Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Men-Only Barber Shop That Refused Him Service

A state court lawsuit was filed last week in California against a men-only barber shop and two of its barbers who, for religious reasons, refused to cut the hair of a transgender man. The complaint (full text) in Oliver v. The Barbershop, R.C., Inc., (CA Super., filed 5/24/2016), relates the following reasons given to reporters by the barber shop's owner for the policy:

"It's a shame for a man to have long hair, but if a woman has long hair, it's her glory and it speaks to being given to her as her covering, and I don't want to be the one who is taking away from her glory." Hernandez also told reporters that when "people go against what God has created, you start getting everything out of whack."

The suit seeks injunctive relief under California's Unruh Civil Rights Act. A Lambda Legal press release reports on the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next will it be candlestick makers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, it will probably be those people who stand in the bathroom of a ritzy hotel or club to give you a hand towel or a hit of cologne when you're done washing your hands. Inevitably, one of them will not want to serve a gay or transgender individual !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
Men-Only Barber Shop That Refused Him Service

A state court lawsuit was filed last week in California against a men-only barber shop and two of its barbers who, for religious reasons, refused to cut the hair of a transgender man. The complaint (full text) in Oliver v. The Barbershop, R.C., Inc., (CA Super., filed 5/24/2016), relates the following reasons given to reporters by the barber shop's owner for the policy:

"It's a shame for a man to have long hair, but if a woman has long hair, it's her glory and it speaks to being given to her as her covering, and I don't want to be the one who is taking away from her glory." Hernandez also told reporters that when "people go against what God has created, you start getting everything out of whack."

The suit seeks injunctive relief under California's Unruh Civil Rights Act. A Lambda Legal press release reports on the case.

The barber shop is correct of course.

I wonder if this kind of nonsense is going to lead to DNA testing before service?

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
In situations like this why don't they cut the hair, don't say shit and just do a shit poor job of it. They will never come back and problem solved. Christ that's how I got out of doing laundry all through my marriage, by fucking it up.

But how do you screw up a buzzcut? Seriously, you have to really suck at your job to screw up a buzzcut!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
In situations like this why don't they cut the hair, don't say shit and just do a shit poor job of it. They will never come back and problem solved. Christ that's how I got out of doing laundry all through my marriage, by fucking it up.

But how do you screw up a buzzcut? Seriously, you have to really suck at your job to screw up a buzzcut!

Just say the words "OOPS" really loudly and deny when they ask what's wrong. and look around in a panic.

You don't have to fuck it up, just make the customer think you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:

My wife's friend (implicitly criticizing my wife's chic short hair style) once referred to women's hair as "their crowning glory". I didn't realize that was a religious statement!

Guess that barber won't be shaving pubes, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Iniguez
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

Just say the words "OOPS" really loudly and deny when they ask what's wrong. and look around in a panic.

Agree.

How did I manage to screw up the laundry? Shove everything in the washer at the same time, overload the fuck out of it, turn it on hot water. Then turn the drier up to high heat and run that sumbitch for the most time that dial goes. Whoops my bad! Sure I get yelled out but deny everything and play dumb. No more laundry!

If you are serious, you sound like a horrible partner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno. How about just being a professional and doing a decent job of whatever it is that you do, even explicitly when you don't like the customer -- because that's what you do in life?

Or is that too complicated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
Dunno. How about just being a professional and doing a decent job of whatever it is that you do, even explicitly when you don't like the customer -- because that's what you do in life?

They believe in an invisible sky being. Rational went out the window awhile ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

Agree.

How did I manage to screw up the laundry? Shove everything in the washer at the same time, overload the fuck out of it, turn it on hot water. Then turn the drier up to high heat and run that sumbitch for the most time that dial goes. Whoops my bad! Sure I get yelled out but deny everything and play dumb. No more laundry!

If my partner did that I would just do my own laundry and let them fend for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

Agree.

Is it too soon or in bad taste to make a FTFY to "Voila, no more marriage!"? I think a year is safe but you never know w/ the interwebs.

This of course relates to the classic comic:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
bbenston wrote:

They believe in an invisible sky being. Rational went out the window awhile ago.

Then I guess the answer is "yes", so I welcome our new era of carve-outs in the law for every last grievance. Oh yes, because it's a bright new world where car repairs are defined as copyrightable art, so as to avoid doing basic services for whoever uppity person just wanted to give you money that day.

HAIL ERIS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
All Hail Discordia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

Do it like I used to mow the grass (it wasn't deliberate, it's just that I couldn't see properly): leave ridges!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to ask, does cutting someones hair mean you support their lifestyle choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:

You trot out this tired strawman far too often. Who exactly are you trying to convince?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
In situations like this why don't they cut the hair...

They don't do it because it would be dishonest and not the truth of the situation.

And Christ means 'Anointed One'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:

Oh, I can do a good job AND get rid of customers I don't like.

Problem is I hate most customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
In situations like this why don't they cut the hair...

They don't do it because it would be dishonest and not the truth of the situation.

And Christ means 'Anointed One'.

Yeah, like in the Bible, where Jesus told the whores and tax collectors to go fuck themselves and cut their own hair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
It's really getting annoying that people worry so much about other people's genitals. Jesus didn't say a thing about transgendered individuals or gays, but that (and abortion) is all what the American Christians can talk about. It's sex, people. Happens all the time. Get over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
It's really getting annoying that people worry so much about other people's genitals. Jesus didn't say a thing about transgendered individuals or gays, but that (and abortion) is all what the American Christians can talk about. It's sex, people. Happens all the time. Get over it.
Bloody liar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
slatersteven wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Bloody liar.

It happened over the weekend at my house.

Wish I had been there cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

Do it like I used to mow the grass (it wasn't deliberate, it's just that I couldn't see properly): leave ridges!

My neighbor leaves ridges in his lawn, and it looks like crap! I even let him use my brand-new awesome mower last week, and he still screwed it up (although maybe it was his kid that did it). Anyway, that's a great way to never have to do the lawn again.

On the other hand, my other neighbor has their mower deck set two setting below mine, and then constantly wanders into my yard because the "ability to move in a straight line" is not really part of her every day behavior - at least not when she is mowing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Bible
Quote:
5 “A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.

nope, that's Old Testament. It doesn't count as that was God v1, God v2 got rid of all those rules.

What did Jesus say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.