Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey, I'm working on adapting some "real" comic characters to this game and was wondering acouple of things:
-What do you think an average persons/civilians card would look like to use as a baseline? Would it be all 1's? All 2's? Or a mix?
-Would a superstrong character do 2 POW's on every attack or is that overpowered? I notice the characters that come with the game have special circumstances if they are allowed to do 2 POW's.
-Has anyone else tried some customizing? What have you tried?
Once again, we're having a great time with this one. Go get a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barryzimm wrote:
Hey, I'm working on adapting some "real" comic characters to this game and was wondering acouple of things:
-What do you think an average persons/civilians card would look like to use as a baseline? Would it be all 1's? All 2's? Or a mix?

I would like to see what you come up with. My two cents:

I would make them (average persons) very similar to the Thugs in the game (A-3; D-2; S-3; V-2). Thugs have no super powers, but might be a little tougher than the average guy. I might lower the average citizen's A to 2 and, of course, would not have them armed with a pistol (Thugs, when on a 4 space, can attack open foes ). I think would go for A-2; D-2; S-3; V-2.

I would not go for all 1's. That would make them slower than zombies. I don't think they would move any slower than thugs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For normal people I agree with A-2, D-2, S-3, V-2.

2 POWs on every attack would be a very powerful ability. The two strongest characters are YGG and Titana. Titana can inflict 2 POWs only under certain circumstances - if she's attacked on a 1 space she can get a bonus POW, and if she's attacking someone who already damaged her she inflicts 2 POWs. YGG causes more damage as he gets hurt himself, but if no one attacks him (a common tactic) then he only inflicts one POW.

If a character gets a straight 2 POWs all the time, the normal statistics would have to be lower to make up for it - attack, defense, speed, vigor.

Just making stuff up off the top of my head, but here are some ideas for a couple mainstream super-strong characters:

Hulk: The Hulk could have a transformation like Moonbeast or increasing strength when enraged like YGG. When enraged, does Hulk attack everything in sight? If so, that could implemented so as to cause him to attack friends as well as foes under certain circumstances.
A:4 D:2 S:4 V:6
#1: Add 1 to defense when on a 1-space
#2: Inflicts 2 POWs when attacking
#3: After receiving 4 POWs, +2 to attack, inflicts 3 POWs, and must attack without moving if there is an adjacent character, even if that character is a friend.

Superman: It's hard to make Superman fair in any game. You'd just have to make Kryptonite a real danger, I guess.
A:6 D:4 S:12 V:9
#1: Flight: Can move over obstacles and diagonally
#2: Heat vision: Can attack any open foe
#3: Kryptonite: If successfully attacked by a foe from a black square, he is immediately KOed.

That's probably still too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here's some intial ideas and thoughts. I don't think it matters to me if the heros are all equal but I do like sticking with the three powers each mode. These are DC characters cause that's what I like.

Flash
A:3 D:4 S:12 V:4
Fast Attack
You may attack all surrounding foes.
Vibration
If you do not attack on your turn you may move over walls, objects, trees, and rooftops.
Superspeed
Instead of moving before you attack you may move after you attack.

Hourman
A:3 D:2 S:3 V:4
Hour of Power
On turns 1-3 and 7-9 you gain the following abilities:
[Superstrength]
You do 2 POWS on a successful attack.
Enhanced Abilities
Defense and Speed are doubled.
Durability
If KO’d role the battle die. If you role a 4 or higher you remain in the game and sustain no damage.

Sandman (Origional Wesley Dodds)
A:4 D:3 S:4 V:4
Gas Gun
Instead of attacking normally you may spend one open figure.
Sleep
Instead of attacking normally you may spend all surrounding figures.
Dreaming
Once per round you may make any one character re-roll a die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Speaking as someone who has played the game bunches and bunches of times since picking it up just before the first of the year, I've got all I can handle with the official characters included with the game. 32 heroes is a virtual horde, and that's not even including all the crony characters. The number of possible character and power combos is nothing short of staggering.

