Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The instructions for Linebacker II read.

NVA removes 2 Bases, Resources –15, Ineligible through next card. 6 Casualties or 3 US out of play to Available.

For choosing which space(s) to remove bases, I used the Random Space Chart. The result was Tay Ninh, which had an NVA tunneled base (as well as being the only NVA base in the South).

The rules state

5.1.1 (bullet 3) Events do not force removal of Tunneled Bases unless removal of Tunneled Bases is explicitly stated (1.4.4). A Faction may opt to remove its own Tunneled Base to fulfill Event text.

Since this is technically the NVA making the choice, would the bot opt to remove the tunneled base in Tay Ninh, or move to a non-tunneled base as its first choice? I see no rules reference for the bots to preferentially choose non-tunnels vice tunnels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, I JUST had this happen as well today (playing as ARVN). Since I can't find anything that states that a bot would avoid removing Tunneled Bases, I just went ahead and removed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yep, the bot will remove its own Tunneled Base. An oversight, but that's what the printed rule says.

/Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
Yep, the bot will remove its own Tunneled Base. An oversight, but that's what the printed rule says.

/Oerjan

Since it was an oversight, should there be a bot errata?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Let me put this out here in the hopes of a good idea from the community:

Being in the mids of designing the ADP bots variant, I've been thinking how to display all this info about bot event placement/removal/shifting in one place and in a quickly accessible form? Anyone got any good ideas?

I was thinking of a table with rowd for piece type and support/oppose, and columns for actions like place/replace. How'd that be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You mean like the "Remove, Place, Move" list next to the FitL Random Spaces table, expanded to include 8.4.4-5 as well? Sounds good to me, as long as it fits on one of the existing foldouts.

As for errata - not at this point, no. The main alternative to removing Tunneled Bases in the South is to remove (Resource-generating) Bases along the Trail, and that has enough drawbacks of its own that there is no clear "optimal choice" for every situation; and that makes the Random Spaces table as effective a method to choose as yet another special case for selecting Event spaces in 8.4.4.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.