Subject: Chinese Hexy Checkers (or Chexy) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eugene Fitzgerald
United States
Hacienda Heights
California
flag msg tools
Lots of gamers have a Chinese checkers board, but far fewer have a Hex board. This multiple game superimposes a 11X11 rhombus parallelogram over the lower left point, the center hexagon, and the upper right point of the star to accomodate a Hex game. It takes only another string of holes around those two points, plus an additional hole in each of the obtuse corners in the Northwest and Southeast star valleys. Some addtional marbles or pegs in two colors are also needed to play Hex.

Drill additional holes in wooden boards. There may not be room at end of outmost points, but Hex may still be played. I chose to use a LiteBrite game from a thrift store. Get one with sufficent pegs. I designed a permanent expanded Chinese star on the pegboard. You may wish to use www.hasbro.com/litebrite/swf/lite_savingswf to first prefect the design, guided by the following information. "Peg" every other hole in all directions. Place first peg in the center peghole of the fourth row down. This peg will be the top point of a large equilateral triangle, after the insertion of 13 pegs on each side of the triangle. Place 6 pegs within top point of the star (leaving spacing holes around pegs). Equally extend the last row of pegs outward in each direction until you have 13 pegs. This row will be the top side of a inverted equilateral triangle. When sides converge at bottom point, you will have a Star of David. Now fill in the other points of the star with pegs. As each peg is removed from a playing hole, the surrounding spacing holes must be filled-in level with the board. I cut tiny pieces of spline (used to keep window screens in their frames, but putty or another filler might work). After the points are done, peg the center hexagon, and again fill surrounding spacing holes as pegs are removed. The Chinese star is now complete. Add necessary pegs beyond edges of star for playing Hex as mentioned above. As you remove these Hex pegs, plug spacing holes and any unfilled holes in outer border.

The expanded center hexagon will allow games like Abalone, Unlur, trinidad, etc. to be played. Hopefully someone will market this expanded board with the additional needed pegs or marbles.

See Star Runners Ludo at: www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1415090
This is a Pachisi type game played on a Chinese Checker Star. The site has a diagram of a Chinese Hexy Chexy star.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I also made the same observation regarding a Chinese Checkerboard and Hex. You don't get a full Hex board, but for those new to the game, it is a useful way to try one of the landmark abstract strategy games that launched a new sub-genre in abstract strategy games, the connection game. Here is my video:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.