Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] 2016 Solitarie Game Design Contest Entry - Crazy Robot Factory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my entry into the 2016 Solitaire PnP Game Design Contest!

Crazy Robot Factory

1. Opt-In "I would like volunteers to be assigned to my game if needed."
2. If you play test this game you will need to print the following sheets:
CONVEYOR BELT SHEET
LEVEL CARD SHEET
NEW HALF BOARD AND ROBOT ARM CARDS.
NEW HALF BOARD AND ASSEMBLY ROBOTS.
ROBOT PROGRAMMING CADS 1 AND 2
RULES

All sheets are one sided 8.5x11 unless you want to print the 11x17 full image game board.

3. The game can take from 30 to 60 minutes plus based on playing a beginner, advanced or expert level game.

You can find the contest thread here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1584590/2016-solitaire-prin...

I agree to opt-in for my game to be evaluated by a volunteer!

Number of Players: Solitaire - 1 player "can be a co-op 2 player also"
Game Time: 30 - 60 min
Player age: 12+

Synopsis:
Crazy Robot Factory is an abstract/puzzle solving/token placement solitaire/co-op game where you are the owner of a new robot parts factory and you've arrived to find out that the robots who setup the main factory floor must have had a glitch and placed the robot assemblers and conveyor belts randomly across the factory floor. What's worse is you have a huge order that is going to start processing and your factory isn't ready!
So to try and get everything working again you must quickly program your factory Robots to help move the equipment into their correct positions. You will have to do this while you use your Factory Assembly Arms to bring in new equipment onto the factory floor. Don't take too long rearranging the conveyor belt because once the START conveyor belts begins moving you must make sure the conveyor belts have a continuous path or the widgets will drop to the factory floor and end up destroyed.

Components:
[1] - Game Board
[4] - Robot Programming cards
[2] - Factory Robot Arm card
[4] - Programmable Floor Robots
[3] – START conveyor belt tiles
[2] - COMPLETE conveyor belt tiles
[20] - Assembly Robots
[XX] - Colored cubes
[75] Conveyor belt tiles

There are only [4] single sided PDF sheets to print out for my game!!!

Victory conditions:
You must try to manufacture the most robot parts without losing any of them in the process.

Losing the game:
If more than half of the robot parts hit the factory floor and become destroyed, you lose the game.

The categories I would like to be entered into:
Best Game by a Returning Designer (a designer that has previously entered the Solo contest)
Best Original Artwork (artwork created specifically for the game, either by the designer or another artist)
Best Graphic Design (focuses on layout, aesthetics, and functionality of components. This category allows both original work and existing public domain/creative commons artwork.)
Most Innovative Mechanic (games in this category should have an original mechanic or combination of mechanics)
Best Rule Book (includes rule clarity, layout, and organization)
Best Easy to Build Game (games that can be built by the average PNP builder in 15 minutes or less)
Volunteer Prize (Only those who participated in the volunteer program will be eligible to vote in this category.)
Thematic/Mechanic Categories
Best Worker Placement Category (Games that involve deciding where to place/spend workers or resources to accomplish goals)
Best Area Control (Games that involve maintaining control of certain areas to gain victory points or benefits.)
Best Puzzle/Abstract (Non-thematic games in which you are trying to to solve a puzzle, make connections, capture pieces, etc)

Here are some images of the game components

I will be posting rules and components soon!

Download files here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/owf8qlj2qite7gn/AAC2YCsIWM46QsimJ...

Video on how to setup and components:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mzjlfm88ko7vl3/Crazy%20Robot%20Fa...

Video on Game Play:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ka9wefg7itzi9x7/Crazy%20Robot%20Fa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have all the components that are ready for download and I have two videos on setup, components and game play!

The rules are available but are still growing and will probably change with more play testing and feedback!

Thanks for checking out my game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actual play test of the game!

Here is the initial setup of a game ready to play!

Here is the same game during mid-game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun! Welcome back to the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone... Bueller... Bueller... Darn it, if it's not zombies it's robots that people also hate!
If you like brain busters or thinking games, this is it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fun. Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cool idea! the conveyor belt idea sounds fun!
subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schroederjan wrote:
cool idea! the conveyor belt idea sounds fun!
subscribed!

