United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
This will not end well:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070325/ennew_afp/entertainment...

Two words: "Brian Herbert"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I't outrageous! What's next? Disney making new craptacular sequels of their old movies just to make a quick buck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenHR wrote:
I don't know. I'm not the biggest Tolkien fanboy, but I do own Unfinished Tales and collected the complete History of Middle Earth set as it was published because of its fascinating document of one man's creative process. These books and the Silmarillion show a very sensitive approach to editing on Christopher Tolkien's part. Whether it's a textual study like UF/HoME or an edited text like the Silmarillion, I don't think it's going to be a trainwreck.

I guess it depends on the level of contribution by his son. I loved the Silmarillion, but I believe J.R.R was about done writing it, and it was more of an editing job. But If this book include more writing by his son than him. That is a slippery slope.(Of course I am also a fanboy, and will read it regardless as I did all of the Dune books)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I'll be doing a refresh read of the Silmarillion this week before the release of this book!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Serrette
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno. As a writer, I'm conflicted. I really want to read it to see how it turn out. At the same time though, I think it's wrong to "finish" someone else's work (unless of course that was the intended goal). I think that no matter how great an author his son might be, he isn't his father, and will never know just what he wanted to do, or how he wanted to do it. It just will never be the book that JRR intended it to be when he sat down and began it.

Just my $.02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't some of the Hurin material in HoME? From the material I remember reading in there it was the most fleshed out of the narratives that Tolkien was writing of the 1st age stories. That is, the read feels more like how LotR is written, rather than that heroic style that most of the Sil is written in.

I seem to remember either CT (in HoME) or JRRT (in Letters) mentioning that he wanted to completely flesh out many of the stories written in this earlier heroic style and Hurin's was the one that had the furthest development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
"an epic story of adventure, tragedy, fellowship and heroism" will be familiar to the legions of Tolkien fans.

*snort*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we really need to read what happened to the children of Hurin a third time? (without counting History of M-E).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Well, the book is on the bestseller list. Anyone read it yet? Seems to be getting prettying good reviews.

Any bets on when Knizia's assymetric two-player (not-to-mention steamy) "Túrin and Nienor" card game is going to come out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been re-reading the Similrillion again since it's been a bunch of years since i read it last before reading the new novel. But I should have it read in the next month or so. Here's hoping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the next book I'm set to read. Even though I know the tale well from The Silmarillion & UT, there was never any doubt (being the Tolkien nut I am) that I would get this. With Beren & Luthein, its one of the best stories of the First Age.
Christopher Tolkien has always been very respectful of his father's work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read it. I haven't had the money to buy it. But people at one of the bigest Swedish Tolkien sites (probably the biggest) that have or are, seems to like it quite much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.