Pax Renaissance» Forums » General

Subject: So, will it be a great 2 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

Anyone knows if this is another great Eklund 2 players game or better with 3-4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey there.

One of the playtesters here. I played it mostly at 2P, and GMed a 4P game. It was important to me that the 2P game played well, and it did. There are some slight changes to the 2P win conditions (as compared to 3P and 4P), but the positional posturing and see-saw battle over win conditions made for plenty of tactical maneuvering.

Lots of avenues for trying to secure wins, and you have a wide berth in a 2P game. There are lots of ways to counteract an opponent's potential win. There might be more of a "gang up" factor is one player is close to winning in a 4P game, but since players are limited to two actions per turn, there's never really a sense of an opponent being unstoppable in a 2P game.

Unlike Pax Porfiriana, the Prestige Win Condition is not based on tripartite scoring -- simply more X than any other player. In that sense, a 2P game and a 4P game would be very similar in gathering and maintaining the prestige lead -- but there's just more competition for it.

Experience disparity does show itself -- an experience player will definitely better position themselves against a newer player. This is apparently in a 2P game, but less apparently in a 4P game since beating up the leader is possible.

All in all, can definitely recommend this for 2P gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Thanks.

Did you get to play the extension? Does it improve the 2p game (is it necessary)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Badigel wrote:
Thanks.

Did you get to play the extension? Does it improve the 2p game (is it necessary)?

The extension is still in development at the moment. The expansion consists of 30 East cards, and 30 West cards. About 30% of the cards introduce new abilities. I think the expansion is very much an optional one, and is ideal for those looking for more variety of cards and new abilities beyond the base game. From my point of view, not necessary for the 2P game, considering each 2P (base) game only uses a subset of the game's cards anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois-Xavier
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do you reckon it's the best of the Pax games for two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
macfix wrote:
So do you reckon it's the best of the Pax games for two players?

Hard to say, as I haven't played Pax Pamir yet.

I personally liked it more, but then I would need a lot more plays of Pax Porf at 2P, as well as playing Pax Pam a bunch more times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both and though I haven't played either with 2, I think Porfiriana would be the better game with 2p. Just a gut feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.