Thanks,

I'm hoping to get some play testing so I can work out the kinks.

I really is a cool brain puzzle game IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started on the TTS mod and hope to try this game out. Possibly tonight. I should get you some feedback shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Work in progress:

Notes from my playtest:

1) The rules mention 2 d8's but the components section do not.

2) I am sure that you already know this, but the set up for the basic game does not have the proper cube amounts that you need. They mention 9 red cubes and 9 yellow cubes. The robots that I see need Yellow, Orange, and Green. (Nice video by the way. It helped a lot.)

3) I think that it needs to be said that two tiles cannot be placed in the same space during set up. (Or if it can, how do you resolve that?)

4) The section about "Straight Conveyor Belt Construction" left me more confused than not about how to connect the belt. The picture made it worse because I cannot tell why one conveyor belt is not ok, but the other one is.

5) The random set up for my game using the assembly robots actually made it impossible to win the game. I am going to have to make a house rule and eliminate the orientation of where the robots pick up and process the widgets.

6) I don't see anywhere in the rules where to place the starting robots. I made a house decision that I could place them where I wanted when I made see the factory floor set up.

7) I don't see anywhere in the rules that indicates when to place new widgets. I am going to assume that one starts in the start space and one is placed in the start space if it is empty when the widgets are supposed to move.

8) Can a widget move onto a conveyor belt that is currently picked up by a robot?

9) When a robot rotates a picked up widget, can it rotate it as far as it wants?

First Impressions:

Well, I know that this is an early design and you have plenty of time to make tweaks. The actual gameplay is leaving me feeling a little "meh" so far. There are probably a couple things that make me feel this way and I know that they are fixable. The assembly robot random set up feels awkward and forced and not fun. But if you actually created fixed placements for the assembly robots, this would be much better. You could control how the chaos is going to take place rather than making an impossible to win set up. (My robots could not grab or place widgets because of the rules about grabbing widgets and they were too close together.)

My other feeling was that the programmable section didn't really work as intended. Granted I was only placing the three turns ahead as opposed to the full 9 turns. But even if I was doing that with the full 9 turns, it still wouldn't feel like I was programming anything, because I would probably just do all of the movement manually and then just plug in the numbers on the flow chart if I was playing it the way it was intended. Programing games tend to work better if someone else is messing up your plans. Which is where this game could work much better. If there was a glitch in the programming structure and sometimes your orders were messed up by the glitch. I am not sure if that would work, but you have plenty of time to think about it.

Please don't take any of this with offense Joseph. I think there is potential in this game. It just doesn't work for me yet. And you have plenty of time to develop it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game inspirée by the videogame Factorio ? It seems fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
Is this game inspirée by the videogame Factorio ? It seems fun !

I think the idea started from the game Pipe Dream and then morphed.

EDIT: I just lookup up the video game you mentioned and its very cool! I'd never seen that game before and it does seem like my game in a fashion.

Totally crazy! Thanks for pointing that name out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chad,

I love, love, LOVE getting feedback and I have no problem with getting true, to-the-point, even harsh comments about my game because it's when people tell the truth that a game really get better! Thank you!

I agree that the game at this point is meh and its because I need feedback like yours to make it better.

I will answer all your comments soon and even showing how one or you comments created a huge "IMO" fix to the game that will speed the setup of the game a lot! So thank you for this!

Comments coming soon!

Just a quick answer to the setup fix based on your suggestion: due to your suggestion about the setup and how you created a none winnable game, I plan on making setup cards that not only fix your situation but show pre-setup positions of the factory robots and conveyor belts for each level of play. I will be making 6 to 8 setup cards for each level; basic, intermediate, and advanced play. This way, all you have to do is decide the game level you want to play, grab the setup cards for that level and shuffle them. draw a setup card and setup the game board! Bam, your ready to play without having to roll any dice, draw any tiles and place them randomly around the board hoping you don't cause an unwinnable game setup.

Simple setup card mockup.

This will speed things up and make it easier for me to create the higher levels of play setup cards. The game can get really difficult in the higher levels. I needed your comment to make me see what was missing and I think this can fix a number of issues.

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May I make the mod for TTS public?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but let me upload the new board image without the numbers. I've made some game setup changes.

radchad wrote:
May I make the mod for TTS public?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
Sure.

