RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940» Forums » General

Subject: how hard? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matija Grubišić
Croatia
Sibenik
flag msg tools
how hard or easy is to win the whole campaign? i am trying to find some solitaire that has long campaign, and is thought to win...
is thoughter this version or the old one, which do you recommend?
i am thinking a long time, and finaly got on two names:this and silent war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
POUM
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't Silent War, but from what I get from BGG, it plays a long long time. I don't know if it is thought to win.

RAF 1940 doesn't take that long. There are also some good tactics in the game that should make it easier to win (I have manage to loose anyhow) and make the game shorter. That if you play the British side (Lion). I have yet to win playing as the Germans (Eagle).

This is one of my favourite games. I like the theme (Battle of Britain and aerial combat). Rules are not hard. Some excellent playtrough videos here in BGG. d10-5d10-5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

If you want a tough solitaire challenge you can pick pretty much any of John Butterfield's designs: RAF, D-Day series, Enemy Action. Good Luck if you do. You'll need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stoka wrote:
how hard or easy is to win the whole campaign? i am trying to find some solitaire that has long campaign, and is thought to win...
is thoughter this version or the old one, which do you recommend?
i am thinking a long time, and finaly got on two names:this and silent war.

Silent War has many scenario's, some (very) short, most long and some that represents the total duration of the war and will sent you on 'eternal patrol'. It's not a difficult game, but that doesn't mean it's easy to win. Far from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Pewtress
Canada
Guelph
Ontario, Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both good choices, I enjoy RAF very much. Still haven't tried the Eagle scenario (German side), about a half dozen British plays though. Silent War will garner a LOT of early war frustration with those crappy torpedoes.

I'd recommend RAF (newest version) just because of the 3 in 1 games in the box!

Clint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the second edition of RAF (The current edition is the third). I've only played lion campaign. It is medium hard. If you do well early you have a better chance later. If you screw up early, it gets harder.
Luck is a serious factor but it can be mitigated. What I generally do is instead of responding to all raids I try to hit one of them with all available forces (check errata as there is a limit to the size of defending forces) to be able to do massive damage to attackers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.