Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't think I needed to make a thread on this, but it seems like two of the biggest "beginner's advice" posts have the OP deleted...

Well, I've just got out of my 3rd lost game of Netrunner, all vs. different new players. I was corp all 3 times, and the first two games were Jinteki vs. Shaper, and the last was Weyland vs. Shaper. The first couple games were close, but I just wasn't able to get enough points or get enough damage to flatline my opponent. In the third game, my dad started off with a huge economic lead, drew into the perfect icebreaker for my biggest ice on turn 2 or 3, and also got two 3-point agendas off of R&D, which I never had time to protect.

So, after losing 3 times I'm starting to think that I might be the problem What is some good advice for a starting Corp player? or a starting Runner player for that matter?

Netrunner is really cool, but I can only lose so many times and keep my ego in tact.

Edit: Or if anyone knows of a good beginner's guide already on here, that would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
goosarino strangeprawn
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
I wear overtext now.
badge
Overtext is cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Without trying to sound too Zen about it, the best thing to do to play well as the corp is to be the runner a few times.

It does sound a bit like bad luck was a factor in your Weyland loss, it's a card game, it happens... but really, run a bit. You'll soon realise the tools the corp has to make their opponent slow down and feel uneasy.

Another thing would be to check you're playing right. For example discarding broken ICE is a common misunderstanding that cripples the corp.

If you're still not having much success, maybe have a look at some of the videos of matches here or on youtube, especially ones with commentary, they're quite good for picking up general play tips by osmosis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
goosarino wrote:
Without trying to sound too Zen about it, the best thing to do to play well as the corp is to be the runner a few times.

This^^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
goosarino wrote:

This^^^

Double this!

Was just going to say, try playing the runner a few times. Understanding the runner and what they can do will definitely help you better protect your stuff.

Another tip as runner, be a little aggressive. The biggest problem I've seen with new runners is that they're at times too afraid to run they don't know what that ice is so it better to be fully prepared right? Well, not always. Face check that ice to find out what it is, then you can install the correct breaker. If you're doing this though, it's best to do it with at least three cards (maybe four) in hand and on your 1st or 2nd click. If you get messed up on your last click you're really vulnerable during the corp's turn.

Now, this relates to both Runner and Corp. By making the corp Rez ice, they are using all their money. As the runner, if you make the corp use a lot of money to Rez an ice on a remote server, they most likely won't have the money to Rez the ice protecting their RnD. As the Corp, it's good to remember that maybe you shouldn't always Rez ice. Do you have just enough money to Rez that essential ice protecting your installed agenda? Maybe you shouldn't Rez the ice protecting HQ then (account siphons always suck though...).

Keep at it man! This is such a fun game! If it makes you feel any better, I lost all my corp games last night too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goosarino wrote:

It does sound a bit like bad luck was a factor in your Weyland loss, it's a card game, it happens... but really, run a bit. You'll soon realise the tools the corp has to make their opponent slow down and feel uneasy.

Another thing would be to check you're playing right. For example discarding broken ICE is a common misunderstanding that cripples the corp.

If you're still not having much success, maybe have a look at some of the videos of matches here or on youtube, especially ones with commentary, they're quite good for picking up general play tips by osmosis.

1. Probably a good idea. Since I've taught each time, I thought it would be good to be the corp since I'm assuming that can be a bit more nuanced than running at the start.

2. Yeah, I'm going to keep telling myself that . To be fair, I should have at least put SOMETHING in front of R&D so that he couldn't take 0 cost 0 risk pot shots. That was my lesson from the game.

3. Usually I'm pretty good on rules. I haven't been discarding broken ICE or anything like that.

4. I'll have to give that a shot if I can't figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
A wise man once said: "Before you can know a man, try living in his server room for a day."

This applies just as well to Netrunner. It's a game where you really have to know both sides to play either side well. It helps to be a good liar/poker player too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
Weyland vs. Shaper...

...R&D, which I never had time to protect.

So one of the key things about playing this game well is knowing your matchup. Netrunner's faction system was designed in a way such that each faction had a specific "thing" or game plan they can execute better than the other factions.

This may seem obvious now (like saying "be careful!" after you already tripped over something) but against Shaper you will generally want to prioritize protection of R&D. The reason for this is because the Shaper faction is geared towards attacking R&D effectively [1]. Similarly, against Criminal you will want to protect HQ (Account Siphon), and against Anarch you will want to protect Archives (Noise).

By the way, Hadrian's wall is a nice way to stop or slow down the runner. Even against a Shaper with Battering Ram installed, it still costs the runner 6cr every time they want to break the subroutines. Just keep in mind that because Battering Ram has the ability of keeping its boosted strength for the remainder of the run, it is probably a bad idea to install multiple barriers in the same server [2]. The major downside to Hadrian's wall is the cost to rez. On top of that, once you rez the ICE you're now 10cr poorer and may not be able to rez ice elsewhere. This is a common deflection tactic used by runners - run somewhere to bait the Corp into rezzing ICE then run a different server (the one they more likely wanted to get into in the first place) knowing that the Corp is out of money.

1 - The card "The Maker's Eye" is the hint of this in the Core set. Other cards released in data packs and the "Creation and Control" deluxe expansion provide Shapers with more tools to pressure R&D.

