Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Historical tabletop rulesets which would make excellent board wargames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

For those also playing historical tabletop wargames with miniatures : which ruleset, with some conversion effort, would make an excellent board wargame ?

Years ago there was this hybrid Battleground Historical Warfare: Second Punic War 218-201 BC, then the excellent Saga, also a hybrid, and more recently well-respected ruleswriter Sam A. Mustafa created Aurelian that was originally meant to be both a historical ruleset and a boardgame.

But as to pure tabletop rules I'm thinking Lion Rampant would work, a skirmish level medieval game. We haven't had a good boardgame one since the days of Cry Havoc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most tabletop rule sets could be changed to a boardgame with a little effort. I don't doubt that some may make the transition a little easier but I guess if you take the main idea of the tabletop you could use that with a boardgame.

One aspect of tactical tabletop gaming that I quite like and which seems to of not moved into boardgames is stepped range. The idea that the effect of a weapon is the same if it is 1 hex away or of it is 10 hexes away seems ludicrous. I know some boardgames give a bonus for being adjacent and some allow firing at twice the range for a penalty but for me it's not enough.

I am not sure why but Ambush has the feel of a tabletop game in a boardgame.

I think its Sergeants that comes in both minis and non minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have thought of making paper maps and cardboard counters to be able to play CrossFire: Rules & Organizations for Company Level WW2 Gaming or Square Bashing 1914-1918, because that is the most realistic way I can get all the units and terrain I need before I retire. But I can't say that they would be good as I have not even played them with miniatures so I do not know if they are good in their original format.

The thing that I find interesting about miniature games and would like to see more in boardgames (is not free movement...) are all the systems for making your own scenarios, building armies, new maps every time. Usually some variation of buying your units, players alternating to place terrain, and that, rather than scripted "historical scenarios" (that tend to not play so historical anyway because of the scripting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:

The thing that I find interesting about miniature games and would like to see more in boardgames (is not free movement...) are all the systems for making your own scenarios, building armies, new maps every time. Usually some variation of buying your units, players alternating to place terrain, and that, rather than scripted "historical scenarios" (that tend to not play so historical anyway because of the scripting).

This is similar to the Random Scenario Generator (RSG) in Combat Commander. Although I have never used it I think some people prefer it to the predefined scenarios that come with the game. You pick your own units, you have a different map which can be rotated for a short or broad front, this is all balanced out wih a swing in VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmb

For me the greatest advantage of Boardgame over miniatures is the lack of measuring, which caused more arguments than anything else amongst the various groups I have played miniatures with (followed by cocked dice on terrain features) especially when gaming with Mr Stretchy Ruler.

I think it's why I didn't get on with the battleground series and it still lies languishing in a box somewhere.

I would like to see 'Chain of Command' as a Boardgame. The clever use of jump off points and deploying units onto the map would work well for randomising different scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

I would like to see 'Chain of Command' as a Boardgame. The clever use of jump off points and deploying units onto the map would work well for randomising different scenarios.

I think that mechanism would be worth borrowing for ASL, ATS or other similar systems to set up more realistic "roll your own" scenarios. I bought the rules primarily for that possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature games that use hexes and squares for movement seem like naturals for converting to boardgames. For example: Regimente of Foote, To the Strongest!, Hordes & Heroes, Demonworld.

A number of the Yaquinto games were miniatures games translated to boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Miniature games that use hexes and squares for movement seem like naturals for converting to boardgames.

But even if not - there are many rules out there where every move/range distance is a multiple of 6 inches. Converting those to hexes or squares is pretty straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.