Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Davies
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

We recently started playing Biblios and have really enjoyed it, particularly the auctioning phase of the game. Does anyone have a recommendation for a slightly more complex game that uses similar systems?

Would also enjoy a few recommendations of games similar to Codenames, which we have also recently come to love.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a card game but Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a medium weight game with a similar mechanic. Very good game and it plays great with two. The start player prices the pieces available for purchase and if others buy those pieces, the start player gets the money. A lot of strategy not only with this mechanic, but how you build your castle and what bonuses are available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios is a fun game. I'll throw a suggestion out here for one I haven't played but that sounds interesting to me and that is Isle of Skye. It's a tile placement with auctioning. May be worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PAX

Look at three cards, one at a time.
Decide which card to
a) add to a Roman camp
b) place under the draw deck
and
c) place in your hand.

Then, if you wish, buy one of the Roman camps.
Then, add a card to your tableau. Cards are several colors, they give you powers or points based on how many are in the stack of that color. Pay to play additional cards that round.

Collect income based on how many cards were in the largest stack you played into that turn.

After all the players follow suit, Rome gets the most expensive unpurchased camp.

At game end, players must collectively be stronger than Rome in a certain number of card colors, then they count points to see who wins.

There is a card color, supremacy in which color allows a player to win if Rome wins, but playing that color at all prevents you from collecting income that round. Having the most of that color also allows you go first in the next round.

I like it as an more thematic alternative to Biblios.
It also has a fairly enjoyable solo game. While not expensive, it's out of print and can be hard to find in shops.

You can play it online at http://www.boiteajeux.net/ if you want to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated above PAX is the closest thing I have seen to Biblios. It keeps the drafting mechanism but loses the auction. I owned both PAX and Biblios but sold of PAX as it was nowhere near as good as Biblios. There are plenty of auction games out there, but I really think you will find Biblios to be unique. Yes, Isle of Skye is a good game (similar to but far better than Castles of Mad King Ludwig), but it really has nothing much in common with Biblios. You might try Biblios Dice as it is the dice version of the same game. It's not a step up, though. More like a parallel step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.