Axl Zombie
msg tools
Last night we used a randomizer and it has the "hero" team consisting of both Heroes and Villains.

Some of the cards being used referred to adversaries and sidekicks which the randomzier app did not state to bring out even though the specific characters being used has special powers utilizing these cards. Is it just implied that when they're referred to, they should be included in the game?

We also had one power that stated "if any villains are in your discard pile..." but with the current game set up, that didn't make any sense. I just remember thinking "how would a villain ever get into the discard pile?" (rather than the victory pile).

I don't recall all of the different sets used now unfortunately, but regardless of whether that villain role was perhaps an adversary, even then, how would those get into the discard pile?

Are villains being used as "heroes" in such a scenario still referred to as villains?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The terms are perfectly interchangeable.
Ally = Hero
Adversary = Villain.

treat adversaries as if they were heroes and vice versa.
The only difference is that between SHIELD Officers and Madam Hydras and between Wounds and Bindings.
I don't really see how a "villain could be in your discard pile". could you tell me what card is that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal S.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I don't really see how a "villain could be in your discard pile". could you tell me what card is that?

Professor X's ultimate can. It has a "whenever" clause stating that when the player using this cards defeats a Villain (including Henchmen) this turn, you may gain it. The card becomes a grey Hero with no text that gives + Attack equal to its Attack. And yes, you still get its Victory Points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hpark1990 wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Professor X's ultimate can. It has a "whenever" clause stating that when the player using this cards defeats a Villain (including Henchmen) this turn, you may gain it. The card becomes a grey Hero with no text that gives + Attack equal to its Attack. And yes, you still get its Victory Points

Yes, but it becomes a hero, it is no longer a villain, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not Professor X's text according to this thread:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1243890/complete-card-t...

(Whenever you defeat a Villain this turn, you may gain it. It becomes a grey Hero with no text that gives + Attack equal to its Attack. (You still get its VP.))

That phrase doesn't seem to appear on any cards as stated, so I don't know what it would actually be referring to.

axlcox wrote:
Last night we used a randomizer and it has the "hero" team consisting of both Heroes and Villains.

Some of the cards being used referred to adversaries and sidekicks which the randomzier app did not state to bring out even though the specific characters being used has special powers utilizing these cards. Is it just implied that when they're referred to, they should be included in the game?

Yes, you're free to use any of the extra stacks (New Recruits, Sidekicks, Madame Hydra, Shield Officers) in any game if you have them, unless you're somehow told otherwise. You would even combine all the bystanders from all sets you own into a single stack as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal S.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
hpark1990 wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Yes, but it becomes a hero, it is no longer a villain, right?

Hi Adelin, that is correct. I don't understand how the Professor X ult text Jason wrote is different from the one I provided...

Anyhow, I was trying to figure out the combination of cards axlcox was talking about his in quote below and provided an answer to his second paragraph.

axlcox wrote:

We also had one power that stated "if any villains are in your discard pile..." but with the current game set up, that didn't make any sense. I just remember thinking "how would a villain ever get into the discard pile?" (rather than the victory pile).

I don't recall all of the different sets used now unfortunately, but regardless of whether that villain role was perhaps an adversary, even then, how would those get into the discard pile?

Are villains being used as "heroes" in such a scenario still referred to as villains?

@axlcox, what combination of cards are you talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was showing that the OP isn't directly quoting Professor X. You were right, I was just quoting the specific text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal S.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
I was showing that the OP isn't directly quoting Professor X. You were right, I was just quoting the specific text.

Correction: We are both right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I always use the default board set up for Heroes or Villains, respectively, even though I always mix all the sets together. So if I'm playing on the Heroes board and I have a card that tells me to gain a New Recruit, I go ahead and gain a New Recruit. I just don't let players buy them normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy fix: don't cross the streams!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axl Zombie
msg tools
Ok we had to recall which cards were pulled (we abandoned that game pretty quick). These are the ones we remember:

Mastermind - Apocalypse
Villains - Wasteland, Maggia Goons, Four Horsemen (assuming, based on Apocalypse)
Heroes - Bullseye, Maximus, Old Man Logan, Wolverine (X-Force), Steve Rogers: Director of Shield.

I don't have the cards in front of me or else I might be able to find the exact card that caused the confusion.

This might be a rabbit hole since I know I'm missing some of the elements, but - thought someone may be able to explain despite my lack of info.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal S.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
axlcox wrote:
Ok we had to recall which cards were pulled (we abandoned that game pretty quick). These are the ones we remember:

Mastermind - Apocalypse
Villains - Wasteland, Maggia Goons, Four Horsemen (assuming, based on Apocalypse)
Heroes - Bullseye, Maximus, Old Man Logan, Wolverine (X-Force), Steve Rogers: Director of Shield.

I don't have the cards in front of me or else I might be able to find the exact card that caused the confusion.

This might be a rabbit hole since I know I'm missing some of the elements, but - thought someone may be able to explain despite my lack of info.

Thanks!

Off the top of my head, I don't think any of those cards put villains into a player's hero deck. Perhaps the scheme was Invade the Daily Bugle? A player could easily accidentally put a villain into their deck/discard with this scheme... and apocalypse would make it easier to do this too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.