Subject: Solo players, solo rules or two handed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought the game and very excited. Reading the pdf rules until the postman arrives.
I will be playing mostly solo.

So, reading the rulebook, the solo rules seem to look like they restrict the decks somewhat. Is this true?

So do solo players find the solo rules work perfectly well, or do you find playing 2 handed as two players works better for you with the more cards in play?

Appreciate any thoughts and experiences from a solo perspective.

Thanks very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG community and congratulations on your purchase! Before you begin, you might consider looking at the Advanced Solo Rules from the Dark City expansion. You don't have to have anything from that expansion, just use these rules and you will be fine. The solo rules from the base game are not that great, most of the players here use these ones. Here is a useful reference sheet:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104121/legendary-advanced...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check these out too:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92730/advanced-solo-rules...

http://www.legendaryleagues.com/#/about/clarifications (first heading - advanced solo rules)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo rules work well. I do not really have a problem with them. I think playing with 2 hands becomes too fiddly. But I do use a variant that someone created that works really well. Here is the link. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1200976/golden-solo-ruleset...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Dragon
msg tools
Two hands, you get more of the game that way."Fiddliness" in solitaire is a non-issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the advanced solo rules are fun I prefer to play two hands - one hand with Shield agents and the other with Hydra agents. Playing two hands allows cards that affect the "other player" to work properly, in the solo one hand variant they sometimes don't do anything or don't work properly.

The downside to playing two hands is it takes longer to set up, play and put away. Playing a single hand is more streamlined. Also playing a single hand makes you feel a little more invested in that hand, more like you are just that player and not managing two players, which is also a slight benefit.

On the whole though I'm willing to trade off the increased set up time and very slight difference in feel for the better card play with two hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alittletoddler wrote:
The solo rules work well. I do not really have a problem with them. I think playing with 2 hands becomes too fiddly. But I do use a variant that someone created that works really well. Here is the link. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1200976/golden-solo-ruleset...

Yep, Golden Solo for me. 90% of my solo games are using this ruleset, the other 10% are done using Advanced Solo as part of the Legendary Online league.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at the advanced rules and have a think.
Thanks

Edit: just checked advanced solo from dark city, doesn't see much different and still looks to use much smaller card set.
Will check out gold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Alex!

Once you've taken a look at the Advanced Solo rules, you're welcome to join the Summer Fun League that just started last week. You only need the base set, and have 8 weeks to play 4 solo matches. If you decide to get more expansions, you can try different lineups to see how your score changes, and keep playing through the summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knutson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Golden Solo rule set hands down (as mentioned above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BobSpoons wrote:
Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at the advanced rules and have a think.
Thanks

Edit: just checked advanced solo from dark city, doesn't see much different and still looks to use much smaller card set.
Will check out gold
If you decide to get in on any of the Leagues that are run here on BGG (and I can't recommend these Leagues enough! They're great!), you'll need to be familiar and comfortable with the Advanced solo rules.

I can see the appeal of Golden Solo, but it just doesn't do it for me. When I'm just playing a game by myself I tend to play with two hands and I have no trouble at all. Zero fiddliness at all. I actually know there's someone on here who plays with three hands at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play one hand and always with Advanced solo rules from Dark City.

Occasionally I'll play two or three handed, especially when I get a new expansion to explore the new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play advanced solo rules one handed. I have not tried the golden solo variant but I am happy with advanced solo and that is the standard rules for tournament play on bgg. I have tried it two handed but much prefer single handed. There are some cards and heroes that are diminished by playing single handed but it is a tradeoff I am personally willing to make. I do play its younger sibling Legendary Encounters two handed because I think the gameplay is effected too much, but I wish I didnt feel that way. I would definitely start out using the advanced rules one handed and later try two handed or the golden variant if you wish. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand where you're coming from, I was attracted to the golden solo rules initially too, as they allowed for more cards in play, and I played with them exclusively for months.

Then I switched to the advanced solo rules because I wanted to join in with league play on here and I've never looked back. If you search for it, I wrote a review somewhere on here comparing the two rule-sets. In brief, I find the advanced solo makes for a much quicker experience, which is easier to fit into my busy life (and that's not just set-up time, start to finish took me almost twice as long with golden solo).

