Popular Tags: [View All]
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so 4 districts are used .. are messages for 2 dummy colours placed on the districts inbetween the players - so 4 colurs are in play during the game?

And how is the card pass around handled with 2 players - I see it mentioned in german rules but don't understand german and the translation here doesn't mention that part.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(First a note to Langy: this will be so much easier to answer now I realise the questions were about Notre Dame and not Wikinger!!)

Because I condensed the rules, I fitted the 2 player bits into the main text. The German layout makes it seem like there are more changes than there actually are for 2 players.
I put the bit about the dummy set-up in with the normal preparation:
'With 2 players, use 4 districts and lay messages on all 4, but only use one set of pieces each - using opposite districts of the board.' (from my condensed rules).
The German says this in a lengthier way and also adds about having to collect one of each of the four colours before getting a second one of a colour. Since this is the same as with 4 players, and is already stated in the rules, I didn't repeat it.

For passing the cards you simply do exactly the same as with more players but as there are just the two of you, one of the two cards you pass to your opponent will then be handed back to you. The German rules make it sound as if something different is happening but it isn't! The German says:
'In the second phase, each player passes on two of his three cards to his opponent, one of which he will afterwards get back again. This results in both players playing with two of their own cards and one of their opponent's.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Steve ,

Was gonna play last night - but didnt as I didnt want to play incorrectly!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fledermaushaus wrote:
For passing the cards you simply do exactly the same as with more players but as there are just the two of you, one of the two cards you pass to your opponent will then be handed back to you. The German rules make it sound as if something different is happening but it isn't! The German says:
'In the second phase, each player passes on two of his three cards to his opponent, one of which he will afterwards get back again. This results in both players playing with two of their own cards and one of their opponent's.'

Sorry - I don't understand. How is this the same as with more players? It sounds like a different rule to me.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly , it sounds like a different rule but isn't!
The multi-player rule is that after drawing the top 3 cards from your deck you choose one and pass the other two to the player to your left. You are handed two cards from your right hand neighbour. You choose one of these and then hand it to your left hand neighbour.
With 2 players, the other player is both your left hand neighbour and your right hand neighbour. So you hand him 2 cards at the same time as he hands you 2. You choose one of the 2 cards given to you and then give the other back.
So it's just the same with 2 as it is with more. (If it makes it easier to visualise, think of handing the cards to your left and so you pass the cards with your left hand and take them with your right, even when there are only 2 players in the 'circle').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotchya - I suppose what they were stressing is that you will end up with 2 of your own cards, which provides a different way of looking at the game from a strategic standpoint, but doesn't change the mechanics of how the game plays out. The 3+ player rules say you will end up with one of your cards, one card from the player to your right, and one from the player 2 positions to your right. The 2-player rule is the same, except noting that the player "2 positions to the right" is yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.