Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower» Forums » Variants

Subject: Aspiring Heroes Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
So Silver Tower is all about the mightiest of heroes fighting through the tower to face off with the Gaunt Summoner. Even without any skills these heroes are already formidable opponents, who can often casually fight through hordes of minions with ease.

They're the guys at the gym pumping the heaviest weights, the gymnasts we see getting medals at the Olympics and the pulling off magic that would make Houdini look like an amateur.

But these heroes weren't always this mighty, and what about those who hear of these brave tales and feats who are then inspired to pursue the life of adventure themselves?

This is where our aspiring heroes come in. Whilst more often than not you'll find them in the tavern, and their guts are 10x larger than their biceps, they have the spirit and their first for adventure rivals their thirst for the local ale!

I am in the process of writing up some rules for these aspiring adventurers and I'd love to open this up ot the community for your input and feedback, creating a Silver Tower - Aspiring Adventurers Rules Set! AKA STAARS! - for that is what our adventurers wish to be!

So my initial thought is that we start with the heroes. We've already got a dozens of mighty characters to work backwards from, and I believe I've found a fairly universal way of adapting the existing character rules to represent characters of less experience and effectiveness, but twice the bravery!

You pick any of the heroes currently available in the ST app, and apply the following 'banes':

-1 action dice(the character permanently has 1 wound that can never be healed)

-1 save (a 5+ becomes a 4+, 6+ becomes no save)

-1 agility

Remove their top ability (eg, Darkoath Chieftain wouldn't have Charge, Excelsior Warpriest wouldn't have Sigmar's Boon)

Remove their bottom ability (eg,Darkoath Chieftain wouldn't have Deathblow, Excelsior Warpriest wouldn't have Command)

Their primary attack is at -1 to hit.

Their secondary attack is at -1 to hit. Attacks that would normally hit only on a 6 such as the Slaughter Priest's Blood Boil, instead do -1 damage. In the case of D3 damage, this becomes D2 damage.

Remove a trait keyword (eg, unrelenting, holy, chaotic, etc)

Remove a trait keyword (eg, unrelenting, holy, chaotic, etc)

What results is a basic character, that has slightly less wounds and actions each turn, doesn't hit as easily or as hard, and doesn't have the range of skills and experience that a mighty hero would have learnt form countless battles, but still retain elements of their characteristics. You are a Level 1 character.

Now, every time you complete a circuit on the renown, rather than gain the choice of two skills, you can remove one these banes.

When you hit levels 3, 6, 9 and 10 you also draw two skill cards and keep one.

Whenever you gain a level in which you would not draw and keep a skill card, you can draw a skill card and choose to swap it with an existing skill card. If you do the previous skill card is lost forever. This represent the characters honing their skills.

This way, you can go form level 1, to level 10, gaining skills, abilities, and overall generally improving your character as you progress. At level 10 you'd be a mighty hero with the base stats and rules as with the standard ST heroes but with 4 skills that have been honed over time.

Let me know what you all think, I've tried to keep the above universal so it can apply to all existing official character cards but do let me know if there's any problems or clashes.

What I also plan for the future is have rules for the amount/strength of creatures which spawn, have different 'end rooms' and quest for these characters - they wouldn't venture into the Silver Tower on their first trip out now would they! - and potentially some rules for travelling form dungeon to dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
This looks promising, keep it up!

My initial idea was to start everyone off as a basic adventurer with no abilities, and -1 in every stat like you have. All the existing heroic abilities and attacks are made into cards they can earn in prequel quests, before entering the silver tower. Also you can take abilities from any hero matching your trait keywords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Something you may want to consider ... and this is probably going to sound pretty "nerdy" here.

BUT, the Gaunt Summoner is the one that brings heroes into the Tower. He basically rips heroes from their space and time into the Tower so he can torture and test them. Heroes cannot simply stumble into the Tower or even try and find it. The only way in/out is at the will of the Gaunt Summoner.

When looking at his stats in the manual, there's a passage that alludes to this backstory that says the Gaunt Summoner is:

A deamon mage of terrible power, the Gaunt Summoner delights in tricks and torments. He dirties his hands in battle against only the worthiest foes.

Because of this, he'd never even consider pulling "aspiring heroes" into the Silver Tower.

More backstory exists in the Novella if anyone's interested.

Anyway ..... not trying to discourage your variant. Just wanted to give a bit of perspective into why the Heroes are pretty powerful and not some lvl1 newb progressing though your standard dungeon.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:

Because of this, he'd never even consider pulling "aspiring heroes" into the Silver Tower.

Agreed, but to me it is a bit sad we don't get to experience "our" hero's full story arc. I'd want to follow them from their lowly beginnings (killing grots/rats/bats) to their highest heights (killing dragons) instead of getting to know them when they are already troll/giant/demon/dragon slayers...
Still a great game and I'm looking forward to my first couple of sessions with it, but then I'll gladly try these aspiring heroes variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Personally id never want to follow the progression of a hero where hes killing bats and rats. Anyone can do that.

The world they are in, there are no "noob" weak heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:

A deamon mage of terrible power, the Gaunt Summoner delights in tricks and torments. He dirties his hands in battle against only the worthiest foes.

I was less thinking that these heroes would straight away enter the tower, and more thinking that they would do the traditional dungeons. It would only be at a set level, say level 5 that you'd be able to enter the tower for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Jaws wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:

I was less thinking that these heroes would straight away enter the tower, and more thinking that they would do the traditional dungeons. It would only be at a set level, say level 5 that you'd be able to enter the tower for example.

Remember that just because you don't get a 'Level' doesn't mean there is no progression.

RPG's have both skills based progression (e.g. Star Wars by West End Games), and level based progression (traditional DnD).

Level based means that you eventually 'out-level' your starting enemies, and probably started by killing mini-goblins and small spiders. Skills based gives you 'more tricks' to kill the enemy, but you don't get stuck in an escalation cycle. (Where you only get challenged by harder and harder opponents.) It's also easier to just add different kinds of enemies for variation, rather than just because you're killing everything with one blow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's definitely progression in the base game without the need for 'levels', I'm just using this terminology to simplify things.

Rather than saying at lvl3 you gain a skill, I could say the 3rd time you progress, completing a full circle you get a skill - which is a bit more wordy and less clear.

Edit

Actually, i think I've found a solution through scourn1's idea, original thread here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1587164/my-ideas-attempt-re...

This way there's no 'level' but characters follow paths as they go around the renown circle. It's a bit more work as you have to do it for each character, but I really like this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hassall
Australia
Balgownie
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Crazy Jaws wrote:

-1 save (a 5+ becomes a 4+, 6+ becomes no save)

Think you meant

-1 save (a 4+ becomes a 5+, 6+ becomes no save)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, my closest analogous experience to this- played a video game in a long series, and in one of them, they decided to strip the character of all their signature abilities which you could gain through whatever currency to basically simulate an RPG growth, and it took maybe 1/3 of the game to get to the point where you could do what you expected to be able to do.

This felt really lame- you don't want to start lame and get okay, you want to start okay, and get awesome.

If you want a sense of level progression, I'd go with additions (better heroes, harder baddies, grander sense of progress) than subtractions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.