glauco bacchi
United Kingdom
coventry
West Mids
flag msg tools
The problem: each player draws randomly one of each basic type of unit card during set up. Unit cards are either weak, medium or strong. If a player draws three weak cards their game can be a miserable experience.

What we do to fix it:
1. first we form a number of initial hands equal to the number of players so they are balanced but diverse, eg for a three player game we make these three hands up:
weak infantry + medium artillery + strong mounted
weak artillery + medium mounted + strong infantry
weak mounted + medium infantry + strong artillery

2. all but one player close their eyes while the seeing player rearranges the 3 piles

3. all but a different player close their eyes and the new seeing player hands out one pile to each player

Now we do not know what we each have but they are equally strong starting hands.

4. Just shuffle the remaining combat cards and play.

If playing with 4 we form a 4th initial hand as
medium infantry + medium artillery + medium mounted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hannah
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play with the Wisdom and Warfare expansion, you can avoid all of these issues. The combat system has been completely redesigned so that all (level I) units are either 1 strength/3 defense, 2 strength/2 defense, or 3 strength/1 defense. This way all units are balanced.

If you're interested, I have an extra set of the expansion units. I bought a second copy of the game to create a 6th player version and have the extra cards because you just never know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Coto
msg tools
Hello, I got a question regarding combat original civ. game no expansions.

Last night we were playing and player A with romans attacked a city, we drew cards etc...the thing was she had killed a unit with a level3 blue card; I used a level 5 yellow card. She trumped green so she hit me with 3, I survived since my card was 5. It is my turn to strike so I hit 5 right? The other player argued that since that blue card had 3 wounds, I would hit 2, not 5. I did not agree. Other players agred with me.

Did we do it correctly or not? I could not find anything in the download sections, ufaqs or forum regarding this specific matter. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
It will hit with it's normal strength, wounds do not reduce that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Coto
msg tools
ty again man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.