Subject: Settlement Event Sleeving Solution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John di Battista
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
As many of you know Settlement Event cards are weird shaped and no one makes a sleeve to fit them perfectly. I figured out a way with the Ultra-Pro Horizontal Booklet Sleeves used for Settlement Locations and an impulse sealer.

Impulse sealers are used in packaging to seal things in cellophane or plastic. They run between $20-$50 on Amazon depending on size and look like this.

/tangent

I got one initially to experiment with impulse sealing double sleeved magic cards. The results were actually pretty amazing. The seal, if done correctly is water proof and air tight. Double sleeved cards sealed in this manner (I.E. NOT KINGDOM DEATH SETTLEMENT EVENTS DO NOT DO THIS WITH KINGDOM DEATH SETTLEMENT EVENTS. YOU ARE NOT DOUBLE SLEEVING NOR ARE YOU WATERPROOFING THE SEAL ON THE BOOKLET SLEEVES WHICH ARE NOT WATERPROOF OR AIR TIGHT ON THEIR OWN. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DO STUPID THINGS) will be unaffected by spills, humidity or dust. They will also float. I submerged a land in my bath tub under a brick overnight and cut it out in the morning with an exact-o knife. Same condition coming out as went in. If you don't mind pillowy cards I'd recommend it, especially for anything valuable.

/tangent

So first you place the settlement event in the sleeve and push it down to a corner:

Then seal it like you would normally, to be snug, but not constricting:
Back

Front

Line it up carefully with the heating element in the impulse sealer. You can't tell from the picture, but you can see the heating element through the nonstick teflon cloth. Once lined up press down to seal. The setting on mine isn't for heat, but time. I find 3 works best with card sleeves. Too short and you won't seal, too long and the heat will distort the plastic too much. Make sure to seal 1/8-1/16 inch or so above the actual card. You don't want to melt the plastic to it. When pulling the card off the sealer wait about 5 seconds and have a butter knife to gently slide in between the card and the teflon strip. If you pull too early or too hard you can warp the sleeve.
Should look like this (boxes are for a level surface):

End result should look like this:

Next just line the weld up in a paper cutter and snip snip:

A metal straight edge and an exact knife works as well.
Now if you've done everything right your end result should like this:

Note: There will be some waviness on the impulse seal, I haven't found a setting which does not do this. It's manageable though.
Also PRACTICE before you do this with actual cards, there's a little bit of an art to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did exactly the same but without the sealer.
Instead I've used soldering iron and metal ruler. Works like a charm.

Also, I wouldn't risk doing the actual job with the card inside, so i did it the proper oldschool way with taking measurements, marking and then sealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, too risky in my opinion and still leaves a seam in the back of the card. I prefer to use the well known solution, which is using two sleeves for each card, one from the bottom, another from the top (the bottom one needs to be cut in the side to allow for the second sleeve to fit, but it isn't a big of a deal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dais Rajura
msg tools
Those postcard sleeves are very poor for the settlement events. They are too short, too wide, and very poor for shuffling. I bought a pack, sleeved one card and promptly tossed them in a drawer never to be seen again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Demian
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

3 or 5 mil cold laminating sheet on top, something like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IC7H/?tag=article-boardgamege...

cut straight with craft scissors, use Goo Gone to remove any residue on the scissor edge, something like www.amazon.com/Scotch-1448-Precision-Scissor-8-Inches/dp/B00...

Corner punch: http://www.amazon.com/Sunstar-Kadomaru-Corner-Cutter-S476503...

I'll post pictures on Vibrant Lantern next update

edit: speeling + links

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wait, no,my mistake, I did it all different completely.

For the events I bought postcard sleeves of great quality that fit perfectly in width but had to be cut in length.

For the locations i did my own sleeves from bigger postcard sleeves which I've sealed to the proper size using smoldering gun and metal ruler, then cut. They are perfect.

I have to make my own thread with all the things I did for my KDM some day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adventurous Moose

LOUISVILLE
KY - Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmb
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:
Oh wait, no,my mistake, I did it all different completely.

For the events I bought postcard sleeves of great quality that fit perfectly in width but had to be cut in length.

For the locations i did my own sleeves from bigger postcard sleeves which I've sealed to the proper size using smoldering gun and metal ruler, then cut. They are perfect.

I have to make my own thread with all the things I did for my KDM some day.

Do you know which sleeves your purchased?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are 90mm X 190mm, and I ordered them from China. The shipping was free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bumping this thread to see if anyone's found a better sleeve size...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
bumping this thread to see if anyone's found a better sleeve size...

I have these on order. Based on the pictures posted in the facebook group all they need is a bit of shortening to be a perfect fit.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greasy Reese
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
I have these on order. Based on the pictures posted in the facebook group all they need is a bit of shortening to be a perfect fit.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thanks for the link, I just ordered some for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best solution I've found is this. These are 90mm x 190mm paper money sleeves, I bought them in China. I think they were $2,80 for 50 pcs. They need to be trimmed and as you can see they fit very well. The quality is very good. The shipping to Poland was free.

This is the same stuff:

LINK

And how the stuff actually looks like on cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Mine arrived. They are a very close fit, mine are tighter than it looks like Krzysztof's are. Slight bowing if I just put them it it goes away if I tug the sides to stretch them a bit before putting the card in. I have some sleeved and under weight at the moment to see if the stretching will take long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.