Subject: Plastic Token Pack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Swanson
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
For anyone who picked up the Plastic Token pack from the KS, I really like the tokens except for one thing.

On the objective tokens, the "red X" on the opposite side of the "green/blue X" tokens is SO MUCH darker than the "red X" on the rest of the tokens. It makes it REALLY easy to tell which are the primary objectives which effectively makes them unusable as intended.

Do I just have a defective set? Or did anyone else's copy have this issue?

Thanks for the input!
Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are the same shade of red, but due to the pattern of the fake cracking, it's no great feat to identify the green one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dafrca
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How sad, I loved the idea of using them. Guess it is back to paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lame. I bought the tokens because the minor edge whitening (from punching) on each chit is unique, making it hard not to look at/recognise the objectives. That and the 3D walls of course .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Swanson
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Dang it! I was hoping it was just me so that I could just ask for a replacement, but I'm guessing this is probably an issue with many of the sets. I think they tried to be "too fancy" with the fake cracking at the cost of game usability.

So disappointed this was missed during quality control, especially with how impressed I am with the rest of the KS offerings...

Thanks for the input everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are somewhat in the same boat. The paint on the red sides are not consistent, so people could definitely pick them out if they tried. I am going to not mention it to any of my group. I think if I don't bring it up, they might not notice and we can just have fun without worrying about it. Maybe I should have ordered more treasure chests from Masmorra to cover them up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean

Washington
msg tools
This is indeed disappointing, if they all turned out this way. Think an extra coat of dark red paint over all the red Xs would fix it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it feels any better, the cardboard tokens I have in my base game are a different color by a shade on the back. You can tell them apart if you look closely. I have not told the group. Neither that they are a different shade nor that the green and blue are the ones that are off. So far I think it's unnoticed.

It sucks that I know the difference but because of that I don't force lead the group. I've thought about the plastic token pack and wondered if that would solve the issue. I'm sorry the problem exists there but glad I didn't buy in anyway. I may have to apply printed stickers over the backs of the tokens though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn. This is the first really disappointing news for me. Seems nearly every game that uses a "hidden" token mechanic is relatively easy to spot due to the irregularities in the paper of a punched chit. This was a big reason for my splurge on the plastic token pack. And it sounds like the fancy design also means even a quick coat of paint won't do the trick (unless you want to paint over the whole back with one shade). Bummer. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
A way to solve the problem is to place the tokens in a mug.
You place coins or any other type of marker on the zones of the map where the tokens should be set up.
When you pick up a coin, draw randomly a token from the map.
The probabilities are the same.
This even can work when you don't have tokens where you notice a difference of colour, because when you mix 4-6 tokens and place them on the map, it can be difficult not to have some memory of which is which. Or at leasr, you are sure that no accident during play would reveal the hidden side of a token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
Lame. I bought the tokens because the minor edge whitening (from punching) on each chit is unique, making it hard not to look at/recognise the objectives.

A black sharpie solved that particular problem for us.

Can anyone spot a difference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morcars Jester wrote:
Geoff wrote:
Lame. I bought the tokens because the minor edge whitening (from punching) on each chit is unique, making it hard not to look at/recognise the objectives.

Yup. There is a prominent bit of upward black fluff on the back corner of the center one near the front/right. cool

Point well taken, though. I keep a multicolor pack of Sharpies near my game table for this very reason. (Heck, I used it just last night while punching a new game!) Picked them up because my quest tokens for Mistfall ripped due to the paper on one side not being properly glued down. To get paper tokens really unobtrusive requires trimming and coloring, IMHO. Not exactly my favorite part of gaming.

I do like the coin idea, but I'm already considering that for NPC spawning. Guess Z:BP may turn into a game of cups as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
There is a prominent bit of upward black fluff on the back corner of the center one near the front/right.

A chainsaw will soon sort that out. Or if you have the swordsmaster skill, two chainsaws. Or am I in the wrong century?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean

Washington
msg tools
Morcars Jester wrote:
Geoff wrote:

Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
SmogLord wrote:
This is indeed disappointing, if they all turned out this way. Think an extra coat of dark red paint over all the red Xs would fix it?

With a steady hand it would probably work. Using finger nail polish might give a longer lasting smoother coat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert green
msg tools
My set of tokens did not have this problem. So it must not be all of the token packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
Mine are the same shade of red, but due to the pattern of the fake cracking, it's no great feat to identify the green one.

Same here. I'm thinking of asking CMoN for a new double red token and painting the one side green and leaving the super cracked token in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got mine yesterday, this was one of the first things that I looked at, like many here I was very excited for the plastic token set. Mine are great, exact same cracking pattern, exact same shade of red. I can't see the differences between them. So it definitely doens't affect all the sets, just apparently most of them... Sorry fellas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dafrca
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So now not only am I waiting for my Wave 2 to arrive so I can play, I am waiting to see if I win the Plastic Token Lotto or not. laugh

Man this KS has been quite the fun journey so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are such that you'd really have to look to see it, but it is there.

It is more prominent on the red back of one of the colored necromancer spawn point tokens, but I don't think those are hidden in any of the scenarios I've played so far.

That being said, the colors and quality make these really sharp. They look head and shoulders better than the cardboard tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the plastic tokens are nice, but if you look closely, you can differentiate them.

Has anyone contacted CMON, yet, about this issue, and whether they are willing and capable of replacing them with a set that does not have this problem?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine look like this, hard to photograph the color differences since they are shiny.
http://imgur.com/a/NgQie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean

Washington
msg tools
Any painters out there want to give me some advice on how to fix them? Sharpie, nail polish, model paint have all been suggested. What is best/easiest? Don't have them yet so I've got plenty of time to think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike B Canada wrote:
Mine look like this, hard to photograph the color differences since they are shiny.
http://imgur.com/a/NgQie

Wow. That green one is....horrible. Why the hell did they get fancy with something meant to be hidden? It boggles the mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aron craig
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
Wow. That green one is....horrible. Why the hell did they get fancy with something meant to be hidden? It boggles the mind.

I've not seen them in person but from the pics there it looks like they all have the same texture in the plastic. I would guess they had a very slightly different viscosity on the paint batch when going that green one and it resulted in less fill on cracks. Just a guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.