Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, I'm a new player with few games under my belt and for the moment I won't be playing outside of my friends. My question is I'd like to balance out the core set by swapping any over powered weak or clumsy cards with similar cards from another pack or two at most.
I'm not looking to make a competitive deck for myself but just to improve the core set. All the other cards will be left aside.
what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Where you are at in the game, and based on your interest level, I would recommend you get a copy of each deluxe expansion and call it. Likely pick up a What Lies Ahead data pack also for a few select cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
don't forget opening moves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
What Lies Ahead gives you a popular runner identity and some protection, plus more agendas. Opening Moves gives corps a fighting chance against various tricks.

I'd also suggest looking at winning decks for interesting cards to get later. Most decks have a many cards stretched over a few packs which form a particular synergy. For example a series of ICE or breakers which grow stronger when you have a collection of them.

Once you've got the addiction it's not recommended to buy packs linearly. You may eventually need everything when it takes over your life, but apart from a few essential early data packs the fun (and useful) stuff is in later cycles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense to the posters above, but neither really addresses the OP.

OP: There's really no way to "swap out" individual cards from the Core set with other cards as there aren't really direct replacement reprints or power creep among the released expansion cards. There are certainly a couple of weaker cards in the core set that do not see much play from those that build decks from the existing card pool (Wyrm, Lemuria Codecraker, Aurora, Pipeline, ...), but there aren't really "direct" replacements for those cards. Each card released has been fairly close to the power level curve for its cost (with a little variation).

As an example, Barriers have a fairly linear power curve. Neutral barriers like Wall of Static have a direct relationship between strength and cost (1:1). There are reasons for using one over the other, but none are really more powerful or versatile than the other in every situation. Other types of cards operate on a similar principles.

Also, your question implies that you are looking to keep using the "starter decks" (i.e. single faction cards with the neutrals) but with individual cards changed out. Can't say as I recommend trying that for the reasons above. Also also, because of the faction "colour pie" there are no real upgrades that cover the faction weaknesses from the Core set. You have to use the deck building and influence system to balance those weaknesses using cards from other factions. For example, there is no good Shaper "Killer" (sentry breaker). It's just not what the Shaper faction is meant to be good at.

It's the nature of a living card game, really. It doesn't really operate on the same principle as CCGs like Magic the Gathering where there are straight upgrades to commonly available cards. Also, it is quite difficult (maybe impossible) to build two decks that will be perfectly balanced and always interesting to play against each other. Usually, one or both decks will have some sort of strong combination or weakness that ends up being the determining factor for most of the games in repeated plays. This is where you would start changing the decks with the deck building rules in order to shore up those weaknesses or to directly combat the other's strength.

So there is a lot of fun to be had by just constructing a couple of decks using only cards from the Core anyway. Keep in mind that the starter decks don't use any influence points. So, straight away you can make adjustments to those decks within the core that replace a weaker card (eg. Pipeline) with a stronger one (eg. Mimic or Femme Fatale).

Having said all that, if you're still looking to spend more money on buying expansions, here are some suggestions for a few new possible useful cards for doing those minor balance tweaks:

What Lies Ahead - Almost universally agreed that the first data pack existed solely to round out cards that didn't make the cut into the Core set. However, the most useful cards that stem from this pack are the extra Agendas for the Corps. Using only a single core set, you cannot change the Corp agenda suite so getting this pack is a huge boon. IMHO, ditching Private Security Force for the agendas included in this pack is almost always a straight upgrade (but there are, of course, ways to make PSF into a beastly threat).

Up and Over - I only recommend for the Shaper console Astrolabe. Shapers kind of got screwed for a long time on the console front and Astrolabe fixed that in a hurry. There are plenty of other interesting cards in the pack but most require the support from other released cards (an unfortunate and necessary truth from the first few released cycles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the quick replies, and great info
while I was out I managed to find What Lies Ahead so I'll start there
Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.