Sven Folkesson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I got these right, but just sanity checking with the online hive-mind (or the designer )

1. You cannot do non-supporting fire on a hex that is subject to a Combat in the Combat Phase. But you can on a hex that's subject to an Assault in the Action phase. Right?

2. The term "Leg units" is not defined in the glossary but is used in some instances in the rules. We've treated it as "infantry" (as defined in the glossary, i.e. excluding heavy weapons and so on), correct?

3. FF against retreating units: if a retreating unit is targeted with FF in the last hex of its retreat movement, it still must take the step reductions although it has no more movement, yes? (In other words, it still makes sense to target retreating units in its last hex of movement, as opposed to non-retreating units.)

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. You cannot do non-supporting fire on a hex that is subject to a Combat in the Combat Phase. But you can on a hex that's subject to an Assault in the Action phase. Right?

You can do it in either phase, actually. Per the Sequence of Play, Combat Phase: "Perform a Ranged Attack (10.0)—supporting, nonsupporting, as part of the ARC (11.5), or FF (against a stack conducting a Retreat; 10.7)."

Quote:
2. The term "Leg units" is not defined in the glossary but is used in some instances in the rules. We've treated it as "infantry" (as defined in the glossary, i.e. excluding heavy weapons and so on), correct?

Leg units are just units that use leg movement. Leg movement is defined on page 5, both in the graphic at left and in the text in the right-hand column. To summarize: Units with a Movement Allowance that appears in neither a yellow box nor an orange circle use leg movement. This will include pretty much all infantry, plus all heavy weapons units that are not self-propelled.

Quote:
3. FF against retreating units: if a retreating unit is targeted with FF in the last hex of its retreat movement, it still must take the step reductions although it has no more movement, yes? (In other words, it still makes sense to target retreating units in its last hex of movement, as opposed to non-retreating units.)

That is correct. And recall that retreating units cannot choose to halt in response to FF, even if they have retreat hexes left; they must take step reductions.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Folkesson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch, Mark!

duckweed wrote:
Quote:

You can do it in either phase, actually. Per the Sequence of Play, Combat Phase: "Perform a Ranged Attack (10.0)—supporting, nonsupporting, as part of the ARC (11.5), or FF (against a stack conducting a Retreat; 10.7)."

I see! But then I fail to see the purpose of a supporting ranged attack? Isn't it only less beneficial for the phasing player as he limits his flexibility as per the procedure (having to allocate all supporting ranged attacks before the non-phasing player allocates defensive support)?

duckweed wrote:
Quote:

Leg units are just units that use leg movement. Leg movement is defined on page 5, both in the graphic at left and in the text in the right-hand column. To summarize: Units with a Movement Allowance that appears in neither a yellow box nor an orange circle use leg movement. This will include pretty much all infantry, plus all heavy weapons units that are not self-propelled.

Yes, of course! It's the leg/wheeled/tracked concepts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I see! But then I fail to see the purpose of a supporting ranged attack? Isn't it only less beneficial for the phasing player as he limits his flexibility as per the procedure (having to allocate all supporting ranged attacks before the non-phasing player allocates defensive support)?

As the phasing player, you don't have a choice. If you will perform a Combat against a hex that is the target of your Ranged Attack later in the same phase, then any Ranged Attack is, by definition, a supporting Ranged Attack. Note that you have to declare both the Combat and any Ranged Attacks against the hex upfront, and then you must follow through with them--even if that means wasting a Ranged Attack that wasn't needed, or declaring a Combat at very poor final odds. You can't do a bunch of non-supporting Ranged Attacks and then decide whether or not to do the Combat depending on the results of the fire.

This does indeed limit flexibility, and it's intentional. If you declare a non-supporting Ranged Attack against a hex, you aren't allowed to declare a Combat against that same hex later in the same phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Folkesson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, that's what I thought! Your initial response threw me off.

I have another one. Regarding the movement trigger for the ARC. This works like opportunity fire usually does in most other games in terms of in which hex it can be triggered, i.e. in the hex where movement ends not in the hex where it originates, right? (As opposed to FF which can be triggered in both hexes.)

F.ex. if an AFV moves from hex A to hex B, an enemy unit can only fire at it in the ARC in hex B? This is relevant if the AFV started its movement in hex A and the enemy only has LOS to hex A (or for other reasons can only target it in hex A).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Reaction Fire is always upon entering the new hex.

You're the second person to ask me about this. After the first time, I thought it might be confusing to others as well, so I added a clarification about it to the errata doc. Have a peek...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Folkesson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, would probably not have thought it could have been any other way had it not been for the FF rules.

Will check the errata!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.