The Ravens of Thri Sahashri» Forums » General

Subject: Ren's part of the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Hello,

Just played the first game with my girlfriend and we felt that Ren part of the game was very passive. Most of the decisions are made by Feth and he plays a lot more.

What are your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully those involved don't mind me pasting this here from comments on my blog:

Eric Brosius wrote:
benosteen wrote:
The Ravens Of Thri Sahashri s also great but the Feth player bears the brunt of the deduction and makes all the spatial choices. This leaves the Ren player with comparatively fewer choices to make during a game. Not a problem, the game runs smoothly but I can see a good Ren playing getting frustrated at a crap Feth

The two roles appeal to different people. If you're Feth, you do the direct action, for the most part. If you're Ren, you influence the action behind the scenes, providing key information that allows Feth to succeed.

It's like the spiker and the setter in volleyball, or the lead and the follow in ballroom dancing, or the soloist and the accompanist in a duet. I believe it's an error to think that one is more important in any of these 2-person cooperative activities. They are just different in prominence, perhaps, and different in what skills are needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
What are your thoughts?

I initially felt Ren's was similar to that of the Master in Mastermind, but after a while I figured it was almost harder to play Ren than Feth. Fest just asks. Ren has to answer, and as her answers are so few, they are highly important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodotus Halicarnassus
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Hello,

Just played the first game with my girlfriend and we felt that Ren part of the game was very passive. Most of the decisions are made by Feth and he plays a lot more.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are both players should be switching off roles every few games because there's a lot more nuances to both sides than there appears to be at first glance. Though I feel like it's easier to win with a skilled Ren and crappy Feth than vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Herodotus Herodotus wrote:
I feel like it's easier to win with a skilled Ren and crappy Feth than vice versa.

I second this. Ren has to do more with fewer options. Feth will take more actions, while Ren will do more thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.