Popular Tags: dear_abby [+] [View All]
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
|*...******...*|
badge
HEEEEEEEEEELLLP MEEEEEEEEEE..AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have a problem, a very familiar problem to all of you certainly.

When I was young I was raised with board games. My family was poor but I had a few, and my friends had a few. We played them pretty regularly. Nothing fancy like the games of today or the last 10 years for that matter. During the middle school years that tapered off slowly. We still played them, just less often. Eventually towards my high school years, I had to move to another country, so essentially all my physical friendships got cut off. At this point I more heavily got into video games, and forgot all about board games. This went on for years steadily, never really stopping or slowing down. Always Needing new systems, new games, new PC components.

Before I go on I feel like I should probably explain this about myself. I don't find interest in many activities, but the few I do I go all or nothing. Balls to the wall; there is no middle ground. I really get into every aspect of whatever my mind is stuck on at the time. And I mean REALLY. As an example 6 years ago I was interested in keeping a mantis for a pet. By the end of that year I was a mantis breeder with many exotic specimen. Photos I took of my species got published in a Mantis book written by a pretty highly regarded individual in this field of study. I successfully bred and shared with the hobby an exotic specimen from malaysia (metallyticus Violaceus in case anyone is into this type of thing) that no one here in the US was able to do. Then I stopped to focus more on my work.

Cut to 2 months ago. I'm now 33. I rediscovered my dormant love for board games. My girlfriend saw a copy of boss monster at Barnes & Noble. Being the video gamer I was, the NES style cover and bitmap art spoke to me. We tried it. I was hooked.

then it went all down the drain.

Here I am 2 months later. I'm not a huge fan of boss monster any more, but it reintroduced me to the modern table top gaming. 2 months later and roughly 90 games on my shelf, roughly 27 expansions, and 2 backed kickstarter projects. 2 months later and I don't even want to tally up how many thousands of dollars I'm already in the hole. It's a lot I know that much.
But that's not enough. No. I need to tinker. So I bought some foamboard, and a mish mash of various sized box cutters, xacto knives, rulers and the such. I'm of the hot glue gun schoolby the way (low heat is where it's at), because I don't have time to wait for glue to dry.
And now with the accessorizing. I just spent around 104 dollars on plastic hearts, brains, jewels, pirate dobloons (these are metal though), and other stuff I ordered which Im sure I already forgot I ordered. PLASTIC PIECES! I MEAN WTF?! and of course I already have my eyes on that empty roll for the galaxy expansion box. It's going to make great storage, in conjunction with of course a foam board insert, for all these accessories that provide nothing but extra bling to my games....really 104 dollars?

Then there's the fear of the cards being ruined.
hundreds and hundreds of dollars down the drain sleeving EEEEEEVERYTHING thin enough I could possibly find a size for.

If anything this is showing me oh just how OCD i am. Constantly fidgeting with discard piles, decks, tile decks, tile maps. Checking for perfect alignment, making sure everything is perfectly even. God forbid a tile is off kilter, or a discard pile or deck isn't perfectly cuboid shape

I lost control. I'm addicted to buying anything I feel would benefit my "hobby", or anything I'm attracted to game wise...really more of an obsession at this point already. If I'm not looking for new games, I'm looking for new DIY projects I could do to help curb my costs, or just for fun. I never knew a dice tower would be ridiculously easy to build yourself until now.

So,my question is does this ever stop? Does it ever slow down?
I'm having a ridiculously hard time trying to keep control of my game spending. I came in thinking this was going to possibly be cheaper than video games. turns out it's definitely the other way around. Fortunately enough I have enough control to not go COMPLETELY overboard and spend into my bill money, but it's not by much.

I need help. If anyone, you guys would know how to curb an obsession like this.

Does the novelty wear off? I need to stop buying games like they are bags of potato chips, but it's so hard not to. I do have games I don't really play all that much but I still love them for what they are, down to the most ridiculous games. It's my collection, I can't see myself part with anything no matter how lame I feel the game I just got is.

this is getting long. my apologies.

I just want to know if anyone has tried to pull themselves away for a while and how that worked out. I'd like to know what I could possibly to to try to keep my mind off this wonderful world, as much as I don't really want to.

Bottom line though is I really REALLY need to curb my spending somehow and control my urges. Anyone have pointers for that?

any opinion or sharing your own personal obsessions and what you have done to curb them would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Been there done that. Start looking critically at your games. Look hard at new games. What's it really going to add to your collection. How much is it really going to get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure you have come to the right place for help.

