7 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A strange, strange galactic order! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
A very strange win against 2 Keldon AI opponents with Alien Artifacts. I started as New Sparta.

52 point victory, including 21 VP tokens and not a single VP token was gained from consuming resources.

I used naked trade in first turn to place Rebel Mutineers, which let me place Rebel Warrior Race for a second +1 bonus. 4 military total, and I had just the card: Imperium Stealth Tactics. +1 military permanently, sacrifice it for +3 temporary. Rebel Resistance on turn 6! Merchant World + Deficit Spending on turn 7, I can discard 4 cards for 4 VP! In the final turns AIs became terribly afraid of Settling, so I grabbed the final 4 points with with Consume-Trade and no resource to trade, just to discard those cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b0rsuk wrote:
A very strange win against 2 Keldon AI opponents with Alien Artifacts. I started as New Sparta.

52 point victory, including 21 VP tokens and not a single VP token was gained from consuming resources.

I used naked trade in first turn to place Rebel Mutineers, which let me place Rebel Warrior Race for a second +1 bonus. 4 military total, and I had just the card: Imperium Stealth Tactics. +1 military permanently, sacrifice it for +3 temporary. Rebel Resistance on turn 6! Merchant World + Deficit Spending on turn 7, I can discard 4 cards for 4 VP! In the final turns AIs became terribly afraid of Settling, so I grabbed the final 4 points with with Consume-Trade and no resource to trade, just to discard those cards.

Having 2, solid, 6-cost devs* definitely helps boost your score without pts in VP tokens! cool

* Rebel Resistance isn't technically a 6-cost dev, but does mimic a 6-cost dev's variable scoring and potential to score big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
The VP bonus on Rebel Resistance is not especially impressive, so you need to play it early(!!?) for maximum potential. But the cost is so high. So it's an awkward card.

That said, it's possible to play it on... turn 2!

New Sparta
Starting hand: Rebel Resistance, Rebel Gem Smugglers, Imperium Stealth Tactics, any card.

Turn 1: Develop Imperium Stealth Tactics, leech a settle
Turn 2: Settle Rebel Resistance!
You now have Rebel Resistance, 2 Rebel worlds, 2-4 military power and a brown windfall wolrd(empty).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
b0rsuk wrote:
The VP bonus on Rebel Resistance is not especially impressive, so you need to play it early(!!?) for maximum potential. But the cost is so high. So it's an awkward card.

New Sparta
Starting hand: Rebel Resistance, Rebel Gem Smugglers, Imperium Stealth Tactics, any card.

You now have Rebel Resistance, 2 Rebel worlds, 2-4 military power and a brown windfall wolrd(empty).

Huh? You don't score rebel resistance till game end, just like any variable VP card. There's zero benefit to settling it early.

Cheers, Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
b0rsuk wrote:

New Sparta

Huh? You don't score rebel resistance till game end, just like any variable VP card. There's zero benefit to settling it early.

Cheers, Graham
Not true. On V, you draw 1 card per REBEL military world in your tableau. In the above example, each V would let you draw 2 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
therealbuserian wrote:
b0rsuk wrote:

New Sparta

Cheers, Graham
Not true. On V, you draw 1 card per REBEL military world in your tableau. In the above example, each V would let you draw 2 cards.

Yes, but the discussion is about VP bonuses. When you settle it makes jobs difference to that.

Cheers, Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
b0rsuk wrote:
There. I've said it that you need to play it early.
Some cost 6 developments are fine at the end, others - not so much. New Economy has a mediocre ongoing bonus, and there are many, many cards with Consume power so it's easier to score much with it. Rebel Resistance relies on quite rare Rebel cards, and unlike cost 6 developments it has the flaw that it's played in the same phase. Contrast to Merchant Guild - you can play Merchant Guild an a production world on the same turn.

Rebel Resistance is similar to Pan-Galactic Guild in that the ongoing bonus is pretty good and nice to have early. It helps you to get more of the scoring cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls