Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Zee

As a late pledgeer for zpoc2 I cannot post on the KS and it seems there isn't a Form on the Greenbrier website. All in for previous KS campaigns.

It would be great if they posted the new rules for comment before they are set in stone. I am happy to feedback and comment as previously.

At UK games expo 2016 assisted a new purchaser get to grips with the game and we had a great time.

It reminbded me what a hidden gem this game is and how poor the original rules are especially for reference, they are almost all there but not in a logical format. Luckily I had the new digital rules with me.

The only issue I see with the current rules are around health and zombie attacks.

Health represents energy and non infected damage, so as zombies attack and you are irradiated etc it drops. Each double Z is rolled kill's and turns a survivor , its what happens next that doesn't work for me.

You have already ruduced health from the attack , yet the rules want you to subtract the health for the killed survivor even the esoteric order of gamers play guide states you recalculate ALL your stats.

I think you should just recalculate all your stats except health as you have lost health for the attack already. Recalculating hit points means you have somehow miraculously recovered from biohazard and radiation because someone was bitten.

New Rules wrote:

Be sure to recalculate your squad’s Hit Points, Armor, Smarts and
Movement. Finally, tally the result of damage, ignoring the double
results.

On Death’s Door: If your Squad’s total Hit Points are below 10 and
attacking zombies roll double , instead of subtracting a Survivor’s
total Hit Points from your squad, reduce your total Hit Points by 2.
However, still subtract their Armor and adjust your Move and Smarts if
necessary.

A double hit and conflicting rules the second paragraph states you rsubtract the killed survivors hit points the first you recalculate them. Doing both is a double hit and doing either seems wrong.

I will play and did yesterday that you recalculate all except the Health.

Suggested house rule.

1. When bitten the 12 health 2 x Z is not subtracted from your total health only the other die are and must be a minimum of the hit point level of killed survivor minus his/her armour.

2. When a zombie first moves over a sandbag or a double zombie approaches a door/gate turn It to face away to show it has stopped, for Gates and doors single zombies move around.

Next turn move those first (I always move Zombies closest any way so not to much of an issue) for Sandbags turn to face movement and continue their move, a following zombies will of course stop so turn them away from the sandbag.

For the double zombies against the door or gate, remove the door or gate but dont turn the zombie, the following turn it will turn and move.Not really a house rule just a good way of making sure the rules are followed and keeping track of a busy game area.

3. Zombies destroying a Door or Gate get trampled over so the following zombies move over them and then they move. In effect the zombies are slowed by one square.

4. First player at day start is one with the most VP- taking lead and generating most attention. Thematically good and you can always let someone else take point by slowing down which saves resources and possible end game VP.

5.Combat phase decide player border if no agreement then first highest VP, then rest follow same mechanism conflicts decided by VP , draws overiden by previous player to move or random.

6.If you have used your free action and are taking a shoot/attack action each survivor that doesn't attack can take a free action.

Commonly overlooked rules:-

1.Sandbags slow the hoard and are not removed , sandbags are your friend. Use them to channel zombies.

2.All zombie attack dice count for hit points not just 5 & Z.

3. You can bare handed attack with a success on Z only.

4. Only one free action per player turn.

This game is still a hidden gem and hopefully the new rules and exposure will help recognise this.

Edited to correct error on sandbags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
@Zee

As a late pledgeer for zpoc2 I cannot post on the KS and it seems there isn't a Form on the Greenbrier website. All in for previous KS campaigns.

It would be great if they posted the new rules for comment before they are set in stone. I am happy to feedback and comment as previously.

At UK games expo 2016 assisted a new purchaser get to grips with the game and we had a great time.

It reminbded me what a hidden gem this game is and how poor the original rules are especially for reference, they are almost all there but not in a logical format. Luckily I had the new digital rules with me.

The only issue I see with the current rules are around health and zombie attacks.

Health represents energy and non infected damage, so as zombies attack and you are irradiated etc it drops. Each double Z is rolled kill's and turns a survivor , its what happens next that doesn't work for me.

You have already ruduced health from the attack , yet the rules want you to subtract the health for the killed survivor even the esoteric order of gamers play guide states you recalculate ALL your stats.

I think you should just recalculate all your stats except health as you have lost health for the attack already. Recalculating hit points means you have somehow miraculously recovered from biohazard and radiation because someone was bitten.

New Rules wrote:

results.

necessary.

A double hit and conflicting rules the second paragraph states you rsubtract the killed survivors hit points the first you recalculate them. Doing both is a double hit and doing either seems wrong.

Suggested house rule.

1. When bitten the 12 health 2 x Z is not subtracted from your total health only the other die are and must be a minimum of the hit point level of killed survivor minus his/her armour.

2. When a zombie first moves over a sandbag or a double zombie approaches a door/gate turn It to face away to show it has stopped, for Gates and doors single zombies move around.

Next turn move those first (I always move Zombies closest any way so not to much of an issue) for Sandbags turn to face movement and continue their move, a following zombies will of course stop so turn them away from the sandbag.

For the double zombies against the door or gate, remove the door or gate but dont turn the zombie, the following turn it will turn and move.Not really a house rule just a good way of making sure the rules are followed and keeping track of a busy game area.

3. Zombies destroying a Door or Gate get trampled over so the following zombies move over them and then they move. In effect the zombies are slowed by one square.

4. First player at day start is one with the most VP- taking lead and generating most attention. Thematically good and you can always let someone else take point by slowing down which saves resources and possible end game VP.

5.Combat phase decide player border if no agreement then first highest VP, then rest follow same mechanism conflicts decided by VP , draws overiden by previous player to move or random.

6.If you have used your free action and are taking a shoot/attack action each survivor that doesn't attack can take a free action.

1.Sandbags slow the hoard and are not removed , sandbags are your friend. Use them to channel zombies.

This game is still a hidden gem and hopefully the new rules and exposure will help recognise this.

Hi Jerry,

yeah, most of this is mute in the Zpocalypse 2 ruleset. For starters the new squad board tracks health independently for each survivor. Defenses are still pooled, but now go down as you take damage(they recharge after the fight). Skills are on cards now as well as starting skills for each survivor card. Combat, which I don't want to comment on until we post a public version of the rules(I'm estimating a month out form this post) is handled quit differently now(quicker play, more meaningful decisions, and crit cards...o man the crit cards(these replace the old bite mechanics and can result in broken bones, mental anguish, bad mutations and of course the classic bite and your dead)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zeeparkes wrote:
Starman54 wrote:
@Zee

New Rules wrote:

results.

necessary.

Suggested house rule.

Hi Jerry,

yeah, most of this is mute in the Zpocalypse 2 ruleset. For starters the new squad board tracks health independently for each survivor. Defenses are still pooled, but now go down as you take damage(they recharge after the fight). Skills are on cards now as well as starting skills for each survivor card. Combat, which I don't want to comment on until we post a public version of the rules(I'm estimating a month out form this post) is handled quit differently now(quicker play, more meaningful decisions, and crit cards...o man the crit cards(these replace the old bite mechanics and can result in broken bones, mental anguish, bad mutations and of course the classic bite and your dead)

That may be true but the wave 1 being shipped now is Classic Zpocalypse and Zpocalypse 2 is not being shipped for quite sometime. so this will help all those receiving wave 1.

will wave 1 come with the originl or 2nd edition rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.