I certainly don't go to a crack den if I'm trying to cut back.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Play some games when you get the urge to purchase. This will probably mean a lot more solo play, but more plays overall is a good thing.

Edit: Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be afraid to amputate or take a torch to favorites. Eventually, you will need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you marry and have children, your money will instinctively know to spend itself on your family...

...and then junior will want to play with Daddy's King of Tokyo monsters and all bets are off. But in the meantime, you'll have learned that the board game black hole lets some of its victims go sometimes if they have a really good excuse, like feeding or clothing their children.

TL;DR: Nature abhors a vacuum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually you will realise a lot of what you have bought is much of the same (a quick glance at your collection told me this); you may already be there, since you're stepping back and taking a look at the situation.

Unfortunately, you may just as easily go the other way; however, I am not so sure this is a bad thing. I have been through that, and after paring my collection down by almost half of what it was, I am nowhere near where I was - because what I experienced first time around has made me more selective in my purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
|*...******...*|
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm divorced with 3 children lol. My kiddos love them. I can feed them and clothe them just fine, I can't save extra money any more though lol.

Yes I definitely see patterns in my game collection. I have been looking harder at what my impulse tells me to buy. I'm learning to control my slavery to shiny looking things. I am an artist for a living though so my collection isn't just about the games. I also buy pretty flat games just because I like the art. it's a reference collection as well.

thanks for the support. Yes I realize I'm talking to a crack den, but hey professional junkies know their methods to control their withdrawals to an extent right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, it will slow down. The general progression goes something like this (your mileage may vary):

(1) Play a game with a friend / buy a game and discover your interest in the hobby (at this point you have no real idea of the cost of a board game)

(2) Start doing research and buying a few games of your own (at this point, $40 on a board game sounds crazy expensive)

(3) Discover BGG and the vast number of games. Start researching and your want list grows at an unstoppable rate.

(4) You buy everything you are interested in, start kickstarting games (at this point you are ok spending $70-$80 on a game if the hype is large enough)

(5) Realize that you don't have the shelf space to hold all of these games, start having bad kickstarter experiences, have several games on your shelf that you're glad you played but don't really need to own. The thought creeps into you mind that maybe you have bought a few too many games.

(6) Start selling/trading games, start looking for local game meet ups to try games before you buy. You are buying fewer games (you are ok spending $80-$100 on a game if you KNOW you will love it)

(7) You start seeing a lot of similarity in games. "Oh this is just X mixed with Y" or "This is a rehash of Z". You lose interest in pursuing the hype train so much and your purchases are fewer and far between.

(8) You settle in on some publishers, designers, types of games that you really enjoy and you start to hone your tastes. You might find yourself buying some older games of these types and spending a good deal to get out of print ones (at this point you are considering spending $150-300 on a single game such as an oop game or a collector's edition).

(9) You may get burnt out a bit on the hobby and stop researching as many new games. (at this point you aren't really interested in the hot new titles and just play the games you know you like)

(10) Your passion gets rekindled and you start buying new games again. You don't restart at (1) thankfully, and you start looking to fill "holes" in your collection. "Oh I don't have a zombie themed bag builder with worker placement yet"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
|*...******...*|
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bpierce72 wrote:
In my experience, it will slow down. The general progression goes something like this (your mileage may vary):

(1) Play a game with a friend / buy a game and discover your interest in the hobby (at this point you have no real idea of the cost of a board game)

(2) Start doing research and buying a few games of your own (at this point, $40 on a board game sounds crazy expensive)

(3) Discover BGG and the vast number of games. Start researching and your want list grows at an unstoppable rate.

(4) You buy everything you are interested in, start kickstarting games (at this point you are ok spending $70-$80 on a game if the hype is large enough)

(5) Realize that you don't have the shelf space to hold all of these games, start having bad kickstarter experiences, have several games on your shelf that you're glad you played but don't really need to own. The thought creeps into you mind that maybe you have bought a few too many games.

(6) Start selling/trading games, start looking for local game meet ups to try games before you buy. You are buying fewer games (you are ok spending $80-$100 on a game if you KNOW you will love it)

(7) You start seeing a lot of similarity in games. "Oh this is just X mixed with Y" or "This is a rehash of Z". You lose interest in pursuing the hype train so much and your purchases are fewer and far between.

