Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear with me on this for a moment. Thematically it always bugged me a little that human heroes should be so absurdly tough and hard to kill in the face of creatures who, according to science and logic, should turn them into corpses with a single blow.

Then I read the last CoC mission, in which you are trying to keep Beli'al sealed in Cynder. If you attempt the hardest form of the mission and fail, Beli'al escapes and destroys the entire worldgulp!

The scenario specifically states, however, that an unknown power shifts your heroes across the dimensions to a world very similar to their own and dumps them in the Badlands.

At first this seemed to me to be a cheap cop-out from suffering real consequences, from having your characters immediately and permanently killed. Lately, though, I've begun to reconsider.

Whereas everyone else, including human bandits, only have Defense, the equivalent of physical toughness, the heroes have defense rolls which can let them take no damage whatsoever from hitssurprise! They have Revive tokens, which can allow them to rise fully healed, when at the very least they should have been seriously injured or insane. Finally, we know that some extremely powerful force or being has judged and imprisoned Beli'al in Cynder for his crimes.

Maybe that same force, for whatever inscrutable reason, has selected the heroes as its champions, as the ones whom it will empower to push back the darkness and keep the Scourge of Worlds imprisoned. It is the subtle and continuing efforts of this power which enable the heroes to survive things which would kill scores of ordinary men, represented in the game by their defense rolls and revive tokens. And of course it is this same power which mercifully saves the heroes even if they fail in their ultimate task, in the hopes that they might prove more successful at keeping an alt-reality version of Beli'al imprisoned.

What do you guys think of this concept?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a cool concept! And does make more sense then a normal human living through an attack by a dozen fierce monsters that are each more powerful then a bear.

Sort of reminds me of the show Supernatural. The early days they were dealing with petty small monsters but ones that normal humans couldn't handle. As the show progressed they started dealing with demons, angels, minor gods. But got frequent help from powerful creatures. Now they are basically the most important humans on the planet and regularly dealing with major players like the King of Hell and others.

I think the problem with SoB is unlike fantasy games, it feels more grounded in reality (sort of!) You still have to wrap your mind around the fact a iron spike or Poncho can instill supernatural bonuses. Though I suppose the whole issue of magic gates opening all over the place with vast amounts of Dark Stone everywhere could be imbuing everything from boots to people with unusual abilities whether you see it (like mutations) or not (soul powers?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.