Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the flocks, and I like the hills & the new city tiles.

But the vineyards, while I like the idea and theme, seem overpowered to me.

When base Carcassonne came out, IIRC it was general consensus that Monasteries were overpowered, which added too much luck to the game - if you drew more Monasteries, you won.

Then, Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals came out, which balanced the game more by making roads more valuable.

But now, with +3 points PER vineyard tile? (upon completion of monastery).

Seems like it makes Monasteries overpowered again. Or, given that I don't see anything in the forums about this, do others disagree?

I was thinking about making vineyards cause incomplete Monasteries to score 0 (rather than just ignoring the vineyards and scoring the regular Monastery points).

Or, maybe just not playing with vineyard functionality at all, I do think the rest of the expansion adds some interesting elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disagree, I just don't see it at all. There isn't enough vineyards in the set to cause the concern. Even with a bad luck event of one player drawing the majority of those tiles it won't mean that he will always be able to take advantage of them.

The max you can score with the vineyards (8 tiles I believe) could make a difference in a game but still isn't as powerful as one large city (or perhaps the extra points from the vineyards could actually help balance the game out).

I've played dozens of games with this set have rarely seen 2 vineyards added.

Just like monasteries, these are not over powered, in my experience.

I agree that overall the whole set is a fun addition to the Carcassonne mix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last play of Carc, vineyards allowed my opponent to score 21 points with a single follower. I didn't score any vineyards, but I still won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
Wales
Newport
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

I was thinking about making vineyards cause incomplete Monasteries to score 0 (rather than just ignoring the vineyards and scoring the regular Monastery points).

This is how we played this the first time, due to a misreading of the rules which state that the Vineyard is worth nothing in this situation (I thought it said that the Cloister was worth nothing; in my defence I was using my secondary school German).

I actually think this is a better way to play them though. It makes the Vineyards somewhat analogous to Inns and Cathederals in that the later on you draw them, the bigger risk they pose; plus it allows you to use them aggressively if you place them alongside opponents' cloisters. You have to be very careful about adding them if you think you may not finish the cloister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.