United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for some advice here.
We've recently reached a plateau in our club so I am looking for some new games to inject some new energy into the club. The last games I introduced were Tikal, Settlers, Memior '44 and A Game of Thrones. I was thinking about adding Arkham Horror, but wanted to seek some ideas since I am primarily a wargamer. Any ideas/thoughts/advice would be most welcome.
Regards,
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Hager
United States
Tumwater
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is a good choice for many advanced gaming clubs. It is a deep game that benefits from a knowledge of the Cthulhu Mythos, but isn't required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may need to concider that you may offend someone's parent with the theme. Although, you are the best to decide the climate of your school.

BUT, it's probably to long of a game for a 'after school' type thing and the first play can be a bit daunting.

What about introducing a bidding game, like Vegas Showdown or Aladin's Dragons?

Or look into some economic games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian F.
United States
Springville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is a fun game, but I would be hesitant to play Arkham Horror with that age... It can be long and it gets a little fiddly with all the cards and counters. Plus the theme might be disagreeable to some overprotective parents. I picture kids coming home telling their parents about battling cultists and demonic creatures from other dimensions and some over protective parents getting concerned. I remember when I was in middle school and played D&D with some friends, whose parents made them stop because of the theme....

I'd recommend Torres, El Grande, Tigris & Euphrates, and Attika. My wargame friends enjoyed those. They all have fairly simple rules, but have a competitive slightly wargamish feel to them because of the conflict and mechanics involved... I imagine kids of that age would really like Nexus Ops too, with the neon giant bug armies... (plus it is really cheap to buy right now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the game, can't recommend it for your suggested use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't mention what kind of time window the club has. From the games you already mentioned, it couldn't possibly be just during the lunch break. How much time do they have to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
ositobrian wrote:
Arkham Horror is a fun game, but I would be hesitant to play Arkham Horror with that age... It can be long

Not longer than A Game of Thrones, though, surely?

As for theme, the kind of parent who would protest the theme even if it were clear their kid knew it was only a game probably wouldn't be letting their kid attend a game club in the first place. It would interfere with the daily four hour Jesus session.

Quote:
I imagine kids of that age would really like Nexus Ops too, with the neon giant bug armies... (plus it is really cheap to buy right now).

I'm starting to get really resentful of Americans saying things like this. Not everyone can get games that cheaply. If I wanted to get Nexus Ops (and I do), I'd have to pay 36UKP including my 10% regular customer discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is that I would have loved Arkham Horror in middle school, but I was also a kid with interests in that kind of genre. It entirely depends on the kids' interests, attention span, etc if its right for your club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Love the game, can't recommend it for your suggested use.

I agree

why dont you get them battlelore or marvel heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
ositobrian wrote:
Arkham Horror is a fun game, but I would be hesitant to play Arkham Horror with that age... It can be long

Not longer than A Game of Thrones, though, surely?

As for theme, the kind of parent who would protest the theme even if it were clear their kid knew it was only a game probably wouldn't be letting their kid attend a game club in the first place. It would interfere with the daily four hour Jesus session.

Quote:
I imagine kids of that age would really like Nexus Ops too, with the neon giant bug armies... (plus it is really cheap to buy right now).

I'm starting to get really resentful of Americans saying things like this. Not everyone can get games that cheaply. If I wanted to get Nexus Ops (and I do), I'd have to pay 36UKP including my 10% regular customer discount.

If you ask, I'd bet there are people on the geek who'd be happy to pick up a cheap copy and ship it to you for some GG. I imagine some arrangement could be made

On topic -- something like Power Grid might be interesting. It is challenging, fun and gives your math skills a good workout!
Cheers,
Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
In a public (or private) school, I think I'd stick with something much, much safer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.