Subject: St Philip's Cathedral rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Young
England
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... did anybody manage to prise one of these out of the hands of the watchful guardian(s) at Board Game Extras?

If you have a spare or you were handed one and don't own or know anybody who owns B2C, I'd be grateful for it and will pay postage. I asked nicely but was told I must buy a Stonemaier product even though I already own most of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we run our campaign for the Between Two Cities expansion, we'll include an add-on option for all of the promo tokens we've made so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jameystegmaier wrote:
When we run our campaign for the Between Two Cities expansion, we'll include an add-on option for all of the promo tokens we've made so far.
That's great news. I managed to get most of them but it is nigh impossible to get to every convention to collect 'em all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Radcliffe
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jamey, you asked that I posted the following query here;

With hind-sight, do you think it was a good idea to tell people that had bought Between Two Cities, to look for the promo at the UKGamesExpo, and for them to be told that they could only have the promo if they bought another game from you, or pre-ordered a new game?

I wanted to look at Scythe, and may well have placed a pre-order, but when I heard that I ‘had to’ order or buy for the promo, I happily walked away from the demo and stand in question.

Promos should promote the game, and the company. Not make them look cheap and grasping. Nice idea, but very poor execution in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your question. There's a lot going on in your first paragraph that I need to clarify. Let's break it down:

"do you think it was a good idea to tell people that had bought Between Two Cities, to look for the promo at the UKGamesExpo"

Here's what I actually said in our June e-newsletter:

"We also made a batch of special promo tokens for Between Two Cities, so if you're in the area of booth C20, feel free to check them out!" The statement wasn't directed at people who had bought Between Two Cities. It sounds like you felt like you were entitled to a free promo token, but I'm not sure how you got that impression.

"for them to be told that they could only have the promo if they bought another game from you, or pre-ordered a new game"

My role was to make some promo tokens to support Board Game Extras, who has been a great partner for us. I didn't dictate the rules for how they would be given out, though the intent was to help Board Game Extras have a successful expo. They used the promos as a way to encourage their sales—the purpose of the promos wasn’t a free gift to people who bought a game from me a year ago.

As I note on this thread, when we accept pre-orders for the Between Two Cities expansion, I will serve backers like you by offering ALL of the promos we’ve made as a special add-on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Radcliffe
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmb
Firstly, thanks for a comprehensive answer.

I think I may have assumed too much from the newsletter (from what you're saying here), but also that it may have been worded better.

I've been a customer of Boardgame Extras, on many occasions, and will be again, but was made to feel like a bit of 'con artist' for asking about the promos on this occasion. Not so badly that I would refuse to buy any of your games again (that would be silly), or so badly that I would not use BGE again (service really is fantastic normally), but more embarrassed. If I'd have been made aware prior to asking, I'd have not asked and saved the embarrassment.

I think the fact that a US company had done something for the UK market directly (we normally read about the US shows with envy) was fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I could have phrased it better. I just didn't want to lock in Board Game Extras to whatever they decided to do with the tokens, which could vary from day to day at the convention. That's why it was vague.

I'm still learning about how to use promo tokens effectively, as so far it seems like they lead to more disappointment than joy. That's unfortunate. So I either need to figure out a better way to do it or stop making promo content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting discussion.

I think it's fine to dictate the usage of the promo's you offer. Unless they are purchased by a retailer. Then I feel they have the right to do whatever they want with it.

Promo's really should promote and not be incentives. I think by offering promo's in the future will appease people.

I think if enough promo's are allotted and the publisher encourages them to be freely handed out it could result in scalpers going to a booth and reselling them in the aftermarket. So it really does require a unique solution in my mind.

For promos what's the best methods for delivery?
If supply is high enough then I'd imagine scalpers are nixed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't sleep so I'm thinking about this more.

Customer first focus I need think is still satisfied as long as supply exceeds demand for promos and they are available easily. They should promote your games and company.

Other question, what is the purpose of a promo in yiur mind Jamey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Radcliffe
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmb
jwspiker wrote:
I can't sleep so I'm thinking about this more.

Customer first focus I need think is still satisfied as long as supply exceeds demand for promos and they are available easily. They should promote your games and company.

Other question, what is the purpose of a promo in yiur mind Jamey?

I think the availability is addressed well by Jamey. He's said that he intends to make the promos available in a future Kickstarter, and that will give everyone a chance to 'catch-up' with any missed opportunities to pick up a promo from geographically difficult areas.

I'm always interested in promos, but never sell any that I can't use. When I've been given promos in the past, and find that I can't use them, I put them up for trade, giving other members a chance to gain promos they may not have been lucky enough to pick-up, and giving me the opportunity to get a promo that I've been unable to locate myself. This is just as true for 'paid for' promos (like the Brettspiel Easter Basket 2016 promos) or mini-expansions offered for games, like Snowdonia: Seasons.

Scalpers are always likely to be an issue for any item that costs little, or is free, but it would be a shame if 'real' fans missed out because of them. Jamey's approach seems like an equitable compromise imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason: I don't think I have a universal answer to your question about the purpose of promos, at least not in the way that we've used them. For example, the purpose of the UK Expo promos was to support Board Game Extras. The purpose of the Geekway promos was to encourage people to try Between Two Cities in the play and win. The purpose of the promos in the Japanese version of Between Two Cities is to create a localized feel for that specific version of the game. And so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
England
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

My role was to make some promo tokens to support Board Game Extras, who has been a great partner for us. I didn't dictate the rules for how they would be given out, though the intent was to help Board Game Extras have a successful expo. They used the promos as a way to encourage their sales—the purpose of the promos wasn’t a free gift to people who bought a game from me a year ago.

Firstly, I agree with the points raised, and although disappointed that I couldn't get hold of the promo understood the reason. That's fine.

However, I think there may have been some slight confusion, as the man on the BGE stand told me that Stonemaier had said they were only to be handed out when somebody buys a Stonemaier product from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking through my e-mails with BGE leading up to the expo, I said, "I’m comfortable with whatever you want to do," and they said, "I will keep it to those who buy one of your items there and then (and have a minimum spend of £10 on the realistic resource tokens to earn a Cathedral set)" and I said that was fine. I was open to anything they wanted to do, though it seems like maybe I could have been clearer that the tokens were there to benefit BGE (and hopefully sell some copies of Between Two Cities), not necessarily to limit the tokens to customers who bought Stonemaier products from BGE at the expo.

Please, if anything, don't hold it against BGE. They're great folks, and my communication with them should have been clearer. I take responsibility for any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls