BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Escape From Fusion Earth! An Adventure Strategy Card Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
// UPDATE //
Follow the link below to access our print and play files and be one of the first to try out Escape from Fusion Earth!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-21jAEHFwvbRFRTMUVNbm1qMl...

Hey guys! Firstly allow me to introduce myself. My name is Riley Jones and I'm co-founder of Influx Studios.

As a studio we have a background in design however this is our first venture into game development...and we haven't got a clue what we're doing! That's where you guys come in. We'd love it if you could give our initial ruleset a read over to a)see if it makes sense, and b)see if it seems like fun and would be something you'd be interested in playing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys.

Riley
Influx Studios

Escape From Fusion Earth!

A 10-30 minute strategic card game for 2-4 players of Time Travel, Parallel Earths and a whole host of enemies as you battle against the odds to repair your Time Machine and Escape from Fusion Earth!

A major Space-Time event has occurred across the Multiverse and you’re in big trouble! An inter-dimensional Space-Time vortex has ripped through the fabric of the Multiverse, travelling sideways across the coordinates occupied by an infinite number of Parallel Earths. Everything caught within the vortex has been pulled through to a new dimension and smashed together to create a new Parallel Earth known as Fusion Earth.

Players play as parallel versions of the same Time Traveller who were caught in the void when the vortex opened and has been transported to Fusion Earth. Passing through the dimensions has drained their Time Machines of power and they will need to refuel in order to be able to travel again. The Travellers will have to battle both the elements of Fusion Earth and their Alternate Earth counterparts in order to scavenge for rare Quantum Crystals to restore power to their Time Machine and exit through the Space-Time vortex to their own dimension, before it closes behind them and they are trapped on Fusion Earth forever!

Goal

The aim of the game is to refuel and release your Time Machine by collecting 3x Quantum Crystal Cards. Once your Time Machine is refuelled you place it into your Hand. The winner is the Player who plays all of their Cards and is left with only their Time Machine. However it’s not that simple. The other Time Travellers will be doing everything within their power to make sure that it is them who are first to restore power to their Time Machine and exit through the vortex.

Gameplay

Players receive 1x Time Machine Card, which they place in front of them on The Playing Surface. If less than 4x Players are playing then remove the remaining Time Machine Cards from The Deck.

Players are then dealt 6x Cards from The Deck. The remaining Cards are split into two equal halves and placed back together with one half face up and the other face down. The Deck is then shuffled and placed on The Playing Surface. The first 6x Cards from the top of The Deck are then placed in the centre of the playing area. This is termed The Draft Area and will be where The Players draw their Cards. As a result of shuffling the two halves of The Deck together some of these Cards will be face up and others will be face down.

Play starts with each Player guessing the current time. The Player who guessed closest begins and play continues in a clockwise direction. There are 4x Phases to the gameplay: The Draft, The Replenish, The Discard and The Action.

The Draft

Play starts with The Player selecting 1x Card from The Draft Area and placing it into their Hand. Prior to refuelling your Time Machine you must always have at least 6x Cards in your Hand. So on your turn if you only had 2x Cards then you would select 4x Cards from The Draft Area. If you have more than 6x Cards in your Hand then you only select 1x Card. Once you have refuelled your Time Machine and placed it into your hand then you only select 1x Card from The Draft Area on each turn, regardless of how many Cards are in your Hand.

Once The Player has selected their Card(s) play moves onto The Replenish Phase.

The Replenish

However many cards you selected from The Draft Area is the amount of Cards you must replenish, so that the total amount of cards in The Draft Area always totals 6x. So again if you took 4x Cards from The Draft Area then you must take 4x Cards from the top of The Deck and place them in the spaces left behind. It is very important that when you take the Cards from The Deck you don’t turn them over. If a Card is face down it stays face down in The Draft Area and if its face up it stays face up.

The Discard

Now that you have selected your Card(s) from The Draft Area and Replenished the spaces left behind with Cards from The Deck you now move on to The Discard Phase. At this point of the game you select a Card to play and place it in The Discard Pile.

The Action

Once a card has been Discarded the Player carries out the specified action on the Card.

After the action has been completed that Player’s turn is over and play continues clockwise.

