Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Important question. Who can help me...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi to all.
I have the Avalon Hill Edition of Cosmic Encounter and I have a question: is there a limit hand card for players...? It's important because some alien powers sometimes (during long sessions of play) can allow a player to draw the entire card's deck (already appened)!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
Re:Important question. Who can help me...?
RaistlinMajere (#22481),

No, there's no hand limit, although I'm tempted to say you've gotten some other rule wrong. I don't see how any of the powers in the Avalon Hill edition would allow the situation you describe to happen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Important question. Who can help me...?
Frog wrote:
RaistlinMajere (#22481),

No, there's no hand limit, although I'm tempted to say you've gotten some other rule wrong. I don't see how any of the powers in the Avalon Hill edition would allow the situation you describe to happen.


I know very well the rules. Drawing all the deck is already happened in some games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cataldo
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Important question. Who can help me...?
Neat.

What combination allows you draw the whole deck?

I'm not that familiar with all of Cosmic Encounter's powers, so I'm curious.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
Re:Important question. Who can help me...?
Let me try to figure out which power in the Avalon Hill set could allow this...

Well, Filch and Vulch allow you to keep cards in play, but I can't imagine they'd make a difference. Vulch only has eight cards he can possibly grab, and Filch can only be used when he is a main player.

Mutant only takes effect when the player goes under seven cards. That could possibly contribute to running out of cards, but the maximum difference it can possibly make is six cards.

Parasite could in theory defend constantly and gain four cards as defensive rewards, but that would be difficult to pull off.

Philanthropist has some effect on card distribution, but won't help a player end up with more than seven cards.

Trader of course encourages players to be wasteful, getting rid of all of their good cards and trading with players with larger hands. I can't imagine it could do anything but help.

Clone is the only one I can imagine would have any effect, but I've played Clone lots of times and have never ended up with more than say, 20 cards. Clone can only really gain cards through consolation and defensive rewards, and if he spends too much time collecting cards he's going to run out of ships pretty quickly. If you're letting Clone get too many cards, you're going way too easy on him.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Important question. Who can help me...?
JoDiamonds wrote:
Neat.

What combination allows you draw the whole deck?

I'm not that familiar with all of Cosmic Encounter's powers, so I'm curious.


Well, I don't remember all the matches where that happened (but I remember certainly that happened at least other two times in the last four months of play), but only the last match I played about 10 days ago; in a four players game the Aliens were: Healer, Parasite, Virus and Filch (me). After a very long session of about two hours Filch & Healer's hands were of 20/25 cards each.
The deck is composed of 54 cards...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
Re:Important question. Who can help me...?
RaistlinMajere (#22617),

You do know Filch can only use his power when he is a main player of a conflict, right? If he is an ally or uninvolved, he can't use his power (unless you're playing with Flares, which you obviously aren't).

Also, a smart Filch player only uses his power to grab a worthwhile card- using up your hand so you can get new cards is a useful tactic, and is one of the reasons Philanthropist is a great power. Filling your hand full of chaff you'll never use can hurt you in the long run.

And as far as healer goes, you really shouldn't allow him to use his power that much. In both of these situations there are plenty of ways to stop the player in question using consolation, plagues, etc.

And people who let games of CE get drawn out tend to ignore the fact that you can achieve a joint victory with other players. If you cooperate for a win the game should be over reasonably quickly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Important question. Who can help me...?
Frog wrote:
RaistlinMajere (#22617),

You do know Filch can only use his power when he is a main player of a conflict, right? If he is an ally or uninvolved, he can't use his power (unless you're playing with Flares, which you obviously aren't).

Also, a smart Filch player only uses his power to grab a worthwhile card- using up your hand so you can get new cards is a useful tactic, and is one of the reasons Philanthropist is a great power. Filling your hand full of chaff you'll never use can hurt you in the long run.

And as far as healer goes, you really shouldn't allow him to use his power that much. In both of these situations there are plenty of ways to stop the player in question using consolation, plagues, etc.

And people who let games of CE get drawn out tend to ignore the fact that you can achieve a joint victory with other players. If you cooperate for a win the game should be over reasonably quickly.


Mmm... I understand. Probably we aren't very good CE's players and can be that's the reason of the problem; often we tend to prolong the game too much, but sometimes is the only way to survive...!
Thank you for your advices.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Important question. Who can help me...?
Frog wrote:
RaistlinMajere (#22617),

And as far as healer goes, you really shouldn't allow him to use his power that much. In both of these situations there are plenty of ways to stop the player in question using consolation, plagues, etc.

And people who let games of CE get drawn out tend to ignore the fact that you can achieve a joint victory with other players. If you cooperate for a win the game should be over reasonably quickly.


The healer can use it's ability anytime a ship goes to warp, regardless of whether or not they're the active player, correct? If so, I could see the healer drawing many, many cards through the course of the game.

Since there aren't that many plague cards, or methods to prevent ships from going to warp (save the zombie), I can easily see the healer drawing plenty of cards.

Just my 2 cents.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Important question. Who can help me...?
mrspank (#28244),

One way to limit the Healer's power is to have fewer ships on the losing side. If there are 16 ships attacking your 1, maybe you shouldn't use the special cards or powers to kill off all the attacking ships. (In my last game, I think that we figured that out just a little bit late.) Arranging your ships so that there are planets defended by only one token can help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Liebert
United States
flushing
New York
flag msg tools
Re:Important question. Who can help me...?
JoDiamonds (#22554),
the ameoba can give 19 ships to defense if it wants and then collect defender rewards for each one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.