Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Abrams
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
mb
I agree that the University is an over-priced building. The only time I've seen it used was once at the end of a game when people were buying buildings just to get the victory points.

What do you think of lowering the cost of the University to 4 or 5 or 6 doubloons to bring it back into the game?

A second option is to replace it with the guesthouse, which serves the same function to some extent.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Lowering University value
RichardAbrams (#22488),

I would suggest you allow anyone who purchases the university to "man" it immediately for free using a colonist from supply. I think this would enhance its appeal, without risking imbalancing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stayman (#22670),
wow, that's a pretty cool suggestion that doesn't really disrupt the game so much. it could even be construed to make sense that the university gets a colonist on itself, since new buildings coming with colonists is what the uni does.
i still don't think i'd get it very often, but maybe once or twice instead of never. it's worth noting that university really is much more valuable than hospice, not only because there are more buildings that work without plantations than plantations that work without buildings, but also because the builder is chosen with a much higher frequency than the settler in most games.
the problem is that the hospice is basically as overpriced as the university. i think the ideal price for hospice is $3, and for uni it's $6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Turpin
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mb
verandi (#22809),

Actually, in the three times I played PR until now, two of the games were won by players who bought the university early in the game. But maybe that was just coincidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
I agree that the Uni is overpriced, and I might want to try either or both of the options suggested above.

The other building that I hardly ever see get put up is the Construction Hut. What do you think about reducing that cost to 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Jackson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My instinctive reaction to all these points is that you're all out of your minds.

I've found the university to be a great tool if you end up going for a building strategy. It allows you to get new buildings up and running immediately without the need for a mayor phase, it's insanely useful in that final round (especially if you're not playing with the statue from the expansion). I've found that I tend to win in games where I take the university - not necessarily so much because it's a great building, but because when I'm at the point where the university becomes worthwhile the setup is naturally snowballing towards a win through building. It's *far* more valuable in game terms than the hospice, which is also stunningly useful. I guess a vague guideline to the value of a building is whether it lets you make back its building cost in money, doubloons or other miscellaneous stuff, and there's no doubt that the university does. All your buildings come online at least a turn earlier (probably more), you get far more colonists (great if you can get the fortress), and potentially it gives you a pile of VPs in a final building phase while denying anyone without a university the ability to get a large building up and running. Right now I feel it's the most criminally underrated building in the game, although obviously it won't work out for everyone.

The construction hut's value varies based on the number of players in the game. In a three player game there are enough quarries to go around. In a five player game, where they're at a premium, anything that lets you get more is worthwhile. Again, does it make back its cost? Hell, yes. Each quarry you get saves you a doubloon for each building you build. If you're going for a pure building strategy (or even a mixed strategy) that's going to pay back dividends immediately. Even if you're going for a more aggressively shipping strategy you'll need to build, and if the right type of plantation tile isn't out there for your shipping goods, a quarry is an outstanding choice to take. I don't think I can see any strategy in which the construction hut isn't worth having if you pick it up fairly early on, while quarries are still out there. There's a reason the generally accepted best strategy starts with taking a quarry in first seat, and it doesn't go away just because you're further round the table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.