Repair Your Time Machine

Once a player has 3x Quantum Crystal Cards in their Hand they can refuel and release their Time Machine. To do so the Player must declare and show the other Player(s) their 3x Quantum Crystal Cards and shuffle them back into The Deck. When placing them in The Deck 2x should be face down and 1x face up. You can now pick up your Time Machine and place it in your Hand. This counts as your turn and you do not Discard a Card nor carry out an action. If you have no other Cards in your Hand when you release your Time Machine then you have won the game. If, however, you do have Cards in your Hand then play continues until a Player is left with only their Time Machine. That Player is declared the winner and can return through the space-time vortex to their own dimension. With accompanying sound effect of course!

If you have released your Time Machine into your Hand and another Player Swipes it from you using an Action Card then that Player must place your Time Machine back on The Playing Surface in front of you and you will be required to collect 3x Quantum Crystal Cards again.

Special Mentions

There are 5 Enemy Classes as follows:

Dino Savages - Shuffle any Quantum Crystal Cards back into The Deck.
Undead Vikings - Take the bottom card of The Discard Pile and place in Hand.
Steampunk Pirates - A Player of choice takes 1x Card from your Hand and Discards.
Robot Samurai - Each Player gives you 1x Card of their choice.
Fusion Mutant - Take all face down cards from The Draft Area and place in your Hand.

If you play 1x of these Cards then you must carry out the specific Action.
If you play 2x of the same Enemy Class then you can ignore the Action.
If you play 3x of the same Enemy Class then you can choose a player to apply the specified Action to.

Playing more then 3x of the same Enemy Class also allows you to ignore the Action.

Upgrades

Some Action Cards will be upgradable. This will be displayed clearly on the Card. To upgrade the Card you must attach 1x Salvage Card to it and Discard both Cards. In doing so you are able to carry out the upgraded effect of the Card rather than the standard effect.

So, do you have what it takes to beat your Alternate Earth counterparts and Escape from Fusion Earth?!

Only Time will tell! Good Luck Traveller!

Thanks!

Thanks for reading guys! If you got this far here's your reward. Some concept art from our amazing artist Rachel Alderson. Go give her a follow over on Twitter @aldersaur. You won't regret it!

We'd love to hear what you think and any ideas that you might have for the mash up element of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for introducing your game politely! We've had a few new designers recently who took, shall we say, less courteous approaches to introducing their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
spartax wrote:
Thanks for introducing your game politely! We've had a few new designers recently who took, shall we say, less courteous approaches to introducing their games.

Well thanks, I'm glad it hit the right mark. I'm asking a lot of you guys to read the whole thing so being polite is the least I can do!

Hopefully get some much needed feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey Guys! We're very excited here at Influx Studios to reveal our first completed character card design by the amazing Rach Alderson.

And here she is in all her glory, our fabulous Steampunk Pirate!

Now that she's finished we definitely need a better name for her than Steampunk Pirate. She's a Pirate Captain and she has red hair so we were thinking of Captain Scarlet...hmmm not sure it will catch on.

We'd like to throw it open to you guys. We've got some other names in mind (honest) but we'd love to here what you all think. If you've got any ideas then just post them on this thread.

A bit of info about the card to help. The Steampunk Pirate is one of five enemies found on Fusion Earth. If you play this card then a player of your choice has to take a card from your hand and discard it.

That's all for now guys. We look forward to hearing your response and we can't wait to bring you more updates.

Our next design to be completed is our Undead Viking. Can't wait to show you guys!

Thanks for stopping by.

Riley
Influx Studios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark w

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Influx_Studios wrote:
Hey Guys! We're very excited here at Influx Studios to reveal our first completed character card design by the amazing Rach Alderson.

Now that she's finished we definitely need a better name for her than Steampunk Pirate. She's a Pirate Captain and she has red hair so we were thinking of Captain Scarlet...hmmm not sure it will catch on.

We'd like to throw it open to you guys. We've got some other names in mind (honest) but we'd love to here what you all think. If you've got any ideas then just post them on this thread.

A bit of info about the card to help. The Steampunk Pirate is one of five enemies found on Fusion Earth. If you play this card then a player of your choice has to take a card from your hand and discard it.

That's all for now guys. We look forward to hearing your response and we can't wait to bring you more updates.

Our next design to be completed is our Undead Viking. Can't wait to show you guys!

Thanks for stopping by.

Riley
Influx Studios

Discarding is almost like her stealing the card so maybe Thieving Scarlet perhaps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Being a pirate, I'd say looting, pillaging, or plundering would be more appropriate.