Even after playing the game as much as I have, I still wouldn't feel confident throwing home-brew supers into the mix. The nuance and balance of the game, as is, is just too finely tuned, and I find myself surprised by something new nearly every time I play.

Also, as a matter of personal preference, I'd just as soon leave the overdone Marvel and DC characters to their own worlds (and the scores of other games that celebrate them). When I play Capes & Cowls, it's Wyrd City I want. I've even gone so far as to track down a couple of issues of the Wyrd City Chronicles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I agree wholeheartedly. I would never suggest custom characters is the way to go with this game. Part of the beauty is the balance of the characters as they are. When I play with others we use the characters that came with the game.
However, I gotta do something with all those worthless Heroclix figures Besides, it's fun tinkering within the game system and sue me if I'm a comics fan.

Where can you find copies of the Wyrd City books? I've looked on line and come up empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I would not want to mix the worlds of Wyrd City, Marvel and DC up either. I have not even tried mixing DC and Marvel Heroclix together in that system. I don't think Hulk would stand for it, and I am sure Thing wouldn't.

But I think using Heroclix figures (either DC or Marvel) in the Capes & Cowls system sounds doable and could be fun. And I do think the attributes that exist in the Wyrd City characters would readily establish a good base for determining the attributes of many Marvel/DC characters. We already have in the various Wyrd City super powers obvious Hulk powers, and Flash, and Green Arrow, and Spiderman, and Mr. Fantastic... etc. etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elvisx wrote:
Speaking as someone who has played the game bunches and bunches of times since picking it up just before the first of the year, I've got all I can handle with the official characters included with the game. 32 hereoes is a virtual horde, and that's not even including all the crony characters. The number of possible character and power combos is nothing short of staggering.

Even after playing the game as much as I have, I still wouldn't feel confident throwing home-brew supers into the mix. The nuance and balance of the game, as is, is just too finely tuned, and I find myself surprised by something new nearly every time I play.

Also, as a matter of personal preference, I'd just as soon leave the overdone Marvel and DC characters to their own worlds (and the scores of other games that celebrate them). When I play Capes & Cowls, it's Wyrd City I want. I've even gone so far as to track down a couple of issues of the Wyrd City Chronicles.

Those are my sentiments too. One of the things I love most about Capes & Cowls is the uniqueness of the characters. No two heroes have even one power in common.

The Red Rook, for instance - as someone else has already said - is the only hero in the game with pure and simple flight. A few other heroes have powers similar to flight, but each of these powers is its own one-of-a-kind variation.

Adding supers to the game that share or trump the powers of the standard characters would, for me, water down the whole experience and be a lot less fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I honestly wasn't even thinking of mixing them. I think part of the brillance of the game is the balance of the characters. We're thinking more of doing a DC version of the game just for the fun of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barryzimm wrote:
I honestly wasn't even thinking of mixing them. I think part of the brillance of the game is the balance of the characters. We're thinking more of doing a DC version of the game just for the fun of it.

I think you ought to. Not mix them, but use your DC 'Clix and see how it works. My 'Clix are mainly Marvel, and I think it would work. Adapt a good system for use with other figures. No need to mix the worlds, but no reason for not experimenting as you have suggested to see what you come up with. I may try to do the same with my Marvel characters sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elvisx wrote:
Speaking as someone who has played the game bunches and bunches of times since picking it up just before the first of the year, I've got all I can handle with the official characters included with the game. 32 hereoes is a virtual horde, and that's not even including all the crony characters. The number of possible character and power combos is nothing short of staggering.

That's pretty much my feeling as well.

I used to tinker with games quite a bit myself--adding characters, coming up with variants, etc.--but with less and less time on my hands, I find myself gravitating to games that offer premium satisfaction straight out of the box. That's what I like about Capes & Cowls; even after playing the game well over thirty times, I'm nowhere near feeling the need--or a deep enough grasp of its subtleties--to tinker with it in any way. When I have time to play it, I actually PLAY it. "But," said the man to the mirror, "that's just me."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.