David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day all,

"Sergeant Eandi take your section and clear the bunker beyond those woods on the right flank."

Since we are all waiting so patiently for WW2 WF, I thought that I would provide a teaser with some information from a play test.

Note: it is a playtest - some rules/effects may change before final production

Play test US section in 1944 Europe - German hostile - core game cards only

Play test objective:

Section design considerations:
I wanted to field a WW2 section - both in size and mix of weapons.

So I selected:

Mission: Long way - 104 RP, time 23, objective #11, Loadout -4
Objective: Bunker Clearing

Section
Eandi PS Leader Panic M3 SMG Satchel Charge 2 canteens
Hernandez PS Panic Bazooka w 3 rockets M1911 pistol 2 canteens
Kasinski PS panic M1 carbine w 2 M17 Rifle Grenades 2 canteens
McDougal PS panic M1 carbine Mk2 grenade 2 canteens
Pacheco NPS panic Scoped Springfield 2 Mk2 Grenades
Scablands NPS panic BAR LMG
Walsh NPS panic M1 Rifle Medic
Allen NPS panic Close Combat M1 Carbine 2 Mk2 Grenades
Roble Squad panic Loader
Smith Squad panic
Taylor Squad panic

Panic is a WW2 "skill"
Too get the section and weapons that I wanted, those soldiers that did
not have panic - was inflicted on them getting 9 more RP for a total of 113.

Why only one skill - Leader?
The soldiers themselves came with starting XP, so I didn't need to take that to start, and so looking at all the skills and my desire to play a section - Leader for 5 RP giving all soldiers a +1 move was too good to be passed up. It helped in about 2/3rds of the locations.

Why M1 Carbine and not M1 Rifle?
If it was not for the mission -4 LO, I would have gone for M1 Rifles,
rather than M1 carbines - I prefer the Rifle's Pen 1, even though Reload is 2.
But LO limitations meant taking the LO 2 carbines - while I could have taken M# Grease guns.. I like the carbines to hit at Range 0 and the ability to hit at range 1.

Things that go Boom?
I took the Bazooka and Satchel charge because at 11 locations and 100+ RP - I was almost certain to come up against one Hostile tank, and it also proves useful against high DC units (especially Elite MG behind sandbags!).
I would have liked more Rifle grenades and Mk 2 Grenades, but again the LO limited my soldiers and the WW2 WF core cards had nothing along the lines of the modern MOLE.

Why so much water?
As in WF modern the ability to draw additional cards by expending a canteen is very useful. With so many soldiers with low move - I might need to expend cards to enter locations and if all else fails the ability of having potentially 35 cards in hand (17 from health plus 6x3 from canteens) always appeals to me.

What about all the other equipment?
I'd have liked to.. but ran out of RP and/or LO.

The PLAN!
Advance by fire and movement, preferring locations that did not reinforce and overwhelming the hostiles as we went.
In the past I used to have a scout section ahead in case of minefields and other nastiness that would foremost soldiers location, but a recent change to hostiles/events meant that wasn't as nasty, and so I could group up more in the front location and leave as rear guard Pacheco (NPS) with his Scoped bolt action Springfield, and sometimes a soldier or two that was short on actions to move. The disadvantage being that any area that reinforced would..
As usual the LMG would be used along with the Rifle Grenades and Sniper to suppress/EKIA the hostiles who would make it hard for the rest of the section to close to assault the locations(ie those Hostile with entrance cost).

Game play key notes to follow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping steady pressure on the Hostiles, advancing 1 location a turn except for a couple of pauses to neutralise by passed Hostiles.

Stay liw'ed both the road and the large warehouse, which with the ruins, houses, marsh and pastures not reinforcing meant that it was only the last three locations that could reinforce.

The Large Warehouse and Scrounge action cards kept the section supplied with canteens and grenades to replace those that were expended.

Due to good planning and good luck, the soldiers were only attacked three times - and defensive action cards prevented any wounds.

The Hostile Mortar team that had been so annoying in other missions was destroyed by the soldiers Mortar Support in turn 3 - well before the soldiers got in range.

Particularly difficult opponents - Sturmtruppen, Sniper Teams and Machinegun Teams.

My feedback was - some Hostiles and events could be made a bit more deadly. Of course if you find the Hostiles too easy - you could just play against the Elite Hostiles, too hard just against the Front Lind Hostiles and of course having them mixed gives you a middle ground.

As usual the best section weapon was the deployed LMG, followed by the Rifle Grenadeer and then the Scoped M1903A4. Even though it was bolt action.

Normally I prefer the M1 Rifle, but the lighter M1 Carbine provided sterling service. I would prefer the M2 carbine to the M3 SMG.

The PzIV could have been more of a threat if if had entered play before the last turn of the game. Perhaps next time.

Conclusion
Mission success with 9 turns on the clock.
Section played like a WW: section.
Hostiles and events could be a bit more difficult, but I was also lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One effect of my play style - having the NPS and Squad soldiers do their shooting first usually - is that they accumulated a lot of the XP!

Since XP is a shared resource - the "problem" with that is I had some easily downed soldiers (1 or 2 health) with up to 6 XP.

This risk is worth it IMO as it allows my player soldiers to devote more attention and actions on playing the action cards and drawing more.

Hernandez attacked 5 times in the whole mission! 3 Bazooka shots (PzIV, Sdkfz251/1 half track and Elite MG team behind sand bags. Twice with his Pistol - a "Silver Bullet" shot and a almost certain hit (2 up gun Combined Fire, up gun Steady Aim and Prepared Fire).

Eandi was similar - his M3 Grease Gun hardly got hot... Though he went through 6 canteens!

Kasinski was rarely fire a live round from his M1 Carbine, he was firing blanks to propell his Rifle Grenades ahead of the assault.

McDougal (Health 5) was the player that attacked the most. In one soldier turn 6 times! A flanking attack followed by 3 snap shots and 2 actions!

Having a look at some of the expansion Hostiles - I can see some definite challenges ahead for my soldiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing different to my normal play.

In my relentless drive to the objective - I would leave some Suppressed Hostiles behind. If they got back in range I'd suppress or destroy them, but otherwise my focus was on my advance.

At the end of the game I had behind my section two mobs of stragglers, one of reserves, one of flankers and one of Ambushers.

Of course I never left a MG, Sniper, Truck or Officer behind! They would all be overwhelmed as soon as possible.

Just interesting to see the difference in my play style... Must be that Eandi as a Leader was driving us all on to the objective!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any more AARs? whistle

I'm still waiting for my final copy of the game to arrive before playing again. snore

In the interim - If people would like to share their section's war stories I for one would be interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still in the process of sorting all the stuff and sleeving it. But I may whip something up this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.