Subject: Easy Mode Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Mobley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Does Easy Mode replace the Basic Game? Been playing since launch and usually play the Basic Game, especially with new players, but I also don't like missing out on the Shadow cards, as that is an important part of the design. So when playing Easy Mode, do you ignore the Basic Game rules? ie. Did FFG mean the Easy Mode to replace Basic Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean. AFAIK, easy mode means you remove the encounter cards marked with a gold ring. Some may be shadow cards, most are enemies or events. Shadow cards left in the deck are played as normal.

This serves to dial down the degree of difficulty. It's the only way my son and I ever play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love Easy mode! Game plays exactly the same. The only changes are removing certain cards.

The original printings of the core and the first expansion and cycle do not have the gold ring to denote them.

There is a list of cards to remove in the online PDF about playing easy mode:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/16/2e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Mobley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Robrob wrote:
Not sure what you mean. AFAIK, easy mode means you remove the encounter cards marked with a gold ring. Some may be shadow cards, most are enemies or events. Shadow cards left in the deck are played as normal.

This serves to dial down the degree of difficulty. It's the only way my son and I ever play.

The Basic Game and Easy Mode were two attempts by FFG to make the game easier. The Basic Game was part of it during launch and, since I have been playing since launch, what I have been using. It involves pretty much just skipping the step where you assign a shadow card to each enemy. Easy Mode came years later and, since I am introducing someone new to the game, and since the Basic Game I have found to still be pretty hard AND you miss out on the mechanic of shadow effects, which the game was designed to have, I am thinking about using it instead.

So my question was does Easy Mode outright replace the Basic Game.

Thank you for the response, SirRoke!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Tremblay
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dont forget also the heros have one more resource each
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As far as I know there's three mechanisms to make it easier:
- start with one resource on each hero (this is how I usually play)
- remove the gold ring cards
- don't deal shadow cards.

I always play with the golden ring cards, until I really can't beat it, like having two hill Trolls instead of one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy Mode
- start with one resource on each hero (this is how I usually play)
- remove the gold ring cards
Basic Game
- don't deal shadow cards.

To answer the original question, neither Easy nor Basic requires or affects the other.

You can play Basic, or Easy, or BOTH.

We tend to play Easy so that aside from setup, the game plays with all other rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.