Hi Chad,

The new PDF's have been uploaded into Dropbox with the new game board.

The two half board files and the full 11x17 game board file.

Thanks for adding this to Tabletop.

I will have the setup cards ready soon. It will add another 1 or 2 PDF sheets for all the new setup cards level beginner, novice and advance play.

I will also have all the responses to your questions tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed it out, looking forward to having a try when I get the time meeple

The videos were pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
radchad wrote:
Sure.

Hi Chad,

I will have the setup cards ready soon. It will add another 1 or 2 PDF sheets for all the new setup cards level beginner, novice and advance play.

Thanks Joseph. I will wait until I have all the files before I change things!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
kingspud wrote:
radchad wrote:
Sure.

Hi Chad,

Thanks Joseph. I will wait until I have all the files before I change things!

Sounds good. I just need to add the setup cards, probably 1 or 2 more pdf sheets "9 to 18 setup cards" and update the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vialick wrote:
Printed it out, looking forward to having a try when I get the time meeple

The videos were pretty good.

Thanks Douglas,
I should have the new setup cards ready soon and the updated rules. I'm removing all the unnecessary random setup by including the new setup cards. This will make getting the game ready to play much faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Notes from my playtest:

1) The rules mention 2 d8's but the components section do not.

The d8 dice have been removed and are no longer needed for setup. I've created setup cards to make game setup quicker and easier!

2) I am sure that you already know this, but the set up for the basic game does not have the proper cube amounts that you need. They mention 9 red cubes and 9 yellow cubes. The robots that I see need Yellow, Orange, and Green. (Nice video by the way. It helped a lot.)

Yes, this has been corrected by placing the necessary information on the Setup Cards.

3) I think that it needs to be said that two tiles cannot be placed in the same space during set up. (Or if it can, how do you resolve that?)

Removed as mentioned above.

4) The section about "Straight Conveyor Belt Construction" left me more confused than not about how to connect the belt. The picture made it worse because I cannot tell why one conveyor belt is not ok, but the other one is.

I've added explanations to the figures in the rules book. Thanks for pointing this out!

5) The random set up for my game using the assembly robots actually made it impossible to win the game. I am going to have to make a house rule and eliminate the orientation of where the robots pick up and process the widgets.

Fixed by using the Setup cards!

6) I don't see anywhere in the rules where to place the starting robots. I made a house decision that I could place them where I wanted when I made see the factory floor set up.

I've added this to the rules and explained that the factory floor robots start on any number on the edge of the game board except the four corners. "START, 9, 18, 27" The factory floor robot can't move diagonal!

7) I don't see anywhere in the rules that indicates when to place new widgets. I am going to assume that one starts in the start space and one is placed in the start space if it is empty when the widgets are supposed to move.

This is exactly how you position the widgets! You start with one on the START conveyor belt and as they move you place another cube on the start conveyor belt until you run out of cubes/widgets!

8) Can a widget move onto a conveyor belt that is currently picked up by a robot?

When the widget moves onto a conveyor belt that is next to an assembly robot and in the correct position, that robot will pick up the widget and process it by moving it to the space marked by the assembly robot tile arrows. If no conveyor belt is in the correct position to except the widget, it falls to the factory floor and is destroyed.

9) When a robot rotates a picked up widget, can it rotate it as far as it wants?

I'm not sure I understand the question, widgets don't rotate they just move from one conveyor belt to another conveyor belt as indicated by the assembly robot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CRAZY ROBOT FACTORY is now ready for initial play testing!

All components are in Dropbox and the rules have been updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am about to get to my assignments for the volunteer playtesting, Joseph, so I am not sure if I will actually get yours. I will still try to update the file today though and post it.

And the file can be found here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
I am about to get to my assignments for the volunteer playtesting, Joseph, so I am not sure if I will actually get yours. I will still try to update the file today though and post it.

And the file can be found here.

In the photo you have a robot programming card along with a factory assembly arm. You only use 1 factory assembly arm during play and if you decide to play a 4 player game you would use 4 programming cards and 2 factory assembly arm.

You can remove the factory assembly arm off the robot programming card. you should only have 2 robot programming cards and 1 factory assembly arm during play.

Thanks for doing this!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.