The Voyages of Marco Polo: The New Characters» Forums » Variants

Subject: Gunj kököchin and Mercator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lorry Moller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kokochin's private resources space is pretty similar to the Khan's favour and balanced similarly. Using it nerfs Mercator's ability, which could make a difference in a 2 player game with those two characters.

What do folks think about allowing Mercator to receive an extra camel when Kokochin's space is used? I think that makes sense in any game that he would get a camel from the Khan's favour (ie 2 or 3 player games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morris Ho
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's the reason for drafting characters at the start of the game. If you see someone choose Kokochin before you, you wouldn't then choose Mercator because that would not be advantageous.

Conversely, if someone chose Mercator first, it would then be a very good move to choose Kokochin as your own character. The point is, making strategic choices is a big part of The Voyages of Marco Polo, so you should choose your character wisely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
RKron wrote:
I think that's the reason for drafting characters at the start of the game. If you see someone choose Kokochin before you, you wouldn't then choose Mercator because that would not be advantageous.

Conversely, if someone chose Mercator first, it would then be a very good move to choose Kokochin as your own character. The point is, making strategic choices is a big part of The Voyages of Marco Polo, so you should choose your character wisely.

That essentially sounds like you're agreeing that Kokochin effectively reduces the value of Mercator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
That essentially sounds like you're agreeing that Kokochin effectively reduces the value of Mercator.

Seems like it. That's not surprising, since several of the characters reduce the value of other characters, especially depending on the board setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.