(8) You settle in on some publishers, designers, types of games that you really enjoy and you start to hone your tastes. You might find yourself buying some older games of these types and spending a good deal to get out of print ones (at this point you are considering spending $150-300 on a single game such as an oop game or a collector's edition).

(9) You may get burnt out a bit on the hobby and stop researching as many new games. (at this point you aren't really interested in the hot new titles and just play the games you know you like)

(10) Your passion gets rekindled and you start buying new games again. You don't restart at (1) thankfully, and you start looking to fill "holes" in your collection. "Oh I don't have a zombie themed bag builder with worker placement yet"

Ive been pretty much bouncing around 1 through 4 on the first month and 5 through 8 all of may. well the first half of 8. Not really looking for out of print stuff at the moment. I do not currently see the value in spending that amount of money on something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The most valuable gaming accessory is a challenging and dedicated game group. Spend your efforts finding and or cultivating the best game group possible. You'll be too busy playing games to shop for and bedazzle them. Then you'll realize that sleeves and inserts aren't as important as exploring games with clever people and 1 deep game with the right players is far superior to 100 good games with mediocre/unenthusiastic opponents.

That said, this hobby is worth the money and sometimes ya just gotta fill your cart to $100 for that sweet free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
|*...******...*|
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a tattoo artist, I tattoo a lot of geeky people. I have a game group at my house every friday night, and pretty much any night of the week I can get my friends to come lol. And yes that free shipping. I've come close a couple of times with the intent on buying something for like 15 bux, and 20 minutes later I'm trying to find that last item to get me even, or a little over 100$. fun times. I snapped out of those though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you are in that exploration phase. You're learning about the boundaries of the hobby: how far does it go this way and that way? This not only encourages buying games to try new things, it also plays into learning about your personal boundaries. This is part finding out what type of collection you want and part finding out what games you can use (i.e., get played based on your circumstances).

There is a very high probability you slow down substantially and start culling, as has been said above. Most likely you still buy games over the long term, fewer some months and more in others.

A very small fraction of board gamers go really far (I game with this guy about once a month), but that is far outside the norm. You probably settle into the 150-400 games owned range, depending on your style and preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it keeps you happy (and you still can pay your rent and get food on your table), there's no need to worry. That's what hobbies are for.

And welcome to the club. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually found that running out of closet space made me look at my games and take a step back. I don't own that many yet, as I simply don't have time to play as much as I'd like, but it's getting to its maximum if you ask me.

I have started selling out of some more simple games that I'll never play ever again, since I found the more complicated games. Also, if I bought a game and played it once and never again, it gets moved to the maybe-pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
Eventually you will realise a lot of what you have bought is much of the same (a quick glance at your collection told me this); you may already be there, since you're stepping back and taking a look at the situation.

Unfortunately, you may just as easily go the other way; however, I am not so sure this is a bad thing. I have been through that, and after paring my collection down by almost half of what it was, I am nowhere near where I was - because what I experienced first time around has made me more selective in my purchases.

Agreed. It gets to a point where you'll have your favourite games in each area, and although its nice to play something different now and then you'll develop your go to games.

Obviously the less you get to play the longer it takes to discover these go to games.

There is a lot of repeated mechanics and gameplay in games, you'll generally find the game that does it best for your taste (whether mechanically, payer count or theme etc.)

Getting rid of that, "but just in case" feeling of having 20 varieties of the same game that varies just theme or player count by one etc, will eventually become apparent it doesn't matter as for the rare times it does there are still plenty of other great games in your collection that will feel the slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Iliev
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
I actually found that running out of closet space made me look at my games and take a step back. I don't own that many yet, as I simply don't have time to play as much as I'd like, but it's getting to its maximum if you ask me.

I have started selling out of some more simple games that I'll never play ever again, since I found the more complicated games. Also, if I bought a game and played it once and never again, it gets moved to the maybe-pile.

Basically that.

Get a decent shelf or 2. Fill it up with your games. And make that your limit. If you want something, and it doesn't fit, rid yourself of another game.

Game that I haven't touched for more than a year (not including wargames) I post for sale. (Sometimes they sell fast, sometimes they don't).

I am not selling it for the money really, but more so that the game gets played feel sad for it siting and gathering dust (metaphorically speaking... I would never get dust on my games).

Of course there are exceptions, like if the only type of game that is left in my collection and so on.