As for the issue of not using as many cards in a game, I feel like you get to know the cards in the decks you do have in play much better and see more of how they work together in advanced solo.

Of course the big advantage of advanced solo is the leagues on here. They're a lot of fun for me as a primarily solo player. It's a great little community with plenty going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rossoft rossoft
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play golden solo with some modifications. Instead of having a way to not play the second villain card by koing bystanders, I just add more bystanders to the villain deck to simulate "one card only turns"

I think the best perk of golden solo is that you can play mastermind always leads villains + another villain group. That helps to have the mastermind in all its glory plus having some diversification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the vast majority of solo players and all of the solo leagues use the Advanced Solo Mode rules, and that's what I recommend.

Welcome to the Legendary BGG forums community, Alex!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I think I'll start out with the advanced solo rules from dark city.
I'm guessing I don't need to include any other dark city new rules, just play as core with the advanced solo tweak.

I'll have a peek at the leagues too thanks everyone for very helpful and comprehensive replies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and with advanced solo, the master strike bit... do you do the master strike as per the masterminds ability AND then add the villain card from the advanced solo instructions (it does say when could "complete" a master strike)... or.... do you add the villain card INSTEAD of the actual master strike ability? ( which would be a shame to lose the master strike mechanic)
Thanks
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
BobSpoons wrote:
Oh, and with advanced solo, the master strike bit... do you do the master strike as per the masterminds ability AND then add the villain card from the advanced solo instructions (it does say when could "complete" a master strike)... or.... do you add the villain card INSTEAD of the actual master strike ability? ( which would be a shame to lose the master strike mechanic)
You perform the Master Strike as detailed on the Mastermind card and then you play another Villain card from the Villain deck.

These are two independent steps, you complete the first (Master Strike) and then effectively the Villains "have an extra turn" and another card is turned over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
BobSpoons wrote:
You perform the Master Strike as detailed on the Mastermind card and then you play another Villain card from the Villain deck.

These are two independent steps, you complete the first (Master Strike) and then effectively the Villains "have an extra turn" and another card is turned over.

Awesome thank you (wow increased difficulty huh)

Postman coming today....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Weidlich
msg tools
mbmb
BobSpoons wrote:
Thanks everyone. I think I'll start out with the advanced solo rules from dark city.
I'm guessing I don't need to include any other dark city new rules, just play as core with the advanced solo tweak.

I'll have a peek at the leagues too thanks everyone for very helpful and comprehensive replies

I recommend the Summer Fun League, as it only requires the base set.
http://www.legendaryleagues.com/#/leagues/201

Advanced Solo from Dark City is way superior that the original solo play. I've tried Golden Solo and never really liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two-handed for me. That way, I won't have to adjust setup or rules to when we actually play 2-player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a tangent this got me thinking that it might be fun to figure out a way to play a solo variant where you are the Mastermind using the Ambition deck from the Secret Wars expansions versus two AI controlled heroes. Another possibility is to play solo with two hands but give the Mastermind the ambition deck and have them play their ambition cards pseudo randomly (eg pick the highest cost card possible each turn, equal costs pick randomly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rossoft rossoft
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
Another possibility is to play solo with two hands but give the Mastermind the ambition deck and have them play their ambition cards pseudo randomly (eg pick the highest cost card possible each turn, equal costs pick randomly.)

What I really do is to add 5 random ambition cards to the villain deck, and play them as kind of Masterstrikes, just applying their effect and discarding them. "Other player" is just you, and whenever some effects allows you to choose something, like KOing some class, I try to randomize it by revealing a card from hero deck etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rossoft wrote:
dugman wrote:
Another possibility is to play solo with two hands but give the Mastermind the ambition deck and have them play their ambition cards pseudo randomly (eg pick the highest cost card possible each turn, equal costs pick randomly.)

What I really do is to add 5 random ambition cards to the villain deck, and play them as kind of Masterstrikes, just applying their effect and discarding them. "Other player" is just you, and whenever some effects allows you to choose something, like KOing some class, I try to randomize it by revealing a card from hero deck etc.

Interesting, do you also include the five Master Strike cards too or do you replace them entirely with the Ambition cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |