Subject: Armour assembly or not rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

So I will get this seemingly fantastic game when its rereleased down the road (hopefully not to far away!) and I have a question for you who have the game: have you assembled all the different armour sets in the core game or are you just playing with your starting survivors regardless of the armour or weapon they have equipped?

The reason Im asking is when I get the game, I plan on just assemble the starting survivors (and the bosses of course) and won't bother assembling another mini just because he got a new armour or weapon. Or is this something frowned upon in the community?

PS Im worthless at mini assembly/painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do whatever makes you happy.

It's your game, you get to choose how you spent your money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rimewisp wrote:
Do whatever makes you happy.

It's your game, you get to choose how you spent your money.

I know, I know just interested in hearing how other players do it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Vergnal
France
flag msg tools
I'm just playing with the starting survivors and it is ok to me.

When you will discover the amount of work and dedication KDM demands by just assembling these fours + all bosses, the decision will be easy to make

I plan to assembly some others survivors but really it's not mandatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Gabriel85 wrote:
Hi all!

So I will get this seemingly fantastic game when its rereleased down the road (hopefully not to far away!) and I have a question for you who have the game: have you assembled all the different armour sets in the core game or are you just playing with your starting survivors regardless of the armour or weapon they have equipped?

The reason Im asking is when I get the game, I plan on just assemble the starting survivors (and the bosses of course) and won't bother assembling another mini just because he got a new armour or weapon. Or is this something frowned upon in the community?

I've had the game for about 4 months. I've assembled all the monsters and Nems (have all the expansions too). I've only assembled about 16 survivors, mainly the starter, rawhide and leather armour kits. I'm only just now, about to actually finish a campaign. I've assembled a few minis, that look pretty crap (their poses), so I'd rather take my time and when inspiration strikes, I'll have all the options to assemble what I want.

I haven't painted anything either, I'll get into that once I move into a bigger place, at the end of this month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gabriel85 wrote:
Hi all!

I found assembling minis quite fun, and I have already done this with 19 survivors so far. I don't really care much about armor. Just give them enough variety of weapons so that you can have a male/female mini with at least the most common ones (to start with: dagger, blade, axe, bow, katar, spear...)..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also suggest eventually doing the unarmored kit. That'll tell you if you enjoy working with the kit minis (you have to select a pose and heads and hands and such), and you'll soon discover that not every team consists of 2 boys and 2 girls (the game is so random in dealing deaths and powers, that you always play with the survivors you have and not the ones you want).

We were soon in the need of a more diverse pool of survivors (we're kinda biased towards using female charcters, in our stars campaign using males basically just to reproduce) and of course I discovered that I enjoyed mini assembly (I knew I loved painting) so I'm close to having every mini done (so far, unpainted and glued with tac to plain bases), which doesn't make the game "better" or more "fun", but it is a nice visual plus (we're two players using two characters each, so it helps avoiding confudion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Sebastien Fortin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
with all the expansions minis etc...

I basically use:
4 starting survivors
2 Intimacy
2 People of the stars
2 People of the sun
2 DBK armor
1 regenerative pin up

I sold all my coregame armor sprue and it paid for 2 expansions... I thinking about selling the others...

In my opinion, a choice of 13 miniature to play with for your survivor is more than enough for me (I used to have 3 warhammer armies and got rig of most of them) I wanted to reduce the size this game can take on my selves... and get a little money I spent into it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steelfencing wrote:
with all the expansions minis etc...

I basically use:
4 starting survivors
2 Intimacy
2 People of the stars
2 People of the sun
2 DBK armor
1 regenerative pin up

I sold all my coregame armor sprue and it paid for 2 expansions... I thinking about selling the others...

In my opinion, a choice of 13 miniature to play with for your survivor is more than enough for me (I used to have 3 warhammer armies and got rig of most of them) I wanted to reduce the size this game can take on my selves... and get a little money I spent into it

Thats really smart! I think I will do the same, sell all armour kits and only keeping the standard survivors thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The game changes when you have models for survivors. It helps you connect, and makes the game even better. Magnetizing meh. Selling kits meh. Assemble them and give them personality. Mix sets. Go for what looks cool. My opinion is you'd lose a lot of potential without realizing it if you just try to make a quick buck on armor sets. Seriously, think about it before you do it. I would never sell. I might even buy some more naked sets if they hit the store again. Rawhide, sunstalker, and the green armor are all so amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James DeYarman
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I try to go for what-you-see-is-what-you-get as much as possible with my survivor miniatures, but I'm a sucker for assembling and customizing minis.

After a game session, once we've picked departing survivors and equipment, I'll reassemble the models with the new equipment they're carrying (or to reflect that a new survivor is going out with the deceased survivor's old gear).

I use plastic model cement to put together any components that don't need to be detached again later, like arm, head, and torso halves but I'll also use it to join the torso to the waist because larger pieces like that are easier to hold together with a small amount of glue that's easy enough to pull apart again later. For the small joins like wrists and necks I've turned to using super glue, as plastic cement fuses too strongly and I find it takes too much force to break the join and reuse the pieces. Super glue seems so far to let me wedge and snap the hands back out of the wrists and swap them after cutting away the remaining dried glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assembled a male and female for each armor kit in the game and am using the rest to do some mixed sets that look nice. My armor set minis are in the images section somewhere, I think they look alright - even if I would choose to play a little more before choosing weapon options to get a little more accuracy on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I have only assembled -

starting survivors
Lion
Screaming Antelope
Phoenix (80% done)
Butcher

I'm running a few campaigns and the longest one is at LY 6. So this model count has been fine for us/me.

I'm not a talented modeller and don't wish to rush these beautiful mini's.

I agree that in terms of immersion it would be nicer to have custom mini's for each phase, but there's no way I have time to learn/try to magnetise the mini - I barely have time to play cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baiyuan Di
msg tools
Style over accurate depiction of the actual loadout, without completely disregarding that aspect, would be my shortest answer.

First of all I think this depends not just on taste, but also on hobby background.
Coming from military models, to tabletops, to sculting and painting just for the sakes of it, your approach probably isn't the same as for someone who struggles a bit because it's his first attempt at a boardgame with such a huge hobbying element.

I try to assemble one or two survivors that depict the respective armor set, because you'll always have the white lion character, the rawhide guy, the leather chick etc...
The parts for the other two survivors per armor kit I save for hopefully stylish conversions.

For me style is the most important aspect of the models.
A starting survivor just doesn't properly represent a dual sonic axe wielding, full dragon king set wearing warrior-queen.
I put a lot of thought into composition and positioning and might change the loadout on the miniature if it suits the pose better.

I'm also trying to represent our actual unique characters through the miniatures.
An example:
The long haired, bearded starting survivor is still alive in LT13 and his face is still on the most recent iteration of the character. (In the model wearing full lantern armor, because it suited his thunder hammer, while the actual character has just the +6 armor from the calcified DBK gear and lots of "other" stuff.)

(I think this approach would have been less attractive if the mortality in our campaign hadn't been so rididculously low so far.
We've gotten overly attached to the actual individuals, which is not in the spirit of the game, but we just were too lucky. Now the only thing that's really dangerous for our overpowered characters are hunt- and settlement events. It's actually not even funny anymore. I'm considering starting a new campaign to experience the actual game. Perfect slayer with frenzy, but still being allowed to use skills and survival, +3 speed = 18 potential wounds per action. That means level 3 showdowns take 1-2 rounds or about 10 minutes. Which is plain stupid if setup and settlement combined take you hours.)

That aside and assuming a more representative campaign, I'd
also try to capture a character that is memorable (even if short-lifed) for other reasons. The two-thumbed never-hitter, the mentally broken coward, the monster-ignoring scavenger, the miner, the herbalist...

Should I end up not using them again after their demise, I've still got a nice piece for the cabinet, that has meaning and attachment for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the armor kits, I just assembled the rawhide models so far as it seemed like what most of my dudes were wearing. I didn't glue on the arms; I inserted magnets inside the upper bodies and then attached a pin to each arm. This lets me swap the arms around and works fairly well, but I might glue on them on permanently later. Being able to see the correct weapon on each model is very helpful as it shows you at a glance what your tactical options are going to be.

I'm surprised people were willing to sell their armor kits. I'm tempted to get more of them just so I can assemble a nice variety of cool-looking models; maybe even build a
Spoiler (click to reveal)
full nine-person retinue model for the final battle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm slowly assembling builds my group frequently uses- for instance:
-rawhide + bone axe
-rawhide + bow
-leather + counterweighted axe
-lion + beast knuckles
-lion + twilight sword
-antelope + bludgeons
-minimal clothes + beacon shield (leyline)
-bone set(s)
-badass fist & toothin' it

plans for the future include
-antelope + reach
-lion + scrap katars
-flower sword + rawhide + beacon shield
-flower bow and, uh... IDK, stuff? I love that bow
-two flails, two hammers, at least two different shields, mostly as a joke since it's technically legal and probably kinda' good.

I'd highly recommend running through your first campaign with just the starting four and any monopose you might have, and start building once you're more familiar with the game. For instance, the rawhide + bow build was one we really heavily used the first campaign, but don't really any more, and there are lots where they might look fun but never get used.

My group is loosely WYSIWYG, where we try to match dominant armor type, weapons, and sex enough that it's easy to remember who's using which guy, but not very actively past that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Wells
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I've actually heard this question asked a lot, so I thought I'd share my experience.

While the Armor Kits were one of the things that sold me on the expense of the core game, I didn't want them FOR the game, but simply for my general mini making purposes. So far, my armor kits (Core and Expansion) are sitting in a box awaiting my miniature needs elsewhere.

For the actual game, we use the Starting 4, Intimacy, promos like Adam, Aya, Anna, Paul, and the Savior, and pin-ups like the Rawhide Dame, Phoenix Dancer, Savior, and Twilight Knight since they look fairly survivor-esque. The pool of survivors has given us enough player characters for our campaign so far (year 11).

When we get around to doing a Sun or Stars campaign, we'll obviously swap in those minis, along with some resin Warriors of the Sun and the plastic Dragon Sacrifice respectively.

The Armor kits, meanwhile, will likely end up fueling many years of Pathfinder RPG PCs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete S
msg tools
Quick question as I am very new to the game. I read a review saying that the models would be unassembled after leveling. Does that mean the minis are not glued together but instead snap? Or do you assemble and replace as desired with new models? Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will assemble everything, though no painting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mephguour wrote:
Quick question as I am very new to the game. I read a review saying that the models would be unassembled after leveling. Does that mean the minis are not glued together but instead snap? Or do you assemble and replace as desired with new models? Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

There's definitely no way to snap them together. The models are designed to be permanently assembled with glue.

Not sure what the review meant about unassembling them; perhaps they had all the parts magnetized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only assembled and painted the starting survivors. I'm considering whether to assemble the other survivors or sell them.

I'm thinking I may assemble some of the survivors supplied in the expansions, but if I do I'll only assemble the best male and the best female. I appreciate the work that has gone in to the minis, but I'm more interested in playing the game, not having a selection of characters to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.