Popular Tags: [View All]
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know they were making a Star Trek Risk game. Normally I wouldn't look at a re-theming of a mass market game like Risk. However Risk: Star Wars Edition has shown that a "Risk" game isn't always like all those Monopoly re-themes, but instead it can be it's own game. I wonder how the game will play.

Has anyone else heard anything more about this game?

Found this link. Not a lot of additional information.

http://usaopoly.com/games/risk-star-trek-50th-anniversary-ed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I ordered it today. I'll find out this weekend, I suppose. The Game of Thrones Risk wasn't bad, though the component quality was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirk Agathon wrote:
Well I ordered it today. I'll find out this weekend, I suppose. The Game of Thrones Risk wasn't bad, though the component quality was.

This one came out of left field for me. I had no idea it was happening and had been following the other 3 new Star Trek games due out this year (Star Trek Panic, Star Trek: Frontiers, Star Trek: Ascendancy).

People have said good things about Star Wars Risk, so I have some high hopes this is a good game in it's own right, not closely related to Risk as we know it. Or maybe my wallet hopes that isn't the case.

Edit: I look forward to your thoughts. Thanks for TOFTT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sanderlin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It comes with 50 tribbles, so it can't be that bad, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordpenquin wrote:

LOL I missed that. I wonder what they are used for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
lordpenquin wrote:

LOL I missed that. I wonder what they are used for?

I haven't played yet but have examined the components and read the rules.

It is very similar to the Game of Thrones Risk. Each faction has a Captain with a special power. Each faction can pick 4 out of 6 crew, each having their own special power (these powers are unfortunately repeated a lot over all the characters. For example, Riker, Spock, and other first officers all have the same power).

The game mostly plays like Risk. There is a "Q-vent" phase before each turn, in which you draw a card and do what "Q" says (this is where the Tribbles come in). Note: the Tribbles are fuzzy pieces that are pretty cool.

Then you get more ships and credits based on how many planets and areas you control. Note: the map is a pretty good recreation of Canon maps of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. For example, if you conquer and control the Romulan Empire, you get a certain amount of extra ships and credits. The credits are used to activate the special powers of your crew. You can turn in cards to get more ships, like in Risk.

In the basic game, you are trying to conquer 25 territories. In the advanced game, you are trying to complete three quests from Q, such as "take five territories in one turn".

Components are adequate. The Tribbles are neat. The art on the factions boards is pretty good (it's art instead of stills, which most people seem to prefer).

Edit: Forgot something. There are tokens that have klingons, borg, etc. on them that are put in territories at the start of the game. You attack these at first, to conquer areas, before getting to real opponents. There doesn't seem to be any difference among the races, they are just speed bumps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the intial lowdown. Not so sure based on the description but interested to learn more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Bunker
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so assuming you got a copy to play this weekend.... how is the game? I'm intrigued but based on the scant details assume it is basically Risk with starship plastic bits... <keeps fingers crossed>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aerosailor wrote:
Ok, so assuming you got a copy to play this weekend.... how is the game? I'm intrigued but based on the scant details assume it is basically Risk with starship plastic bits... <keeps fingers crossed>

Didn't get it played. Hard to find Trekkers that will also play Risk! I've looked through the event cards and they are thematic but not very deep. The Tribble are neat because when they come out, they spread each turn and everyone could lose if they spread too much.

I think I'd prefer if there were different races as opposed to to five federation factions. I think along with crew cards and event cards, and quests, it would be a decent light wargame. With five federation factions, it just seems weird, even with the "Q" explanation.

My gut is telling me this is Star Trek Risk much like Star Trek Catan is what it is, mostly the same thing with some thematic additions. It doesn't really compare to changes made in Risk Legacy or Star Wars Risk.

I'd say most people should wait for Star Trek Ascendancy unless they really like Risk or buy most every game that says Trek on it (me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bradley
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Could someone with the rulesbook post a more detailed discription of what's different in this version please? Or maybe post a downloadable pdf copy of the rulesbook so I can just read it for myself? I'm interested in buying this, but I have to wait for now, bills to pay and whatnot. Getting to read the rulesbook with influence my decision. Thanks to anyone who can help me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyinsar -
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirk Agathon wrote:
... I think I'd prefer if there were different races as opposed to to five federation factions. ...

