Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew it. Congratulations! thumbsup

I should spent more holidays over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riboAWEsome wrote:
What we all already knew is confirmed again:

Good Country Index

The photo on that page is interesting. A crowd of smiling faces surrounding... Hitler?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another crap article from another really crap UK media web site. "Goodest" wtf... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vycichl
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rankings of coutries by happiness index does not mean anything. Of course , it is certainly better to live in Sweden or in Monaco than in North Korea or Afghanistan today.

People in the "happiest" countries have often among the highest suicide rates. Here all Nordic countries are in a very poor position. Sweden ranks 36th (WHO) or 58th in the world countries suicide rates (out of approx. 220 countries).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_r...

Another interesting ranking of Forbes about the tax misery index (of course, misery is not limited to taxes), France and Belgium plus all Nordic countries, including Sweden, are the worst here:

http://www.forbes.com/global/2008/0407/060.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't going to touch this with a forty foot pole, as it's RSP-bound any second, but...

Read the Independent article. "Happiness" isn't the only measure - it also includes levels of prosperity, equality and health. Pointing to the high suicide rate is a bit of a red herring in this context - many other factors might come into play, such as levels of physical isolation (it's a big country with a sparse population), lack/excess of daylight, levels of alcohol consumption, levels of genetic predisposition towards depression and/or other mental health issues, and so forth - none of which, as far as I know, is a direct consequence of social democratic policies.

As for "Tax Misery", well, I'm sure many rich folks and multi-nationals don't like high tax bills, but if it provides the physical, social and cultural infrastructure of a functioning, decent, meritocratic society like Sweden, then I say screw 'em, and screw the banks and countries that help them keep and hide their loot. And yes, I include the City of London and British controlled tax havens in that.

"Goodest" is a crap and clumsy term, though. (Edit:spelling)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anemaat wrote:

Thanks for the GG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
And then there's Libya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
Another crap article from another really crap UK media web site. "Goodest" wtf... shake

piotrveliki wrote:
The rankings of coutries by happiness index does not mean anything. Of course , it is certainly better to live in Sweden or in Monaco than in North Korea or Afghanistan today.

People in the "happiest" countries have often among the highest suicide rates. Here all Nordic countries are in a very poor position. Sweden ranks 36th (WHO) or 58th in the world countries suicide rates (out of approx. 220 countries).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_r...

Another interesting ranking of Forbes about the tax misery index (of course, misery is not limited to taxes), France and Belgium plus all Nordic countries, including Sweden, are the worst here:

http://www.forbes.com/global/2008/0407/060.html

Your tears are delicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward Sexby wrote:
I wasn't going to touch this with a forty foot pole, as it's RSP-bound any second, but...

Read the Independent article. "Happiness" isn't the only measure - it also includes levels of prosperity, equality and health. Pointing to the high suicide rate is a bit of a red herring in this context - many other factors might come into play, such as levels of physical isolation (it's a big country with a sparse population), lack/excess of daylight, levels of alcohol consumption, levels of genetic predisposition towards depression and/or other mental health issues, and so forth - none of which, as far as I know, is a direct consequence of social democratic policies.

As for "Tax Misery", well, I'm sure many rich folks and multi-nationals don't like high tax bills, but if it provides the physical, social and cultural infrastructure of a functioning, decent, meritocratic society like Sweden, then I say screw 'em, and screw the banks and countries that help them keep and hide their loot. And yes, I include the City of London and British controlled tax havens in that.

Clearly the "goodest" post in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
riboAWEsome wrote:
anemaat wrote:

Thanks for the GG!

I mistakenly clicked, but the keep the fakemoney anyway. I not much attached to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germany among the top ten? Seriously?
Welcome to your dreams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:

Says the guy living in a penal colony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
America! F-Yeah!

Oh man do I wish I had a passport.

*sigh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Well it stands to reason that the places with the highest suicide rates are going to be happiest - all the unhappy people have killed themselves already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Suicide levels in Sweden is about the same level as the US today and below the OECD average.

One reason why it's high in Sweden (and the Nordic countries in general) is that we are better at classifying suicides. Many countries historically tried to "hide" suicides for some reason or other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Sweden
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I get how the U.S. is crap in Culture. But how is it 20th in Technology and Science? How are they measuring this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. It's all "relative to the size of the economy". Bah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vycichl
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward Sexby wrote:

When I read that there high taxes enable good infrastructure and meritocracy, I think that we are on April fools' day. This maybe applies in another planet abut not on earth.

If you want a meritocracy, you will find it in Silicon Valley or in Singapore, not in Western Europe. Western Europe is in economic collapse with their high taxes and social benefits. One of the causes of the fall of the Roman Empire and Byzantine Empire was their high taxation and the "panem et circenses" for Rome.

Countries with moderate taxes outperform countries with high taxes.

High taxes of companies are incorporated in the prices of products and services and everything costs more, with higher prices plus high personal taxes people spend therefore less and the economy slows down.

High taxes also push companies to move jobs and production to other countries creating joblessness and less growth.

Salary are also pushed down because companies need to save money to pay taxes. People get less money. With high personal taxes, they get lazy (why make efforts?), lose work ethics, and are less motivated to work hard and to grow and develop new businesses and new ideas, often they have to move to another more business friendlier country for this.

Skilled immigrants go to Silicon Valley, Singapore, or Hong Kong, unskilled immigrants go to countries with high taxation for their seemingly good social benefits (like France), where they become additional burden (until there is no more money to pay for it).

More taxes mean also more money for the government, with lavish und and unnecessary spending more bureaucrats and people hired by the state doing unproductive work instead of useful work in the private sector. High taxes means that the government decides more what is good for you with your money and less freedom of choice. High taxes lead to more waste in government spending government corruption and politicians giving well paid unproductive jobs to their friends (note the Nordic countries are a model of governance and have little corruption so this part here applies less there).

High taxes lead to poverty which causes an additional drain on the budgets of government social programs. Then more and more persons are on welfare This means that each poor person can't get enough to live on. Some people, unable to find jobs because government overtaxed the economy, turn to crime to get the money needed. This causes the crime rate to go up.

No country with high taxes has had good term sustained economic growth, so they are more and more people staying poor instead of earning money thanks to a higher growth rate.

Google, Yahoo, Apple, Microsoft, would never had a chance to start in Western Europe, in Sweden, in France, in Germany or in Switzerland, all this could happen in the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.