Also if you want to avoid similarities to other characters, there is a Captain Scarlet in the Borderlands franchise that has an expansion named after her. Just throw in' that out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
cmain wrote:
Influx_Studios wrote:

Thanks for stopping by.

Riley
Influx Studios

Discarding is almost like her stealing the card so maybe Thieving Scarlet perhaps

Nice. I like the thieving idea. That works really well with both the pirate aesthetic and the action of the card. Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
smackwell wrote:
Being a pirate, I'd say looting, pillaging, or plundering would be more appropriate.

Also if you want to avoid similarities to other characters, there is a Captain Scarlet in the Borderlands franchise that has an expansion named after her. Just throw in' that out there.

Thanks for the heads up. The Captain Scarlet thing was just a joke referring to the old tv show similar to the Thunderbirds. I think we may need to work on our humour as well as our game! I like where you're going with the looting and plundering suggestions. It's building on Mark's idea but with a bit more emphasis on the pirate theme. I really like it. We're just going to have to have a think how we could incorporate this into a name. We do like 'Crimson'. Maybe 'The Crimson Plunderers' or something along those lines? Not sure if we want an individual name for her or a name for her gang. Which do you guys think would work better? And thank you for your input. We really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
You could try a mix of both. Lucky Lucy's Looter Freebooters or something like that. I dunno, makes for a mouthful. The Hooks n' Pegs? The Gangplank Gang? The Doubloon Goons? The Irate Pirates? The Villager Pillagers? Alright now I'm just being silly. shake

Anyway, the game sounds really cool. Dig the fact that the players all play a different version of the same guy. Very cool stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
smackwell wrote:
You could try a mix of both. Lucky Lucy's Looter Freebooters or something like that. I dunno, makes for a mouthful. The Hooks n' Pegs? The Gangplank Gang? The Doubloon Goons? The Irate Pirates? The Villager Pillagers? Alright now I'm just being silly. shake

Anyway, the game sounds really cool. Dig the fact that the players all play a different version of the same guy. Very cool stuff.

Haha glad you're having fun with it. That's exactly what we're after. No suggestion is a silly suggestion! Our only concern really is economy of space. We're thinking of having the title of the card down the left side, taking up 3/4 of the card at most. So it's a difficult balance of getting a fun/interesting name but one that will fit on the card. For instance Lucky Lucy's Looter Freebooters is a fantastic name but we'd either have to make massive cards or write in the tiniest font! lol It's tough finding the balance.

Glad you like the sound of the game! We think it's a pretty cool idea but you never know what other people are going to think. So thank you for that. And thank you for your awesome suggestions! We're looking forward to pushing on with this game and can't wait to share more designs with you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akira Kato
Canada
flag msg tools
I actually love how this game sounds so far! I have a few questions!

1.What is the distribution of all of the cards? How many Salvage cards, how many of each Enemy Class?

2.Since Time Machines progress can be halted multiple times, I imagine the playtime of this game can vary substantially. Do you have an estimated playtime?

3. My understanding is that discarding is the action that allows you to play the effect of cards. I find the term discarding a bit confusing since it implies that your throwing away something without value? Have you considered other terms instead of discarding?

Also I would love to playtest this, do you have a PnP?

I will stay up to date with this project and wish you guys luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
InnerAkumaGames wrote:
I actually love how this game sounds so far! I have a few questions!

1.What is the distribution of all of the cards? How many Salvage cards, how many of each Enemy Class?

2.Since Time Machines progress can be halted multiple times, I imagine the playtime of this game can vary substantially. Do you have an estimated playtime?

3. My understanding is that discarding is the action that allows you to play the effect of cards. I find the term discarding a bit confusing since it implies that your throwing away something without value? Have you considered other terms instead of discarding?

Also I would love to playtest this, do you have a PnP?

I will stay up to date with this project and wish you guys luck!

Hey, Thanks Akira! Glad you're liking how the game sounds so far and that you'll be keeping up to date with it's development.

To answer your questions:

1) The distribution of the cards will be as follows:

106x Cards in Total
4x Time Machines
16x Salvage Cards
25x Fusion Enemy Cards, split across 5 enemy classes. So each enemy class will have 5x Cards.
61x Action Cards

Obviously this is susceptible to changes the more we play test but that's how the distribution stands at the moment.

