Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play games on-line because working with computers is a job for me and I prefer not to do it for my leisure as well. But I am thinking of changing jobs... so does anyone know of an on-line games site that is looking for a developer? I speak Java and Python better than I speak English, and I'd like to learn other languages except Perl :-). Thanks for any tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am definitely looking for developers. I have a growing list of licensed games that need to be adapted for play-by-web at Ludoholic. If interested, go here: http://www.ludoholic.com/wiki/index.php/Developers

And feel free to ask me any questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: are there any on-line games sites looking for developers
BugLaden wrote:
I am definitely looking for developers. I have a growing list of licensed games that need to be adapted for play-by-web at Ludoholic. If interested, go here: http://www.ludoholic.com/wiki/index.php/Developers

And feel free to ask me any questions.

15% royalties from what? I couldn't find on your site where the money is coming from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bass
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an interesting idea and something good to do as a side job to make some extra cash (where ever that cash comes from). I have been thinking about trying to implement a boardgame for the web, but doing it for money would be nicer. However, no Java... Php is ok but Pascal/VBScript... that's a bit scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:

15% royalties from what? I couldn't find on your site where the money is coming from.

My thought exactly. While I'm all in favor of developing games,
unless someone is offering cash in predefined chunks, figure that
you're working for free and you'll be almost right. Even the
.com boom never trickled down to game developers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:

Ludoholic will become a pay site sometime in early or mid 2008. Royalties to developers will be based on play of the game(s) they develop and maintain.

tbass77 wrote:
... Php is ok but Pascal/VBScript... that's a bit scary.

You would have to know PHP to develop play-by-web games. Pascal/VBScript knowledge would be needed if you wanted to develop for my real-time engine.

I constantly have naysayers whisper in my ear that there's no money in this industry. We'll see. I've been doing this in one form or another since 2001. I understand this industry I think more than anymore. At the very least, I'm a patient man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, I was not trying to say that you can't make money from this. I was just looking for more information about how you planned to do it.

For any developers who are planning to put significant time into this, make sure that your royalties are clearly spelled out in your contract and that they will be transferred if the company is sold.

It sounds like fun, and if I wasn't already overloaded with projects I'd consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.