Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter B
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to some out of control BGAS (Board Game Acquisition Syndrome) I've found myself with a large number of games in my collection that I'm still to play. It's gotten to the point that I'm not too sure where to begin.

1960: The Making of the President
Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer
Brass: Lancashire
Bruxelles 1893
Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943
Desperados of Dice Town
51st State
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
Ice Flow
Manoeuvre
Mottainai
Ninjato
Pax Porfiriana
Quartermaster General
Saint Petersburg
Seasons
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

Please help me out. Which of these do you think I should play next and why? Oh, and how do I cure my BGAS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my suggestion: play all of them in order of their weight, starting with the lightest and working your way up. Think of it as a challenge that gets more difficult as you go. How to cure your BGAS? Don't let yourself buy another game until you've played every game on this list at least once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to fall in love with a game. That's the best cure against jumping from box to box.

So you have to ask to yourself: where is my heart among those titles?

I see you have a couple of excellent tactical WW2 wargames (BoB, CoH), I'm a wargamer, to me this branch of the hobby is "more than just playing".

You could start learning actual history, reading books on the topic, watching documentaries, then going "back to the table" recreating those scenarios. For example, Kursk happened in July (nearly one month from now - 73 years ago; worth a commemoration).

Same for Hannibal, Pax Porfiriana, 1960, and to an extent, Quartermaster General (even if it's more "abstract" than the others - but still excellent). Also Manoeuvre, great as an introductory wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass: Lancashire you'll have no regrets...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
β€œThe elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Porfiriana
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Brass and Pax are in line.

Best of all is the recommendation not to buy any more games until I've played all of the ones I have. I think I'll give this a go, although I won't bet the house on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion to cure BGAS AND shrink your list of unplayed games is to spend more time playing games you own so you have less time to buy more! whistle (I need to take my own advice...)

I keep a list of games I own that haven't been played ENOUGH. Each new game is added to the list and not removed until we play it as much as it deserves. It's too easy to play a new game once or twice and move on to the next new game. I started this list when I realized that we can't play all of my games in a year of weekly game nights.

The list works well: When we're deciding what to play, it reminds us of games we really want to play more that we might otherwise forget!

You could try to set higher and higher standards for buying new games, but those pesky game companies keep coming out with more really good games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.