2) You're right, the Time Machine can be halted on a number of occasions but so far we've found that a game can last between 10-40 minutes depending on the number of players. The fewer players there are the shorter the game. It was a concern of ours that the game has the potential to continue without an endgame if the progress of the time machine is constantly being halted. To tackle this we implemented a mechanic in which once the deck has been exhausted that is the end of the game and the player who has their Time Machine and the fewest amount of cards wins. So far in play testing this outcome rarely happens but we thought it was important to prevent the game from continuing without reaching an endgame in a desirable amount of time.

3) That's a very valid point and one which we hadn't really considered. There are a few action cards in which the player has to 'discard' a card without carrying out its specific action. And you're right, that's a more accurate use for the word discard. If we also use the term 'discard' to carry out the action on a particular card then things might get confusing. So I think you're right, 'discard' should be reserved for moments when a player must get rid of a card within executing it's action and we should have a different term for playing a card to carry out its action. Not sure what that would be though. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks for those questions Akira. It's really helpful to discuss these type of things with people who are new to the game. It really highlights things that we may have missed because we're too invested in it.

We'll definitely be releasing a pnp play test soon so keep an eye out on here for updates or follow us on Twitter @influx_studios_

Thanks again
Riley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey guys, just a quick update. We're putting the finishing touches to the design of our Steampunk Pirate character. We're not sure which colour scheme to go with for her pet squid, who shall henceforth be referred to as Sir Squiddles. We're a bit divided as to which works best so thought we'd run it by you guys. So which colour for Sir Squiddles do you prefer?

Cheers gang,
Riley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akira Kato
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm liking the pink and orange one the most!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
InnerAkumaGames wrote:
I'm liking the pink and orange one the most!

Thanks Akira. That's defintley the way we're leaning. Just can't really decide between the orange and the pink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akira Kato
Canada
flag msg tools
Perhaps you should try to accent the image with the colors of the octopus, so that it doesn't stick out so much. The first thing that I noticed is that all the octopuses seemed to stand out from the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
InnerAkumaGames wrote:
Perhaps you should try to accent the image with the colors of the octopus, so that it doesn't stick out so much. The first thing that I noticed is that all the octopuses seemed to stand out from the image.

I agree, the blue Sir Squiddles stands out too much. We tried to incorporate greens into one to harmonise with the greens on her outfit but I think that just has the effect of the two characters blending together and being lost. I think the orange separates them the best without being too overpowering. I agree though I think it still does stand out and needs to be toned down ever so slightly.

Thanks again for your feedback. It really does help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
"Courage isn't the matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - 3rd Doctor
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb

Definitely orange. It blends together nicely with the character.

(I like the green one, but that is just the little Cthulhu on my shoulder whispering in my ear! goo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Use foil so the color rainbows when you move the card.

Or just go with orange. I like the orange one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
metabulis wrote:

Definitely orange. It blends together nicely with the character.

(I like the green one, but that is just the little Cthulhu on my shoulder whispering in my ear! goo)

Haha stay out of this Cthulhu, this doesn't concern you! Thanks man, appreciate the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
wombat929 wrote:
Use foil so the color rainbows when you move the card.

Or just go with orange. I like the orange one.

Oooh that's a cool idea! We might look into foiling as a Kickstarter stretch goal.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback guys. Pretty much everyone we asked said that the orange Sir Squiddles worked best. So here's the finalised artwork for our Steampunk Pirate.

Now we still just need a decent name! We're thinking 'The Crimson Sisters' but we'd welcome any other suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Here's our next Fusion Earth enemy character we've been working on. It's our Zombie Viking.

We're thinking of going with 'Viking Name' The Undead. Not sure what the Viking name part is going to be yet though! :s you guys got any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
"Courage isn't the matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - 3rd Doctor
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... let me see:

Sven The Undead sounds cool.

Bjørn (bjørn – bear) By the size of him, that could work, but might be too hobbit-ty.

Gunnar (gunnr – fight / ar – worrier) Not bad...

But my favorite: Snorre (snurre – the unruly one)

Snorre the Undead. Now that is a kick-ass name for a Zombie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Influx Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
metabulis wrote:
Hmm... let me see:

Sven The Undead sounds cool.

Bjørn (bjørn – bear) By the size of him, that could work, but might be too hobbit-ty.

Gunnar (gunnr – fight / ar – worrier) Not bad...

But my favorite: Snorre (snurre – the unruly one)

Snorre the Undead. Now that is a kick-ass name for a Zombie!

That does sound pretty cool! Liking the definition of the name too. Thanks for the suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.