Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Okay, most Catan historians know that the game originally consisted of some kind of conglomeration of Settlers/Seafarers/Domaine (or Löwenherz)/Die Entdecker, and that Kosmos basically told Teuber, "That's too complicated, even for us."

What I want to know is, has anyone ever tried to play Catan the way Klaus originally envisioned it? I know a turn would probably last about 20-30 minutes, but I'd still be interested to see what it might be like.

While it may not be workable as a single game, maybe playing them back to back with special setups would work: As I understand it, the first portion would be Die Entdecker to find the islands, the second portion would be Seafarers with islands approximating the size and shape of those in Entdecker, and Domaine... Okay, I have no idea what special setup would be used in Domaine.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Boyd
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Re:Catan Megagame
Thedalek (#22500),
As I understand it, Tueber was thinking of three linked games, Siedler, Entdecker, and Lowenherz. Siedler itself was Siedler plus Seefahrer. That was what was split into two pieces by Kosmos. Stadt & Ritter came later. The links between Lowenherz, Seidler, and Entdecker, were thematic, not actual game-mechanical as in, say, the GIPF Project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.