10 Posts

T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: Dear Bob: (SPOILERS for all scenarios) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ann Onymous
msg tools
Dear Bob:

A few of the agents have asked me to come forward and mention some concerns we have.

When we completed the mission in the asylum in 1922 we left the receptacles we’d been inhabiting safe and sound. Considering their impaired mental states, they seemed no worse off than before we arrived.

However, after saving Marcy we left our receptacles facing a gruesome death surrounded by mutant hordes.

We’re fixing Time to save lives, right? This cavalier disregard for the well-being of sentient life-forms troubles us. It smacks of the attitude that “the ends justify the means” which inspires precisely the sort of heinous deeds that our enemies engage in.

Our last mission to the planet Linaïs also saw us abandoning our receptacles to a terrible fate.

We use these innocents and then discard them like trash.

How does this make us better than the Syaans?

How can we ensure that our receptacles aren’t sent into similar suicide missions in the future?

Without morality power inevitably is turned to evil purposes.

Please pass this along to your superiors.

Thanks, Bob.

Flavio V - T.I.M.E agent, 2nd class
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notasockpuppet wrote:
Dear Bob:

A few of the agents have asked me to come forward and mention some concerns we have.

When we completed the mission in the asylum in 1922 we left the receptacles we’d been inhabiting safe and sound. Considering their impaired mental states, they seemed no worse off than before we arrived.

However, after saving Marcy we left our receptacles facing a gruesome death surrounded by mutant hordes.

We’re fixing Time to save lives, right? This cavalier disregard for the well-being of sentient life-forms troubles us. It smacks of the attitude that “the ends justify the means” which inspires precisely the sort of heinous deeds that our enemies engage in.

Our last mission to the planet Linaïs also saw us abandoning our receptacles to a terrible fate.

We use these innocents and then discard them like trash.

How does this make us better than the Syaans?

How can we ensure that our receptacles aren’t sent into similar suicide missions in the future?

Without morality power inevitably is turned to evil purposes.

Please pass this along to your superiors.

Thanks, Bob.

Flavio V - T.I.M.E agent, 2nd class

Well, sometimes you have to sacrifice a few to save many... it's the greater good... there are situations where unfortunate things will happen or else terrible things will happen in their place...

I take unfortunate over terrible everyday... and it's true... not everything is rainbows and shooting stars in life... sometimes shit happens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
"You'll know my name when you remember yours."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed agent, who are we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Fisher
msg tools
Actually, based on some of the dialogue at the end of PoD, that seems to be the primary idealogical difference between the Syaans and TIME agencts.

In PoD, the Syaan king says that the reason they took over was to stop an attack on the planet, and we were foolish to interfere.

TIME agents' job is to stop any TIME paradox by making sure time isn't changed- even if it's for the better. Syaans seem to believe time can be made better through interference from the future.

It's like the 'Killing Hitler' paradox. If someone goes back in time to kill Hitler, there's no WWII. With no WWII, there's no reason for a time traveler to go back and kill Hitler. This creates a paradox, which causes a rift.

Syaans are the ones that go back to kill Hitler. TIME Agents are the ones that know Hitler was bad, but save him because his actions are essential to the timeline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OH, I JUST GOT THIS MESSAGE FROM THE AGENCY:

Dear agents,

what colleague Kyle posted in a forum of a place called "boardgamegeek", where respectable but also questionable individuals exchange information, is absolutely right. We are glad he portrayed the differences between our races regarding moral questions short and accurate, so no further questions need be discussed.

We are sure you understand that - for the greater good - it is essential to keep the time line unaffected at all costs. Unfortunately, sacrifices have to be made at times.

Some of you might refer to Everett, but we can assure you, fellow comrades, that's utter nonsense. There is only one way to retain our future - our way. And there is no space for doubts or heretic concepts. We are proud of you. Proud that you believe in the agency as we do, dear combatants.

Always yours,

The Consortium of the T.I.M.E Agency

TOP SECRET
- just concerns Flavio V, T.I.M.E agent, 2nd class -

Razovsky will take care of the leftovers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We should keep our eyes open to be able to unravel the mysteries we don't notice at first glance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I recalled seeing a Syaan logo somewhere... maybe in PoD... but looking through the cards I can't find it. Was I just imagining seeing one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arram Dreyer
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Funny you should mention this moral dilemma. When I was designing my scenario this thought did occur to me. Luckily, at the end of the scenario (Broken Peace) the receptacles are no worse off than before. However, when I started designing my second scenario I realized the receptacles may die at the end. This bothered me for the exact same reasons you mentioned. I started looking for ways to make sure this did not happen. I have not made a final decision because I haven't finished the scenario. I may never finish it based on a few factors but if I do, rest assured, the receptacles will live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is what YOU think... erhh... anybody seen Razovsky?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.