----====-----
Believe me I get you. I have the tendency to check my local store's website 3-5 times a day, so I don't miss anything. And usually end up ordering at least 1 game each week.

You could also simply set a budget, but I think MAX number of games in the collection is good way.

Only get a specific game if you think it will be better than something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Iliev
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting "thinning" your collection. I know its "bad". I was so reluctant to doing it and took me way over 2-3 years before I tried selling my 1st game.

But basically I open my collection here and take a long look at all my games. Then consider would I ever play "this" over "that".
I rid myself of Runewars, because I would much rather play Forbidden Stars over it.
Sold Exodus, because even though TI3 is longer, I would always choose to play it over the other.

Some games I solved really fast and there was nothing more then repeating the same process of playing them, which is boring for me. (Alchemist)

Other games just didn't click with my group (Dungeon Dice)

------
But don't worry Every time you buy a game the community cheers with you

And every time you sell one, some one else gets to enjoy it, so no loss there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
It becomes quite easy not to buy everything when you don't have money, or you don't get paycheck for several months(and your paycheck is 350$ to begin with,lol)

Although if you have founds, you enjoy stuff you spend them on, I don't really see the problem. In the end if you get bored, you can always sell games for 60-80% of price you payed for them(depends about game, condition,avaiablity etc.)
Someone is spending money on going out, alcohol drugs...you are spending them on games & hobby you enjoy. It's your money.
Will it stop? Probably eventually. You might get bored slowly, or you might find some new thing that interests you more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing is most video games expire and only some make reappearance or get graphically redone and re-released. Boardgames, ignoring the out of print stuff, have longer lifespans. If you do not have narrow tastes and like to acquire rather than borrow, this hobby can dent your wallet. Kickstarter exclusives and boardgame accessories only exacerbate the problem.

But as with any luxury or hobby, you have to just work on self control. Living within your means is a learned habit. Work on a budget with solid numbers you can follow. Get those who you trust to support you and help you watch your spending if you cannot do it alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy remove two games to add a new one. Easy way of removing games is purging games that have sat dormant for 12 months without plays. Better yet any new game that does not get played in its first 12 months gets purged automatically. When this bites on your wallet and you see games disappear that are not played you will soon stop if you are mentally sound
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:
Although if you have founds, you enjoy stuff you spend them on, I don't really see the problem. In the end if you get bored, you can always sell games for 60-80% of price you payed for them(depends about game, condition,avaiablity etc.)

That's one benefit over video games. The money you spend on board games isn't gone. Not entirely. Much more chance to resell at a reasonable price, especially if you're taking really good care of them.

I'm about 4 months into the hobby, and despite many boring office hours looking at BGG and various online stores, I've held off on some of the £100 baskets I've been putting together. Sleeves be expensive though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just reading a book about habits, and the only way to stop a habit is to replace it with something else that gives you the same rush of reward.

I agree, finding a gaming group is helpful because you can tailor your collection to what will actually get played. Be realistic with yourself -- if you didn't really enjoy a game that much, let it go. Don't get an expansion until you have played the base game once. If you didn't really enjoy the base game, the expansion probably isn't going to fix it.

Hone your collection. You probably have a favorite mechanic, or genre, at this point, let the games that don't fit in go. Not all games are great, not all designers can make great games every time.

Also no need to sleeve everything, if it gets played just once and a while, it's not going to get ruined.

Having given this advice, I too have a hard time letting go of games and I have regretted selling some, that's for sure. Some I am glad they are gone and I don't miss them.

Good luck! If you aren't happy, figure out what's bugging you, and change that thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fogus
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To curb your buying habits I'd recommend focusing on a single game... like Magic: The Gathering.

sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
|*...******...*|
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I woke up to this this morning, the ideas are great, and seeing that people went through the same thing is somewhat relieving. Today was the first day in a long time where I didn't wake up having the urge to get on the computer and peruse for a potential purchase first thing in the morning.

I think it's because of this thread, so I really have to thank every one of you.

AS far at MtG, that scares me. I try to stay away from collectable games that come with boosters. I would NEED to have the full set and that can get ridiculously expensive. When it comes to that I stick to package games with packaged expansions that don't come with the luck of the draw of booster packs. With that said I did just receive a starter copy of Dice Masters (I have it bad for dice), which is just that. Seems more affordable, and who knows if I don't like it, I don't have to go collect it.

Currently Pixel tactics is still my favorite of those types of games, but star realms is great too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.