Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out this was a redone (albeit lighter) Queen's Gambit, with reviews indicating that it wasn't quite as good, but is still fun and 1/10th the price.

So, anyway, I began to wonder if there was a way to actually proxy missing components (eg. QG has a deck for each side, while SW: Risk has a single deck) and make essentially QG 2.0.

Would this be possible, and, if so, economically feasible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're hoping to replicate QG with this, then no, they are far too different to manage that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
I don't know Queen's Gambit that much other than some videos, but what do you mean SW risk only has one deck? There's an imperial deck and a Rebel Deck. Did you mean for different areas of battle? If so, then the decks are already combining all the areas of battle, and you choose which battle to attack when you play the card (it can have from 1-3 battles on one card).

The only idea I've seen that makes it closer to QG (from what I know of QG) is that there is a variant where the winner of the lightsaber duel then get's into a tie fighter/x-wing and joins the main battle. You can find it in the variants section.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but in QG, there are 4 battles, but the main ones seem to be the ground battles, no? The space battle is more like a side battle. Whereas SW: Risk is all about the space battle, with both the lightsaber duel and the endor battle not being as important (save for the endor battle taking down the shield).

Other than that, I'm not sure how else you'd bring it closer to the original unless you do some major work on it, changing the game. Maybe making a variant where the side battles are more of a 'battle,' with pieces from another game (like SW imperial assault? hmm, this might be fun). Though it would take some work to balance it.

I haven't played QG, but SW:R is fun in and of itself. I feel like QG may be more for hardcore gamers as there is so much to think about, whereas in SW:R you focus on the strategy for the main battle, and the side battles are fairly easy to get into without any strategy needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Starkiller
msg tools
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No but there are variants that made it feel more QG in nature such placing a greater emphasis on the duel between Luke and Vader like the winner jumping into a starfighter and joining the space battle, instead of rolling a 6 to blow up the Death Star you have to engage in a "trench run" to destroy it where you progress along sectors like the scaffolding, coolant tanks, and finally the main reactor with imperials following in pursuit to stop you.

Another is what's called the "push-back" variant on the Endor track where after some math and you roll the number needed you actually push the strike team back a space.

Not to plug myself but I have a collection of variants I do use to make the game more exciting: http://geekdo.com/thread/1564698/risk-star-wars-variants

But no, you cannot convert this game into QG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.