I think most Trek fans would agree. Sadly companies hoping to cash in on Star Trek seldom get how much pitting different Federation factions against each other is against the spirit of what made it popular to start with (yes there are exceptions that could be used as justification but they are exceptions).

It seems that some "Risk" games vary quite a bit from the original. I can't stand the original but quite enjoyed 2210 and Godstorm (though the latter seemed a little too random to me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilara Milar
msg tools
Personally, I love this game--and that is saying something significant because I've always HATED normal Risk.

I personally really enjoy the concept of Q forcing the captains into some alternate dimension/holideck where they must duke it out to see who is the best. I could see it being the plot to an episode or movie even, if it was done correctly.

So, what is different in this game versus normal Risk?

Captains: Each captain has a special ability they can use as well as a crew to command.

Crew: Each captain can choose 4 crew members out of their 6 to bring along on the mission. Each crew member--depending on their office--gives a different ability you can use by spending Command Points.

Command Points: These points are earned based on the number of planets and star bases you control. They are used to command crew members.

Q-Quests: There are a number of quests in the game for player's to complete. Kill a certain number of aliens in a turn, destroy a certain number of enemy ships in a turn, control a specific area or number of areas, etc. To win the game players must complete 3 of Q's quests. (4 in a 2 player game)

Q-Vents: This is my favorite addition to the game. Each turn a Q-Vent is drawn. It has flavor text and an event that influences either the current player or the entire board. These are all very cool events that can really turn the tides of the game and add to the Star Trek theme. One of the events brings out Tribbles. The Tribbles multiply like crazy and can take over the board, causing all players to lose, if the players don't work together to wipe out the little furry aliens.

All in all, this is my new favorite game . I've hated Risk for a long time, so the fact that a Risk game is my current favorite is a BIG deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is pretty much RISK: Plants vs Zombies entirely rethemed. That's not a bad thing, but there are much better Star Trek games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Bloomfield
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I played Risk only once twenty years ago, and only recently bought this Star Trek version. I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me:

How does one invade a territory with Alien Lifeforms in it? Do you just move two or three ships into the alien territory & remove the aliens? Can you just do one at a time? Is rolling the dice involved?

I read my game guide thoroughly, and it seems to only explain how to invade other players' territories. Please help, and thank you. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K E
msg tools
I have the same burning question...I submitted it to USAoploy's customer service. If I get a good response, I will try to post it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Bloomfield
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Van etten
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Did you ever get an answer on the alien lifeforms? We played last night and just had another player roll for the aliens, treating each token as one defending or attacking unit.
But also there is some term usage in the cards and rules pertaining to conquering that we can't find clarification on - like to meet the definition of conquer must you attack, or can occupying an empty space count? Anyone know this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Bloomfield
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I considered playing that way, but once my family & I sat down to play, we decided, for simplicity, to just play without the aliens.

In response to your question about conquering: I inferred from the rules that a "conquer" required an attack & conquer, either of alien or enemy territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Van etten
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
For simplicity and time sakes yeah, nixing the aliens is fine. But be careful because too many unoccupied spaces overpowers picard's special.
I see on pg 18 of the rules, under the tribble section, that "tribbles can be attacked like any other alien lifeform" suggesting they are another 'alien lifeform'. Later it reads "the tribble will attack, rolling one die..." this tells me SOMEONE has to roll a die or dice for tribbles, and by association, all other alien lifeforms.
Not sure why they didn't spell it out. I'd like to hear if they had a particular player in mind to roll for the lifeforms, or some other way of resolving combat with aliens.
Thanks and I agree with your take on 'conquer'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Van etten
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Also several quests and q-vents require the aliens in play, often engaging in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Bloomfield
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
We only played "Mission 1", so I haven't gotten to see how the advanced game plays out. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.