mini campaign. 15 bucks and over 12 hours (maybe even closer to 20 if you play both sides) of game time material.

In a nutshell, it's not hardcore stations but rather a nice mini campaign to step away from the usual missions. That's not to say the missions are easy winnable but rather just straight forward which after running as much as I do I welcomed the break.

This module really isn't meant to expand stations (don't worry we are play testing pirates and that's a hard core expansion) but on the other hand its a nice small story genre change.

The book is also a real chance to start adding slowly some of the better RPG elements to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.