Mandy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just picked up Food Chain Magnate for $99.97 from GameNerdz.com

Miniature Market $135.00
Amazon $178.46

Be sure to create an account as well to get 250 bonus points. Only paid $97.47 after I redeemed my points. I know what me and my friends will be playing next weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
majetta04 wrote:
Just picked up Food Chain Magnate for $99.97 from GameNerdz.com

fwiw that looks to be $10 more than they were selling it for before... from

http://www.boardgameprices.com/prices/foodchainmagnate

it says $89.97... but unavailable... clicking on link from BGP show it's is in stock but now $10 more

fwiw next closest is $108 at cardhaus (but free ship only on $125+ orders)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
HODL
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this game so expensive? "Because Splotter" seems to be the only explanation anyone can offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
Why is this game so expensive? "Because Splotter" seems to be the only explanation anyone can offer.

Small print runs in Europe will cost more per unit than large print runs from China.

Aka, "Because Splotter."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Klarmann
United States
Dutch Harbor
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macgruff wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

Small print runs in Europe will cost more per unit than large print runs from China.

Aka, "Because Splotter."

Yup, "Because Splotter"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:

It's 75 Euros direct from Splotter, plus shipping. That seems completely reasonable considering the boutique publishers that they are (ie. small print runs). Very much in line with other small print run games from Europe like most Spielworxx games, Lignum, etc.

Would you disagree that that's reasonable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
HODL
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

It's 75 Euros direct from Splotter, plus shipping. That seems completely reasonable considering the boutique publishers that they are (ie. small print runs). Very much in line with other small print run games from Europe like most Spielworxx games, Lignum, etc.

I read somewhere that a typical Splotter print run numbers between 150-500 games, but I'm guessing Food Chain Magnate is closer to 5000* by now (five reprints so far?). $85 seems reasonable for a tiny print run, but sooner or later, economies of scale should kick in.

*number pulled from my butt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wiggins
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How soon? 1 month? 2 months? 7 months? You forget this game only came out last November and didn't start really buzzing till January or so. That's given these guys 7 months to even work on this without knowing the full idea of popularity? Would the 2nd print run sell out? Would the 4th? Jesus Z-Man can't keep Uwe games in stock and we're raking these guys over the coals for doing all they can just to get games in our hands. I'm really over this argument... Splotter keep on splottering!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
I read somewhere that a typical Splotter print run numbers between 150-500 games, but I'm guessing Food Chain Magnate is closer to 5000* by now (five reprints so far?). $85 seems reasonable for a tiny print run, but sooner or later, economies of scale should kick in.

2,700 people state they own FCM on BGG

3,279 people state they own roads and boats, printed on and off since 1999 and still garnering prices around $180

2,200 people state they own Antiquity(2004) prices going for around $250

2,061 people state they own Indonesia(2005) prices going for around $100-120

I dunno, I have a feeling, $85 is probably going to be on the low side ONLY while they are still in print. If it goes out of print for a few years, you'll see price hike up pretty quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
HODL
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeWiggins wrote:
How soon? 1 month? 2 months? 7 months? You forget this game only came out last November and didn't start really buzzing till January or so. That's given these guys 7 months to even work on this without knowing the full idea of popularity? Would the 2nd print run sell out? Would the 4th? Jesus Z-Man can't keep Uwe games in stock and we're raking these guys over the coals for doing all they can just to get games in our hands. I'm really over this argument... Splotter keep on splottering!
Nobody's raking anybody. We're just having a civil discussion about prices, as we're apt to do here on the Hot Deals forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Klarmann
United States
Dutch Harbor
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

This is reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
$85 seems reasonable for a tiny print run, but sooner or later, economies of scale should kick in.

Only if they do a large print run. I suspect they will all be too small for economies of scale to really kick in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
eapeas wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

Sooner. Or not*. soblue

It was announced a few months back that Passport has picked it up for distribution.

*(see follow up below)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:
eapeas wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

Sooner. It was announced a few months back that Passport has picked it up for distribution.

Oh... thanks for that tidbit of info. I doubt there's much point in picking up a Splotter copy then. I will await the inevitable price drop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:
eapeas wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

Sooner. It was announced a few months back that Passport has picked it up for distribution.

Oh... thanks for that tidbit of info. I doubt there's much point in picking up a Splotter copy then. I will await the inevitable price drop.

My understanding is that passport is distributing copies printed by splotter in the US as they have done for other titles by them. Not likely to have a price drop as they aren't printing/publishing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hippiephysicschick wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:
eapeas wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

My understanding is that passport is distributing copies printed by splotter in the US as they have done for other titles by them. Not likely to have a price drop as they aren't printing/publishing the game.

Unfortunately it looks like you're right as R&B and Zimbabwe certainly never saw any significant price drops apart from the very rare sale.

So much for dreams of affordable Splotter titles. Which is not to say I don't think they're worth every penny. I played Food Chain Magnate at ConnCon and it was immediately added to my buy list.

On a strictly physical component level I have to confess there's a great deal less in the much smaller box than Roads and Boats and Antiquity for the price. Don't think there's ever been a Splotter title more ripe for full scale production at an affordable price point than this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, just checked the for the splotter preorder shipped to South Carolina. It's ~$112 for anyone wondering.

Edit: My keyboard hates me this morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Klarmann
United States
Dutch Harbor
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mls5stokes wrote:
FYI, just checked the for the splotter preorder shipped to South Carolina. It's ~$112 for anyone wondering.

Edit: My keyboard hates me this morning.

Is that minus the VAT? I thought I paid less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anybody still looking for a copy at a slightly-less-than-exorbitant price, you can get it from philibertnet.com for 62.50 EUR + 20 EUR shipping = 82.50 EUR total, which is roughly $94.

Similar to Amazon.de the initial shipping is steep, but you can add on other titles for less than 20 Euro shipping apiece which helps spread the pain. For instance they also have Indonesia and Zimbabwe for preorder for the same 62.50 EUR price and total shipping for all 3 is 50 EUR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
eapeas wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

I have it on pretty good authority that most of the 'big box' titles from Splotter have 2,000 game print runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
eapeas wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

Why would they want to take the risk of a much larger print run? And if they did a bigger run why would they want to cut the price? It's sold out at the current price and there would be long term ramifications if they cut the price. Namely, people waiting for a price cut on their new games they produce going forward.

I don't see any reason for Splotter to cut their price on FCM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

2,700 people state they own FCM on BGG

3,279 people state they own roads and boats, printed on and off since 1999 and still garnering prices around $180

2,200 people state they own Antiquity(2004) prices going for around $250

2,061 people state they own Indonesia(2005) prices going for around $100-120

I dunno, I have a feeling, $85 is probably going to be on the low side ONLY while they are still in print. If it goes out of print for a few years, you'll see price hike up pretty quick.

Pretty sure I saw a comment from one of the Splotter guys that said they have sold more copies of Food Chain Magnate in ~9 months than they have of Roads and Boatts since 1999.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me Stillme
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My local shop has pre-orders on a handful of Splotter releases. Great Zimbabwe and Indonesia. Along with Food Chain Magnate.

Seems like pretty good pricing, they are all 105.99 and you can use the 10% off coupon code. They also have free shipping on orders over $89.

https://boardlandia.com/products/food-chain-magnate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
hippiephysicschick wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:
eapeas wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

Ah! Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.