2 - Hadrian's in front of an Ice Wall is okay as they pay the same amount regardless, but don't put two Hadrian's walls in a row as the second one only costs 2cr to break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's a question. On my Dad's first run in Weyland vs. Shaper, he ran on my server with an almost completed agenda with a Battering Ram. I of course had Hadrian's wall. He had about 7 credits, I had 10, and he had some Armitage stuff lined up for him as well. I decided not to rez Hadrian's wall because it would put us both down a ton on money, but he had a way to make easy money whereas I did not. I could not have stopped him from getting the agenda, so I decided I'd rather keep my economy somewhat healthy than drain us both when he was in a better position to recover. Was that a good move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
The Runner will eventually get in. You cannot keep them out of your servers forever so force them to run on your terms before they do it on theirs!

Dangerous cards like SanSan or Melange Mining Corp will force a run. Bluffs like Aggressive Secretary or the latter Reversed Accounts and GRNDL Refinery are win/win.

You can also simply plop down an agenda. Force them to get in, if don't get it, great! And if they do, plop down a better one and score it while they are broke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
So here's a question. On my Dad's first run in Weyland vs. Shaper, he ran on my server with an almost completed agenda with a Battering Ram. I of course had Hadrian's wall. He had about 7 credits, I had 10, and he had some Armitage stuff lined up for him as well. I decided not to rez Hadrian's wall because it would put us both down a ton on money, but he had a way to make easy money whereas I did not. I could not have stopped him from getting the agenda, so I decided I'd rather keep my economy somewhat healthy than drain us both when he was in a better position to recover. Was that a good move?

Depends on board state. If rezzing Hadrian's makes you flat-ass broke and you don't have Beanstalk Royalties in hand, sure. If you're going for the kill via Sea Source/Scorched, you probably don't want to put an ICE that's that expensive to rez in front of your agendas.

I typically like to use Enigma. Cheap to Rez, good effect for the money and it's a hard gearcheck for the runner. Doubly good if they hit it click 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting problem, certainly. However, even with all that you've given as the example it isn't quite enough to give you a straight forward answer or advice. Because it's was your dad's first run I can deduce that he's currently at 0 points. You were probably correct to let him steal it, knowing that you wouldn't have stopped him anyway.

I find it's often useful to examine how the board state was reached and maybe pinpoint a better decision that could be made earlier to prevent this from happening in the future.

How many credits did he have before you installed your Agenda?
- There is a concept in Netrunner called a "scoring window" for the Corp. It's the idea that the runner is low on resources and needs a turn or two to build up, either spending a turn to gain credits, cards, or to find and install the correct cards to combat the Corp's cards. At a moment like this, the Corp can attempt [1] to install and score an Agenda over the next turn or two with the idea that the runner will be incapable of challenging the server.

Which Agenda was it?
- Given that the Corp has 3 clicks on their turn, assuming you have three credits and barring any special card abilities, you can advance a card with all three on one turn and still score it after the last click [2]. With that in mind, you only need to advance an agenda to [advancement requirement] - 3 on a previous turn in order to threaten to score it. So, for "Private Security Force" you would only need to advance it once, then on a subsequent turn you can finish advancing the last three and score. It is rarely a good idea to advance an Agenda further than this as the runner may steal it and cause you to waste your credits [3]. The best scenario are three to advance Agendas as those can be installed and not advanced, still threatening to score out next turn (but the runner doesn't even know!).

Were you forced into installing the Agenda?

- For example, if you feared he would easily steal it from HQ because you had insufficient ICE to defend, you were at a low card count in HQ (1 or 2 cards), or you had many Agendas in hand (3 or 4) then you may have felt compelled to install the Agenda without a scoring window. If you were not in such a situation, perhaps then it would have been wise to continue building your board by installing more ICE, assets, or drawing more cards to find better plays. The chance that the runner can run HQ and pick out a single agenda in a full hand (1/5) is otherwise fairly small and is worth risking [4].

- Here's a trick that you could have maybe used. Instead of installing the Agenda, if you had a PAD Campaign in hand then install it instead behind your Hadrian's Wall. If he then installs his battering ram and runs then great! He's spent 5cr to install the program and will have to spend 4 more just to trash the PAD. Now you maybe have a scoring window, so install the agenda! Or, install another asset and watch him sweat.

Was his battering ram installed on that same turn, or did you know he had it before hand?
- Seems obvious, but I'll include for completion's sake. If he had already installed Battering Ram, then it was probably a mistake to put an Agenda where he can get it [5].

- If he installed it same turn then it comes back to being able to evaluate, based on what you know he has, whether you think he can install Battering Ram and have enough money left over to steal the Agenda or not.

---
1 - It's attempt because there is always the possibility that the runner has an unexpected way to bounce back quickly or has a "secret tech" card in hand (i.e. Stimhack).

2 - There is an activated ability window after each click, and on the Corp's turn you can score in each of those windows.

3 - Actually, Weyland's Agenda "Posted Bounty" is a good candidate to do this. If you have "Scorched Earth" in hand you can score a previously advanced Posted Bounty to give the runner a tag, then nuke him in the face.

4 - Offer not valid on criminals using "Legwork".

5 - Except that you could have been bluffing! Jinteki as a faction like making these sorts of plays all the time. Is that double-advanced card an Agenda? Or, is it Project Junebug? >
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.